Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this email from a newletter so you might want to protect some of your plants if they need it.

Special e-gardens
Freeze Alert!
Monday, October 27, 2008
This most recent cold front overnight last night is spilling cold weather south of the Red River and into a large and unusually shaped area of the northern half of Texas. Areas that normally would not experience their first freeze until 3 or 4 weeks from now are likely to encounter it tonight, in some cases at record early dates.
Forecasters from the United States Weather Service, weather.com and meteorologist Brad Barton of the Texas State Network radio network have revised the expected low temperatures for tonight down by a few degrees as the day has progressed.
Since we only know you by your e-mail addresses and, therefore, do not know where you live, we are sending this to all e-gardens subscribers. I have asked Brad Barton to address the state as a whole in predicting tonight's temperatures.
Following Brad's weather update, you'll find my suggestions on protecting your plants.
Here is what Brad Barton sent us:
The cause of our cold temperatures, a Canadian High, will NOT be a symmetrical dome but rather an elongated "dog bone" shape with the top-end-bulge centered just west of Joplin, MO and the bottom-bulge near Del Rio. That makes it harder to visualize.
At 8 AM Tuesday, shortly after sunrise, the middle of that dog bone will run from roughly Sherman-Denison down to about Killeen and 70 miles west of that line. That means areas generally north, west and even southwest of DFW are likely to have isolated freezing temperatures for just a couple hours tomorrow morning. A second area of freezing temperatures could form an upside-down triangle from Sherman-Denison down to Athens, back up to Texarkana.
The character of the freeze is important to keep in mind. Winds will be nearly calm. The air will be extremely dry, not as likely to produce frost. But, actual temperatures may fall to, or below, freezing in parts of the area.

Local terrain and local micro-climates will be important. For example: Athens is over 80 miles southeast of DFW Airport, however low-lying grassy areas around Cedar Creek Lake are likely to run several degrees cooler than DFW, which has few natural basins to collect sinking cold air. Further, the DFW area has plenty of concrete and glass releasing all the solar energy they collected during the day. For that reason, Tarrant and Dallas Counties are not likely to be included in tonight's freeze advisory.

As it is right now, light winds and local conditions will have a great bearing on temperatures in the Hill Country, Central and Northeast Texas but we are expecting more of a light, spotty freeze for a much shorter time. If a slightly stronger cold front were moving in at dark, we could be looking at more widespread sub-freezing conditions for several hours.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Wow. great news! if it keeps up, opening weekend of deer season is going to be great!

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
It's about time!

Thanks for this post! I hadn't been watching the news ... Was going to wear shorts to work tonight.

Don't think I'll be doing that now.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The old men will talk about the weather, The old women will talk about old men( Randy Travis) We need a pipe busting freeze here in S.E. Carolina like we haven't in a time !!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I probably lost my Basil. Wasn't there a thread that said we are going to have a bad winter this year? I hope I don't lose my citrus trees.

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
Ahhhh, all you softies to the south.:D: -4 below here right now, got all the picking and canning done back in September.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, all is not lost on my Basil. I froze a bunch the other day. Plus, I'm growing more Basil in my aerogarden.

·
Old Toot
296 Posts
I had ice in the bird bath this morning but the larger quantity chicken waterer didn't have any. I did cover everything in the garden last night and everything there looks okay. Some flower beds especially the Coleus are history. Oh well that's North Texas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts