Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

I'm ADF member looking to responsibly utilize someones property out and around Townsville, willing to travel a reasonable distance. I wish to spend 2 days or so performing low impact camping and practicing my self sufficiency in bushcraft. I will obey any conditions you request for my time out (eg; No fires, no wood cutting, no hunting) if you have any. Just looking for a location that can guarantee not coming across another person, or seeing signs of previous presence like the good old orange peel or beer can.

If you can offer something along those lines i'd like to get in touch with you.

*I've attached a nice picture grabbed from last weeks trip out to The Big Bend at Charters Towers, i'm the far right bag.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you are not making fires, wood cutting or hunting, why not just wander into national park any direction? Its still legal to sleep in nature as far as I am aware. We have a million hectares of rainforest just north of you if you really want to rough it.
Otherwise if you want private property the best bet is probably joining local gun ranges, building up a network of buddies who will have access to various properties.

You probably won't get many leads here at any rate, the Aussie side of things is pretty dead on these forums.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are not making fires, wood cutting or hunting, why not just wander into national park any direction? Its still legal to sleep in nature as far as I am aware. We have a million hectares of rainforest just north of you if you really want to rough it.
Otherwise if you want private property the best bet is probably joining local gun ranges, building up a network of buddies who will have access to various properties.

You probably won't get many leads here at any rate, the Aussie side of things is pretty dead on these forums.
From what i can see on Govt websites, you need a camping permit to sleep in national parks and wont be able to just throw down a shelter anywhere...

In the meanwhile i'll take your advice and find my way into the firearm community up here. Is the Aussie traffic that bad here :/

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes not much traffic here unfortunately. Admittedly there are actually quite a few Aussie posters with decent post counts on the site but they mostly inhabit the other subforums.

·
It could always be worse
155 Posts
As Jash said, stealth camping.

Find a large portion of land, eg national forest where bush walking is a thing. Ideally get someone to drop you off so no car is left there overnight to give you away. Go deep into the trails and break track until you are out of visual range. If you are really after low/no impact camping, and are polite if found, you are extremely unlikely to get in trouble.

Another option is to look for public recreation areas (normally around dams and waterways). Here the rules are normally quite relaxed and, if in a rural area, normally not worried about people entertaining themselves provided they don't disturb anyone else or cause damage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats also a good option, while i'd like to avoid making ripples if caught, i'm pretty confident i could disappear in my surrounding scrub without anyone catching wind im there. Its just not my first preference that's all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
While they may not be exactly what you are looking for Tp, what about the likes of the "farm stay" and "You camp" websites. You probably wont find exactly what your looking for on them, but for the sake of a look......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While they may not be exactly what you are looking for Tp, what about the likes of the "farm stay" and "You camp" websites. You probably wont find exactly what your looking for on them, but for the sake of a look......
Oh wow i havent even heart of those sites, ill give them a go for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
message me, i know a few people who own properities up there. some of them are veterans, so i think they'll be more than willing to give access to their property. i'm sure i can arrange something

1 - 10 of 10 Posts