Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It best to say these are contemporary North American Indian recipes, no doubt tasty and good, but not like ancient Indians cooked. I have a friend who specializes in authentic American Indian recipes and they are extremely plain with virtually no spices at all. "Deer Soup" can be a piece of deer meat, water, and a burdock root. Period. I hate eating at his place, and unfortunately he takes the recipes seriously so there are no spices on the table when served.

But this is not to say some folks like it that way. I had a grandfather who insisted no spices be added to any meal while being cooked. Absolutely none. He said he liked the flavor of food without any spices.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks sweeper
outta curiosity more than anything , i wonder what was used in the recipes before baking soda and yeast packs were around? Seems an awful lot of the recipes use them. I figured there would be more basic ingredients used than what there are
I know yeast can be collected wild,but I have no idea what they might have used as baking soda or powder substitutes.:confused:

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Interesting site, I was loaned a Choctaws tribe cookbook from a friend at work for the weekend. I'll have to send him the link to this site.

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
23 Posts
to naturally leaven bread without bakers yeast you need sourdough starter. It is incredibly easy to obtain, just mix some flour and water and let it sit at room temperature for a day or two. you can find more details easily online.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
There is a book called Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden. It is gardening as the Hidatsa Indians of North Dakota did it. They have been farming long before there were bees on this continent. It had alot about the food they prepared. Very informative book.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How did the native americans get baking powder and dry yeast packages?

Not being a smartass, seriously. They must have had a method of carrying around yeast, keeping it alive, acquiring it?

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did the native americans get baking powder and dry yeast packages?

Not being a smartass, seriously. They must have had a method of carrying around yeast, keeping it alive, acquiring it?
Wild yeast can be caught on a breeze,also the white "powder " on some berries is a natural yeast.
Baking powder I have no idea,would assume they used some plant that mimicked it in cooking applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts