Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm negotiating a complicated rifle/ammo trade with a buddy, and he says he has a case of Norinco x39 AK ammo. He's estimating his ammo stash, and says if the deal "starts getting serious" he'll dig it all up, but if I recall correctly, this stuff was corrosive, copper-washed,steel cored ammo, and pretty good stuff.
I'm hoping for any concrete info on this ammo, especially an idea of what it's worth. Thanks.......;)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
You can't import the stuff anymore, what's here is all there is. I shot a bunch if the stuff in the late 80s and early 90s and don't remember is being corrosive. It is good ammo. It goes bang every time. As for what its worth I can't say. Worth looking at. I know this is not concrete but that's all I got. I'd like to have some.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
Its very mildly corrosive, about as corrosive as the Yugo stuff floating around.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Corrosive is no biggy. It cleans up with water or anything water based like windex. The ammo is steel core but not armor piercing. It does penetrate hard objects better than lead core though. Accuracy wise it's so/so. I still have some and Romanian ammo is more accurate, Wolf is about the same, Barnaul is more accurate, etc.

It's no longer importable and fetches higher prices now. A price would be hard because I don't see much of it other than the guys at the gun show trying to pass it off as "armor piercing" for 2 dollars a round or something like that.

I wonder if they're ever going to lift the import ban on ammo from China. I mean we import it from other nations. Why single out China? Oh well, politics doesn't have to make sense, just money.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
It's ammo, nothing special, I would just slap the market price for a case of Wolf on it.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Some of that Norinco has been claimed to be armor piercing. Which is a myth. It has been claimed to have a steel core. This may be true, but it isn't anything better than any typical 7.62x39 bullet.

Some people try to get premium prices for norinco ammo. However, the typical online price for russian import ammunition is $275 per 1000 which includes about $30-$50 in shipping costs.

I would use $200 per 1000 as a haggling price. Likely he bought it for $100-$125 per 1000 back in the Clinton years.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, guys:thumb:. Yeah, I know the corrosive ammo isn't a liability, i was just trying to clarify and identify the stuff.
I've been telling this (normally very knowledgable) freind that his steel core Chi-com ammo ISN'T armor piercing, but he has that stuck in his head.:rolleyes:
I just got an E-mail from him, he says he thinks this stuff isn't corrosive 'cause it's in green boxes, not the spam-can stuff. But,could the green boxes have come FROM a spam can, like that Romanian (Hot-shot?) ammo a while back? Or did that stuff come on stripper clips ?
I've already mentioned that I know he likely paid about 1/2 of what x39 is going for now, where as my lake City ran me $350 a case, and is now running $400-500.
I'm considering trading a mixed-race AR for a Hungarian AK,( not a AMD, it's a sweet sa-85) but if I trade ammo round-for-round, I'll obviously be taking a beating.I just suggested a 1-2 exchange rate, well see......
Anyway, thanks again to all for chiming in........

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
Shot a ton (maybe literally) of the yellow box norinco ammo in the early 90s and it was fine. Ahhh, leaves a sweet taste in your throat as you inhale the gun smoke, Probably some horrible carcinogenic chemical, but yeah it was great stuff!

As far as the steel cores go, they have a steel penetrator about the size of a 5.56 round if I remember correctly. We tore a few projectiles apart to see them. I would not shoot steel silhouettes targets with them, even if they are rated for rifles they will beat them up pretty bad.

Man this thread reminds me of the good old days when one was able to buy a chinese SKS + 1440 round crate of norinco ammo for $110 at gun shows... :D:

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
he'll dig it all up,
That's the part which would concern me, if I were you. :xeye:

I'd check a fair number of the cases for corrosion, if they're OK then jump on it with both feet. If you want a realistic idea of what its worth jump over to GunBroker.com and check ammo prices for what this is currently beinig sold for.

Once again, personally I'd keep this stuff set aside for dire need, I like to mix up magazines of this stuff with Raufoss cause you never know when you'll have to burn the crap out of an invading Zombie horde. :eek:

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
Old ammo cost ?? New ammo cost?? shipped, no taxes...

7.62x39 RUSSIAN WOLF FMJ
FULL METAL JACKET
NEW POLYMER COATING
20 ROUND BOXES NON CORROSIVE.........$239 shipped no tax

7.62x39 RUSSIAN WOLF FMJ
FULL METAL JACKET
NEW POLYMER COATING
20 ROUND BOXES NON CORROSIVE.......$259 shipped

Corrosive

7.62x39 EGYPTIAN MANUFACTURE
124 GRAIN - FMJ=FULL METAL JACKET
RARE BRASS CASED AMMO - BERDAN PRIMED
50 ROUNDS PER BOX....................500 rnds $139 and $229 per 1000 rnds

www.ammoman.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.