Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New member here new to all this stuff. I've browsed the forum a couple times in the past few weeks and figured Independence Day was a fitting day to join the site. I found the site through another message board with a survival forum that I frequent.
I have zero outdoor skills but am looking to learn all I can. I've always had a respect for nature and enjoyed going for walks in the woods, but never took it beyond a day trip. Admittedly I got more interested in learning wilderness survival skills after watching Survivorman, Dual Survival, and Ray Mears youtube videos.
I've always tried to live a sort of modern minimilist/green lifestyle. I've come to a crossroads in my life and I need to make a more long-term goal for what life I want to live and take the steps to make it happen. I'm at the starting line now and taking baby steps towards gaining the knowledge I need to reach the finish line. I feel this forum is a great resource to help me learn new skills and hopefully make some new like-minded friends along the way.
Thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience. I hope someday I can return the favor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, thanks for the replies so far.

@home in oz
Like I said I'm starting from scratch here. I am not self-sufficiant in any way yet, so that would be a no to all your questions. I don't even have a firearms license yet. I took the training course years ago with a friend of a friend, got the form from the police department, and then just didn't follow through. When I say I have zero skills, I mean just that. Firearms, gardening, food storage, etc. I feel it's both good and bad. The extent of my "camping" experience is sleeping in a car in the woods.

@intervivos
South shore suburbs.

@Eastowest
Sounds great. You're probably from around the same area I am.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Welcome
Lots of info and opinions here . Start slow - don't get overwhelmed .
Do you fish ? Plenty of places to fish in MA. . Fishing is a relatively easy and inexpensive survival skill to learn . An inexpensive (but not a cheap piece of crap) rod and reel , line and hooks , dig up some worms , a fishing license and you are good to go .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Woodswalker
I haven't fished since I was a kid. That is a great suggestion though and good place to start. Thank you. I may still have my old rod. I'll have to check later.
I plan on taking it real slow. Making a small list of goals and completing them before moving on. I guess you could say I'm putting myself through cub scouts, getting one patch at a time.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
129 Posts
Welcome from the South Shore!

In my humble opinion you should first start by looking at the "List of important threads" saved by Kev. This is located in the disaster and preparedness section. You'll get a lot of basic questions answered, that should help you with your lists. I would then get my butt down to the local Police station and get that Class A Unrestricted FID card. We live in a very...funny State. Even if you don't know if you want to own a gun, you should get this card sooner than later.

You'll learn a lot here. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcomes.

@Wash-a-shore Guy
I've been reading through all the sticky threads. Lots of good info and helpful advice. I will be getting a gun when I can afford it, but you're right I should just get the license now. Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts