Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont guess New Jersey needs too much help. Things may not be as bad as they seem.

If relief crews can be turned away because they are non-union workers, then things must not be "that" bad.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/02/New-Jersey-Turns-Away-Nonunion-Relief-Crews

WAFF-TV of Hunstville, AL reports:

Crews from Huntsville, as well as Decatur Utilities and Joe Wheeler out of Trinity headed up there this week, but Derrick Moore, one of the Decatur workers, said they were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't do any work there since they're not union employees....

Understandably, Moore said they're frustrated being told "thanks, but no thanks."
http://www.waff.com/story/19981857/decatur-utilities-crews-home-after-issues-with-union

SEASIDE HEIGHTS, NEW JERSEY (WAFF) -

The hurricane-ravaged east coast has been receiving north Alabama help, but crews learned they could not help out in New Jersey unless they affiliated with a union.

·
7,504 Posts
Anyone sensible that has already gone so far, will probably find they are appreciated in other places.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Unions control the trade there... My father used a fake name when he worked at the Garden for overtime cause of the union rules for overtime working.... I'm sure if them outside companies offered gifts to the unions in brown paperbags they would reconsider... Welcome to the Northeast....

147 Posts
I for one do not know all the details. I'm not sure how many really do. If the unions have legally binding contracts with local governments, what did you expect? It's a legally binding document and pure speculation leads me to believe that some union worker could file a grievance if a non-union member or a union member with less overtime hours performs his job, and the the already over extended local governments cannot afford it. I've heard how corrupt large city governments are, but unless you were a union worker, it's a rather complex beast to understand.

Maybe if people would stop building in areas where natural disasters are known to happen frequently, and if the entire nation would stop bailing out people that do such foolish things, we wouldn't even be discussing this. I personally feel that we'd be better off if both Kalifornia and Nueva Jersey just slide off into the ocean.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
I for one do not know all the details. I'm not sure how many really do. If the unions have legally binding contracts with local governments, what did you expect? It's a legally binding document and pure speculation leads me to believe that some union worker could file a grievance if a non-union member or a union member with less overtime hours performs his job, and the the already over extended local governments cannot afford it. I've heard how corrupt large city governments are, but unless you were a union worker, it's a rather complex beast to understand.

Maybe if people would stop building in areas where natural disasters are known to happen frequently, and if the entire nation would stop bailing out people that do such foolish things, we wouldn't even be discussing this. I personally feel that we'd be better off if both Kalifornia and Nueva Jersey just slide off into the ocean.
Whad do I expect? I expect our government to do all they can to help get things back on track after a disaster of any kind. It's what we all expect.

Throw the damn contracts away and get the lights on!! That's what I expect. Put the red tape in the trash and get things moving. Is that too much to expect? Guess so.

·
7,504 Posts
Qualified volunteers responding to disasters are welcome in most places. NJ just sounds stupid right now. The union guys will have more overtime than the state can afford, and they will soon find that they will be expected to put a cap on ot, or hire more people to work regular hours.

·
Hi HO Silver
585 Posts
I for one do not know all the details.
I agree with most all you have said... Instead of paying year after year for these disasters I say lets take one big hit and buy out any one that wants out, every one else is in a disaster area and you know it so good luck... I also feel that we need to help and have compasion but not every year and I am now talking about the Katrina area, they get hit every other year....
Let me brace my self...ok I am ready... :mad:

147 Posts
Whad do I expect? I expect our government to do all they can to help get things back on track after a disaster of any kind. It's what we all expect.

Throw the damn contracts away and get the lights on!! That's what I expect. Put the red tape in the trash and get things moving. Is that too much to expect? Guess so.
Reliance on the government is why people are in this predicament. Furthermore, we have no clue what sort of contracts there are with the state. Hence, it's a legally binding document. Whether it's right or wrong isn't the issue. My point is, that's our system. Either people want it this way or they're too caught up in pop culture to be concerned with how things work until their television won't bring in "X-Factor," "Real House Wives," or some other insipid show.

I don't feel one bit sorry for people that live in areas that are prone to flooding, hurricanes, tornados, forest fires, and a slew of other natural disasters that occur each and every year. If people would stop building in these areas, and the government would stop bailing them out, we wouldn't be discussing this because nobody would be fool enough, rich enough, or once the first disaster leveled their home, they'd move to a safer area.

I agree with most all you have said... Instead of paying year after year for these disasters I say lets take one big hit and buy out any one that wants out, every one else is in a disaster area and you know it so good luck... I also feel that we need to help and have compasion but not every year and I am now talking about the Katrina area, they get hit every other year....
Let me brace my self...ok I am ready... :mad:
I was alluding to that, but unfortunately I can't always bang out what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
On Hanity, he just reported that the visiting workers from Alabama had a valid contract in hand to do the work. The union jerks at the line were responding from a personal perspective, and shortchanged the relief effort while doing so.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAY!!!!!!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Dont you know.....

If it wasnt for unions:

There would still be children working in sweat shops

There would be no weekends off

There would still be pregnant workers having their babies during lunch break

There would be no 8 hr work day

There would be no paid vacations

There would be no work comp

There would be no smoke breaks

The evil boss man would still rule over his helpless workers w/ a cruel whip

The helpless worker would still be chained to his workbench....stuck forever in that same job....no hope of leaving and finding better/different work based on his own talents

etc

fill in the blank__________________________

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Reliance on the government is why people are in this predicament. Furthermore, we have no clue what sort of contracts there are with the state. Hence, it's a legally binding document. Whether it's right or wrong isn't the issue. My point is, that's our system. Either people want it this way or they're too caught up in pop culture to be concerned with how things work until their television won't bring in "X-Factor," "Real House Wives," or some other insipid show.

I don't feel one bit sorry for people that live in areas that are prone to flooding, hurricanes, tornados, forest fires, and a slew of other natural disasters that occur each and every year. If people would stop building in these areas, and the government would stop bailing them out, we wouldn't be discussing this because nobody would be fool enough, rich enough, or once the first disaster leveled their home, they'd move to a safer area.

I was alluding to that, but unfortunately I can't always bang out what I'm thinking.
I agree to some point. What I am getting at is, I really don't care about contracts and union red tape in an emergency situation! People with no power don't give a rats a$$ about contracts and union red tape crap as well.

Myself, I could go for a long time without power and live fine in that situation. My point is that union or not, things need to get done and that the skilled be allowed to work. The second that "State Of Emergency" is declared, the union contracts should be null and void.

·
Registered
682 Posts
They should reveal the company names of these people who turned away help and the people of NJ should boycott them and demand the state do the same. Prevent them from earning money since they would rather see the people of NJ suffer longer than needed due to their ideology. This type of behavior is sad, very sad.

·
Registered
780 Posts
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAY!!!!!!!!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Dont you know.....

If it wasnt for unions:

There would still be children working in sweat shops

There would be no weekends off

There would still be pregnant workers having their babies during lunch break

There would be no 8 hr work day

There would be no paid vacations

There would be no work comp

There would be no smoke breaks

The evil boss man would still rule over his helpless workers w/ a cruel whip

The helpless worker would still be chained to his workbench....stuck forever in that same job....no hope of leaving and finding better/different work based on his own talents

etc

fill in the blank__________________________
So says the guy with over 2,000 posts and only 3 likes. That's a pretty bad batting average.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So says the guy with over 2,000 posts and only 3 likes. That's a pretty bad batting average.
In fact the likelihood of you getting a like on anything you post is 0.00143129770% I don't contribute a lot here, but since I'm questioning your contributions I will compare it to myself. 0.86486486486% of likes to posts. Are you sure you came to the right place to discuss your feelings?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts