Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my apologies if this is already elsewhere on here but i couldn't find it. ive read a lot about gold vs silver investing (personaly im pro silver) but something seems off about this to me. here is my thought: In any mid to long term restructuring of society (see long level 2 or even level 3 situations) wouldn't "precious" metals be worth much less than pure "base" metals such as iron, steel, copper, lead, or tin for those tinkers, blacksmiths or normal repairmen? (interestingly pure silver would be useful in some electrical uses that gold is useless for) So do you think simple ingots of these useful useable metals be worth more to someone in trade in a rebuilding society? this was a plani had considered, a few hundred lbs. of each in ingot form to form tools, parts or just as trade currency? "precious" is a frame of mind, which is more precious? a gold coin or a sewing needle, a silver bar or a fishing hook, a diamond ring or one more bullet? what do you think?

·
Banned
2,754 Posts
IMO people who invest in gold/silver are doing it to hopefully be rich. And if you bought it 10 years ago you could sell it today for a huge profit. However if there is an economical collapse gold will be just as useless as paper money.

Base metals being useful would imply a structured society, one that is no longer bartering and is actually rebuilding. at which time some form of economical exchange will be taking place. PM will be valuable at such a time because people are attracted to shiny things. could not really guarantee you could make a profit however as the gold you buy today may not be worth as much in a demolished and then rebuilt society.

if you actually have blacksmiths to shoe your horse they are not going to do it for free. nor are they going to do it for the cost of the material, they need compensation for labor. even if you gave them triple the iron needed for the horseshoes eventually he is going to have more iron than is necessary, and the baker down the street wont accept iron for bread.

this is how economy grows out of bartering. if i have a spare goat to give you and all you have to trade is shoes. works great if i need shoes, if i need lumber however i dont want your shoes. i want the value of them in some form that is accepted by everyone i can use to trade for the lumber.

all that said. I would not invest in money. I try to invest in items that will be popular in any scenario, guns are a good choice IMO. I can always sell or trade a firearm in whatever financial system develops.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
In almost any rebuilding society there should be plenty of base metals in derelict structures and autos. There should be lots of salvage available if there has been a large loss of population.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
fullmetal - in a word, yes.
Lead, brass, sheet metal aluminum, steel, heavier gauge angles, etc. It takes a lot of power to produce these industrial metals - or repurpose them - and not so much, if you have it on hand to weld up or repair equipment.

That baker relies on metal: pans, ovens, racks, etc.

Think about fasteners too. How many grandpa's garages have you seen jars & coffee cans full of screws, nuts & bolts, nails??

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
If we are to the point you're using as an example, there will be ridiculous amounts of scrap metal available for salvage. Having a nice minted base metal coin or a bar of something won't do much when one could go rip a mile of copper wiring or scrap steel from the nearest abandoned building. You are correct in thinking that gold and silver would have diminished value at that point, but (this has been said countless times here) that is not what gold and silver are for. They are for storing and transporting a compact form of wealth through any scenario short of complete world wide extinction level events (aka Mad Max).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The problem with your scenarios is you're assuming that there will be a total societal collapse, as in Mad Max or The Road. In anything short of that, precious metals may still have value.

Notice I said "may have value". If I was on the Titanic, I don't think I'd trade you my spot on the lifeboat no matter how many gold coins you offered me. But, short of that maybe.

Think about those times in history when the world was in crisis. Even in mideval times during the high of the plague, gold still had value. Think about the period of reconstruction after the US civil war of 1860-1865. If you didn't have the coin to pay your taxes, you lost your land. More recently in the hyper, hyper inflation in Zimbabwe. Suppose right now Syrian troops have targeted your town and you have drop everything and escape to Turkey NOW.

Then of course there are personal SHTF situations. Maybe you lose your job and can't pay the mortgage. Or your business partner strips out your business account and leaves you penniless. Or you boat breaks down in foreign waters and the locals won't accept credit cards.

Precious metals are a prep item, not THE prep item. If you already have food, water, fuel, and shelter, them PM's are something to consider. BTW, also include the other precious metals lead, brass, and steel.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
even before the end of the world i have had good luck with tin. Just make sure you buy it under spot.Most casting alloy metals will be useful. Most of the scrap metal is worthless with out a lot of work. on the hand if a metal was casted once it can be casted a few more times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts