Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got through reading a post on dog attacks and wondered what I would do if confronted with one or more dogs that I KNEW were going to attack me or my family. Before reading the post on dog attacks I would have no fears about walking my dog in the park or around the subdivision or enjoying a walk with my wife. Now I am thinking "what if" which is always a good thing and that's why I love this board. So know I am wondering what would be some good inconspicuous weapon that I could carry without making me look like a physcho:eek:. I sure don't want to be discharging a firearm in the neighborhood unless its in my yard so I want to avoid the non bang weapons.

So here are some ideas that I have:

Hankerchief with padlock,

Some type of folding knife, preferably a flipper type. I already have the Kershaw skyline but it seems like it could be a little light. So if any of you have experience with a flipper that is sturdy please chime in.:thumb:

Also I was thinking of one of the telescopic steel batons. I did see one with a light that could be attached witch I really like. Anyone have any experience with the baton??

·
Mmm, oh, bacon
125 Posts
For a while, my dad carried around a screw driver when he would go walking at night, only because he doesn't have any knife that he can carry around that he is comfortable stabbing with.

I carry two knives:

-CRKT M16 10KZ --can't be opened at any decent speed, so it is a utility knife.
-KABAR 5-1/4" knife -- carried in the standard plastic sheath, upside down, under my right arm, and under a button up shirt.

CRKT makes a nice line of folders that can be opened with a flick of the wrist, but the one that I own is designed for safety rather than speed, plus it was the cheapest one available. If you get the ones with a four inch blade, those will open very easily, though they are generally around $100.

My KABAR is a kick-ass piece of carbon steel, and I would only deploy it if someone or something is trying to or going to use force against me. That 5.25" blade ought to be plenty effective for reaching through the ribcage of dog or criminal to the heart. That solid pommel ought to be able to crack skulls, though I haven't practiced such a maneuver.

I thought that kicking a dog would be enough to scare it away, but then I remember that a dog that would attack a six foot college student would definitely attack a small child. If a dog attacks me, I am going to kill it one way or another, either by strangling it or butchering it; vicious dogs ought to be put down before they kill children, like coyotes sometimes do.

If I were older then I would carry a handgun, legally if possible, and not care about the idiocy of neighbors complaining about gun shots. Your neighbors ought to be glad when you kill a vicious dog, because then their children are one dog less likely to be devoured while at play.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always thought Mag Lights were heavy for a reason. Kind of hard to justify carrying one all the time though. If it's an appropriate setting, a walking stick or cane is handy to have. I always have one because my MS makes me need it, but I tend to go for the heavier, sturdier ones.

Whatever you choose to use, you need to make sure your hand is always right by it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
1. Hiking staff with rubber tip removed has about 1" of sharp steel spike on the end.
2. Crkt flipper Special Forces M16 tanto folder
3. SOG Bowie if you can legally carry it.
Or a SOG Seal2000
4.an oak or hickory staff....-aged and 1 to 2 inches thick
5. Small camping hatchet on your belt.

·
11B3P
754 Posts
From experience faceing attacking dogs a staff or cane put in front of them
will brake their attack mode. No not laying on the ground but placed
upright in front :D:

In my dog bite experience, a barrier (stick/baton etc) will definitely disrupt their attack. I would recommend a large flashlight or a walking stick. Both are innocuous and able to be used against people also.
Most prey drives of dogs will be broken by that barrier.
Worst case, when you smash them on the snout or head they will decide to move on.:thumb:

·
Miles togo before I sleep
472 Posts
+1 on the staff or baton.

I've had more than my share of encounters with dogs and for the most part pepper sprays have proven ineffective, but the staff has always worked.

As for the knife option... really?... You will be bitten if not malled. :xeye:

I've even had a close encounter with a bear in Alaska and my staff saved my life. I also had a SOG Seal at the time but never even thought about using it.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
A lot of folks are seen walking with a golf club, or other blunt force object here. It's so common that nobody gives them a second look. And we're one of the lowest crime cities in the country. People are just being smart. As for dogs, they tend to respond pretty well to pepper spray. I think that'd be my personal choice. There are also sonic dog repellers that work pretty well too. They generate loud painful sounds that makes most dogs want to leave the area.

Unfortunately, I'm about to have to move back into the city, so I'm in the same boat and trying to make plans accordingly.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Op: IMO telescoping batons are useless..You might go to a farm supply type store and look at electric cattle prods...They use a common battery and are about 4 ft long...While walking it would be usefull to have....You can paint it black to look less flashy....IMO you have to get too close to the attacking animal to use a hand held tazer.........Of course anything can happen at any location....One of the reasons to Conceal Carry a firearm...
Do a Google search for Cattle Prods They come in various lengths..

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I had a pit bull try to attack my young daughter as we were walking back to my truck. All I had at the time was the 5.25 inch KaBar, it was enough . Now a days, I'm getting a tad older , and I carry a 1.25 inch diameter ash walkabout, 36 " tall with steel caps on both ends that are pinned. Dogs have a natural fear, it seems, of a human and a stick... must be something primeval there in the mists of time. A good stout stick will tame a feral dog or a feral human, but ALWAYS have a knife as a backup. As to dog attacks, you would be surprised how high a dogs pain threshold is in an attack mode .With a knife, I would definitely try to penetrate a lung ,if the opportunity presented itself. My primary targets would be the eyes and the arteries of the neck, you want to incapacitate the dog as rapidly as possible.Often, with a stick, the dog breaks off before it becomes necessary to strike.If you do strike, strike to break bone, legs are a prime target,and the facial/ muzzle area. TP

·
Registered
69 Posts
telescoping batons sound like a good idea...and are better than nothing but they are not all that. From personal experience I know they will not stop or slow down a determnined attacker regardless of whether they have two feet or four feet.

I also know that dogs are much harder to kill than you would think...pitbulls especially they are like or I should say they can be like berzerkers of the dog world.

Best advise when dealing with mean dogs is avoid if possible, and if not lead poisioning is probably your best option but remember what your target is and what is beyond.

This is from the perspective of a guy who has killed dogs before, will probably have to kill them again, and hated doing it. I took no comfort or pleasure out of it at all. Worst part was the stupid owners set those dogs on a collision course with the world by the way they raised them.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.