Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three vehicles, two motorcycles and a car. I decided to try straight gas in my two motorcycles, since I put 12,000 miles a year on them and only 2000 on the car. I got the gas at a local marina, 90 octane, and on average $.75 more per gallon, which adds $1.50 more per fill up on the small motorcycle and $3 more on the large motorcycle. Across the board I got five miles per gallon per bike under different riding conditions.

I put some 8, 000 miles a year on my Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, around town only, and 4,000 miles a year on my Honda Pacific Coast 800, almost exclusively interstate with occasional around town. (I ride it to distant locations to teach foraging classes.)

On straight gasoline my K125 went from 95.37 miles per gallon around town to just over 100 miles per gallon. I don't use it on the interstate (or rarely for short distances because it tops out at around 65 mph.) The PC800 went from 45 mpg on the interstate to 50 -- going 70 mph to 80) and around town from 55 mpg to 60. I had to adjust the idle down on both about 200 RPMs (which means a little less gas used idling at lights.)

Performance wise the PC800 -- already a powerful machine -- was decidedly peppier on the straight gas, particularly in lower gears. The K125 didn't show much performance difference except it, counter intuitively, ran quieter. Of course, each bike on real gas suffers less from the problems associated with alcohol gasoline

I didn't try the straight gas on my car because I gas it up about once every six weeks. It gets 24.5 on regular alcohol gas and 27.5 on high octane alcohol gas. In theory straight gas should add 75 miles to a tankful and $11.25 more per fill up. I only use it in severe weather or when I need to ferry something too large for the motorcycles.

What I do know is if they increase the alcohol content of gasoline I will definitely run straight gas only in my bikes.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Not only is mileage bettet with straight gas, on a two-cycle you save the engine. Quite a few people with chain saws found that out the hard way.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
Not only is mileage bettet with straight gas, on a two-cycle you save the engine. Quite a few people with chain saws found that out the hard way.
Count me as one of them. Only it was two chain saws and a gasoline powered blower.

I run $8.93.99 per gallon 110 octane race gas in my truck because it really runs like crap on gasohol.

. . it's not a stock engine. But still, it ran acceptably on 93 octane without the alcohgarbage in it. Now there is no gasoline available locally that doesn't have that crap in it except at the airport and I already got (informally) busted for pumping that into my truck so I can't get avgas any more (it was "only" $5.4X per gallon). :mad:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Ethanol messes up small engines. My KLR 650 sputtered out like it had ran out of gas & I had to push it about (after rideing around 140 miles that day) 3/4 mile home. The mechanic said ethanol gummed up my carberator & never to run it in any motorcycle.

I don't know why it doesn't hurt a car/truck engine but I always get the cheapest gas I can for my truck & have no problems. I went to KLR650.net & everyone agrees not to use ethanol in a bike. I haven't had any more problems since I started using real gas.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Now there is no gasoline available locally that doesn't have that crap in it except at the airport and I already got (informally) busted for pumping that into my truck so I can't get avgas any more (it was "only" $5.4X per gallon). :mad:
Why would anyone care what you did with the avgas? Who was it that busted you?

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
Why would anyone care what you did with the avgas? Who was it that busted you?
Neither avgas or race gas have road use taxes levied on them. Thus, the government really has a problem with "on highway" use.

Fortunately for me it was the fuel truck driver's boss that caught me fueling and simply told me not to come back without an airplane.:xeye:

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
That Alcohol Gasoline is hard on these big bike motors. I use a Harley additive in mine to lube the upper cylinders. I'm getting right at 42 with high octane with the additive wounder how she would act on some non alcohol.

·
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4,771 Posts
Does the lead in the avgas cause any issues?
Good question as all new car and motorcycle engines are designed to run on unleaded fuel. Even chainsaws and blowers. So I do not see an advantage in using AV fuel in these engines other than getting better MPG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts