Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking some things over today and I got onto wondering about if there were ways to muffle the noise of a rifle firing? That got me to wondering about which rifle is already the quietest from the factory?

I would imagine a 10/22 would have to be one of the quietest. However they still can easily be heard over long distances if your out in the middle of the woods.

I know pretty much nothing about the air rifles, but I would assume they are fairly quiet when firing as well.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice in this?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They make silencers for rifles. They also have laws governing the owning of silencers, and in some locales, on the use of silencers.

Check with your local law enforcement. You can also contact the ATF.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a silencer the only way? Im not looking for absolute noise reduction, but improvement so you dont announce to the world where you are.

Im just imagining that if you are in a BOL and you plan on ever doing any hunting it would be nice to not announce that your out there. Even if you feel you are totally remote, you never know who may be around and hear you.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Is a silencer the only way? Im not looking for absolute noise reduction, but improvement so you dont announce to the world where you are.

Im just imagining that if you are in a BOL and you plan on ever doing any hunting it would be nice to not announce that your out there. Even if you feel you are totally remote, you never know who may be around and hear you.
Ummm. That is called a silencer. Anything that muffles the report of the firearm. No offense, but perhaps you should reconsider asking in a public forum. Generally speaking, I cannot think of anything constructive to do with a silencer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
CB-longs?

Hello friend,

I have wondered the same thing. A friend of mine who has just retired from Army SF said .22 cal CB-longs might be better. They are sub-sonic, so don't make quite the report as regular .22 LR ammo.

I have a Rugger 10/22 also, and have tried CB longs a few times. They are louder than I thought they would be, but were a little quieter than regular .22 LR. I'm not sure the amount of noise reduction justifies their significantly higher cost, however.

Anyone else have experience with CB longs?

Take care!

Jeff

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ummm. That is called a silencer. Anything that muffles the report of the firearm. No offense, but perhaps you should reconsider asking in a public forum. Generally speaking, I cannot think of anything constructive to do with a silencer.
arrrrg..never mind, I think I'll simply just let it go.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello friend,

I have wondered the same thing. A friend of mine who has just retired from Army SF said .22 cal CB-longs might be better. They are sub-sonic, so don't make quite the report as regular .22 LR ammo.

I have a Rugger 10/22 also, and have tried CB longs a few times. They are louder than I thought they would be, but were a little quieter than regular .22 LR. I'm not sure the amount of noise reduction justifies their significantly higher cost, however.

Anyone else have experience with CB longs?

Take care!

Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff. If the longs meant the difference between being found or not than Id say the cost of them would be well worth it. I need to check into it myself and compare.

I know several of the people here have experince with the air rifles, I am curious to the noise they make. My understanding is that air rifles can be plenty powerful enough for small game hunting. I would guess their report is much more quiet than rifles, but I dont really care to go buy one to simply find out either. :xeye:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
a) There are no such things as "silencers". They are called suppressors. Calling them silencers is the same as calling a magazine a clip.

b) A suppressor will not give you absolute quiet, unless you are the bad guy in a TV movie like Columbo. It will reduce the noise to different degrees, depending on many factors, but the report is still quite audible.

c) For a .22 a suppressor will decrease the noise from the muzzle blast, but not the report from the bullet when it breaks the sound barrier. That's why some people like subsonic rounds in a suppressed rifle. However, a subsonic .22 round will not cycle most semi-auto rifles like a 10/22.

Suppressors are legal on a federal level, but highly regulated, and laws vary state-to-state. For instance, I can buy a suppressor here in Washington state (after paying a hefty tax), but if I want to use it I have to go to Oregon or Idaho because they are legal to own here, but not to use.

Check youtube, do a search for suppressor to get an idea of the noise levels.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thinking some things over today and I got onto wondering about if there were ways to muffle the noise of a rifle firing? That got me to wondering about which rifle is already the quietest from the factory?

I would imagine a 10/22 would have to be one of the quietest. However they still can easily be heard over long distances if your out in the middle of the woods.

I know pretty much nothing about the air rifles, but I would assume they are fairly quiet when firing as well.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice in this?

idk about you but when i am about 100 yards away from my brothers shooting in the woods i can't hear them shoot the 10/22. My quads to they are loud but once i get a fair distance from them its very hard to hear. but thats just me i dont see a need for a silencer or suppressor beside they are not easy to get they dont allow them where i live.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i heard u can try taping a 2 litre plastic coke bottle over the barrel, its may work for a few shots, at least the first shot..never tried it though..let me know if it works cause i live in the city and can only shoot at the range.

Goods Things,
Ranbo

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to look into some air rifles. I did alot of reading and looking around tonight on the internet, plus as fortune would be my Capt. just bought him a Gamo Viper Express shotgun/rifle and happened to have it with him in his truck so I got to take a good look at that. I am certainly intrigued. I'm wishing we had an air rifle forum right about now as Id love to be able to get some more input and knowledge on these things. I always have heard air rifle and the first thing that pops into my head is "toy". But these things certainly have some advantages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i heard u can try taping a 2 litre plastic coke bottle over the barrel, its may work for a few shots, at least the first shot..never tried it though..let me know if it works cause i live in the city and can only shoot at the range.

Goods Things,
Ranbo
Much quieter but not worth the jail time that comes with the federal crime of manufacturing a sound suppressor without a manufacturer's license from BATF.

I've talked to people who claim to have hunted with suppressed .22's with much success, but the $200 tax stamp for any Title III weapon or device doesn't seem worth it to me.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts

Goods Things,
Ranbo
That 2 liter bottle is either gonna cost you $200 for the tax stamp and an approx 2 month wait to get your Form 1 back from the ATF to mfr your own suppressor, OR $250,000 and 10 years in a Federal prison for NOT filing a Form 1.
Better to just buy a real suppressor the legal way if allowed in your state or skip the whole thing if not.

Anything that quiets the report of a gun is considered a suppressor in the eyes of the BATF, even if it is not its primary function.

·
Registered
806 Posts
ahem - there are ways to get quieter, but not totally silent rifles without legal trouble. It even used to be fairly easy. A .357 lever action with barrel over 22", using 38 special subsonic ammo, is no louder than a .22.

If you handload, nearly any long barrel rifle 30 cal and up can be made quiet with heavy lead bullets, and 3 grains of fast powder like Red Dot. Its burnt up within the first 12", and cooling and slowing after that. Don't use jacketed bullets, they can get stuck and plug the barrel. Ckeck out loads for .300 Whisper.

The reason its not used much is because slow bullets mean less power and highly arced trajectories. Why use a 30-06 downloaded to .38 special power?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts