1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Most smartphones are built with GPS functionality right out of the box- you just might have to pay to use it yourself. Ditto with modern vehicles. I'm not saying that for paranoia's sake; it's just a side effect of having such technology at one's disposal.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most smartphones are built with GPS functionality right out of the box- you just might have to pay to use it yourself. Ditto with modern vehicles. I'm not saying that for paranoia's sake; it's just a side effect of having such technology at one's disposal.
True, yet with my Blackberry I can choose to turn it on or off.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
This really ticks me off, secretly planting a gps monitoring device? I'm going to check both of my vehicles now, thanks for the paranoia PORTER! Just kiddin ya, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I normally don't get worked up about the latest political or legal shenanigans, but this court decision concerns me. In short, now in the USA (until hopefully this gets reversed by a higher court), police CAN place GPS tracking on anyone or any vehicle without a court warrant. This is scary.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/technology/chi-ap-wi-gps-police,0,5867383.story
1984 or draconia one or the other it's still a b rated political horror movie from yesteryear.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
To bypass being tracked with your cell phone is simply to remove the battery. If you have a GM car with OnStar, your screwed since there is no way to disable or remove it from the vehicle without also disabling the vehicle. I would have bought a new GM vehicle recently, but not so long as they have the OnStar system.

True, yet with my Blackberry I can choose to turn it on or off.
You can turn it off for your use, but not the tracking ability that the phone company retains and can be had by the police. The only way for you not to be tracked through your phone is to remove the battery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are so many people accepting Big Brother with open arms? This stuff is tyrannical.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
If that is the case, the office would at least have to show probable cause. A police officer can't just follow you. He has to have a reason. He can't just put a GPS on your car et cetera. He has to have a reason, and one that passes constitutional muster.

I presume the court viewed a GPS as no different than physical observation, tailing. I would think it all rests upon probable cause.

·
Grounded
1,501 Posts
If that is the case, the office would at least have to show probable cause. A police officer can't just follow you. He has to have a reason. He can't just put a GPS on your car et cetera. He has to have a reason, and one that passes constitutional muster.

I presume the court viewed a GPS as no different than physical observation, tailing. I would think it all rests upon probable cause.
From the article:

As the law currently stands, the court said police can mount GPS on cars to track people without violating their constitutional rights -- even if the drivers aren't suspects.
No probable cause is required.

·
Registered
882 Posts
NO more 4th amendment:(
its geting to where they can just do whatever they want and its legel now.
they told the American people the pateriot act was just for there safty not they were gonna start tracking and monitering millions of american citizens without a warrent and its nearly impossible to get a right back once its been lost but people never think of it untill its to lait

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
our cars and trucks have gps system in them to track our movements dureing work hours..
i have allways told my boss when out of town on work ..i do go places in the car that i take like to the bookstore and movies and other places when iam out of town for work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts