Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with home-based soaps and shampoos for several years. I've also tried to use household items for cleaning agents whenever and where ever possible. Baking Soda, Vinegar, Cream of Tartar, Lime Juice, and tons of other things can come in real handy.

For the last year or so, however, I've been researching and trying out the No 'Poo, No Soap thing. I started with a baking soda/vinegar replacement for the carcinogen-laced, industrial detergent known as Regular Shampoo. Eventually, however, I started to transition towards using no shampoo at all.

I absolutely love it! It took a while to transition, but my hair fills healthier than ever.

I've since researched a lot on the web about what is in shampoo and how others approach the no shampoo method. There is a lot of information out there!

One of the best starting points seems to be: http://beyondshampoo.com. You can read about the basic and the toxins in shampoo. Plus, you can post questions. It seems to be a growing community.

·
I DRANK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!
853 Posts
That's a good idea if it works. It's one less thing to worry about if SHTF...also less expensive and saves time. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Indians used to pack mud on their hair and let it dry in the sun. Try to avoid bad-smelling mud, it indicates rotting vegetation. Then they cracked the dry mud open, and the oils stuck to the mod leaving hair clean. This also had the effect of killing lice.

I myself have used clean wet sand to scrub my hair and body. I did feel a bit cleaner. I think I did it twice until I was satisfied.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are tons of home made soap and shampoo recipes, but to me, just going without is the best thing. It may not work for everyone, but it does seem to work for a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
vela... how long did it take without shampoo before your hair stopped smelling? I tried washing mine with water only for over a month and it smelled like wet canvas and became seriously greasy, so I gave up.

I now use terressentials which is a mud based shampoo. It works perfectly, but it's damned expensive.

Do you have a decent replacement for washing up liquid? There are all knids of nasties in that stuff, too.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vela... how long did it take without shampoo before your hair stopped smelling? I tried washing mine with water only for over a month and it smelled like wet canvas and became seriously greasy, so I gave up.
I think this varies for folks, and also depends on your methods. I started off with the baking soda vinegar method, then gradually went towards no shampoo completely. I didn't have much of a transition time, maybe 2 weeks.

If you had smelly hair, you probably should use something to help the transition process. There are tons of home made soaps and shampoos.

The mud-based shampoo sounds interesting. I wonder if there is a home-made alternative.... You might check out that link I posted, some folks are posting recipes on there.

Do you have a decent replacement for washing up liquid? There are all knids of nasties in that stuff, too.
By washing up liquid, I assume you mean liquid soap. Do a search on the net for that, you'll find tons of answers. Alternatively, go to http://beyondshampoo.com and post a question about what you are looking for. I am sure folks will have an answer for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts