Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on the forum and found a few posts about a good fixed blade knife but would like some specific information. I have a SOG Seal Pup Elite but want something else (in addition) when I go Cold Water Kayaking. I do mostly salt water so it has to be non-rusting. I have looked at the Spyderco Aqua Salt and Caspian Salt and the Benchmade 100Sh2o. Since it is usually 40 degrees or less out when I'm on the water I have gloves on which should be taken into consideration.

I prefer a fixed blade because if I do find myself in the water (perhaps tangles in lobster lines) I only have less than a minute before Hypothermia sets in (34 degree water plus wind) and unfolding a knife along with the prospect of dropping it in the process is not acceptable.

So does anyone have any opinions or preferences for such a knife? Again, I want fixed blade and would be something I would have on my PDF. I do not fish from the kayak so I'm not looking for a fishing knife.

Thanks in advance and hope this hasn't been covered in detail somewhere. If so, post the thread if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
My first thoughts were something cheap and full tang. Kayaking you have a good chance of losing it.

Then you mentioned getting tangled in lines, I thought quick and easy deployable serrated knife.

There are many knives that fit that bill, but I don't want to make a recommendation. Look at dive knives.

Tangled up under water sounds very deadly.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first thoughts were something cheap and full tang. Kayaking you have a good chance of losing it.
It would probably be attached by short line to the PDF. Most of my equipment on deck is lashed in one form or another. I'm not doing Sunday Excursions out there :). The shorter the line the better since one can easily get one around the neck if dumped into the water.

Tangled up under water sounds very deadly.
It's up near the top of my 'Fear List'! (Not many bears and sharks in cold ocean water)

Thanks kajunman1

·
Registered
256 Posts
i have a spyderco tasman salt. the H-1 steel is amazing, incredibly sharp. i would definately recomend one of the spyderco models.
+1

Best knife you can get is ANY of the spyderco salt models. For kayaking and stuff like that you don't want a fix blade. For cutting rope, you cant beat a serrated edge, but serrated edges are a little harder to sharpen, especially out in the woods or some other place far form home.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best knife you can get is ANY of the spyderco salt models. For kayaking and stuff like that you don't want a fix blade.

Thanks exodus125 for the Spyderco thumbs up but I really do want a fixed blade. If I'm in an emergency situation on the water (high winds, sudden large wave, etc) where I need to cut something loose I don't have the time to unfold a knife. Remember, the water is about 36 degrees and the air temp is well below freezing. (Yes, I have on a dry suit AND a wet suit.) Hands don't work so well in those conditions :). I'm would also be trying to hold onto the boat with one hand in surging seas. (See my avatar...no surging sea there however). Lose the boat and I'm almost as good as dead.

·
Registered
256 Posts
well, in that case get both, a fix blade and a folder. The spderco's have that hole in the blade that let you open the knife with one hand, even with gloves on.

Maybe a dive knife would be good for you then. I think a few company's make H1 fix blade dive knives, or get a titanium knife, but they dont stay sharp for long.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
or get a titanium knife, but they don't stay sharp for long.
This will not be an everyday use knife where I have to whittle wood, skin rabbits, stab wild eyed bears, or anything. It will just be an extra knife attached somewhere on me while I'm in the cockpit. My other knife is for when I arrive on shore to relieve myself or camp. It should be a knife I hope I wouldn't have to use.....but when I do want it, it better be sharp! I have a specific use in mind so that's why I'm being particular.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also, a few more notes:

H1 steel does not rust because it has little or no carbon. As far as i can tell, at least int he salts, the edge stays sharp. I cut up cardboard and rope all the time and the blade is still sharp.

Ceramic knives are great, but if you plan to use the knife for any type of prying it will be useless, the blades are brittle and break easily if abused, even a little. So brittle in fact that I don't think they even make fix blade survival type knives. I have seen only folders and kitchen knives.

Titanium doesn't hold an edge ( so I hear) .

So after considering all this, I think your best bet is a fixed blade h1 steel blade, doing a quick search, spyderco offers the caspian salt which is a fixed blade:

there is also this benchmade, which looks nicer ( to me at least) but I am not really familiar with them:

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, a few more notes:
I saw these and have the page bookmarked. Spyderco and Benchmark were high on my list but I just wanted some feedback from those more familiar with knives than I am.

The guy behind the knife counter at Cabelas was extremely knowledgeable and pointed me to those listed above. He brought me behind the counter while he went to various web pages of dealers the store doesn't even carry. Good dude. Even though I live in LL Bean country, I like Cabelas because every time I go in there is someone the who seems to know their ****. Bought my Mossy 590A1 there and the guys behind the counter were extremely patient while I asked dozens of questions and held dozens of shotguns.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I find it funny that not one person has recommended this knife yet:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/closeup.php?product=296

It's pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Disregard the MSRP, they can be found for much less on certain sites and ebay. I've had several Spyderco Salt models and they WILL NOT rust, also they hold an awesome edge, well worth the money, especially for a knife that may save your life one day. Also this particular blade comes in either serrated edge or plain edge, for your application I would recommend getting the serrated edge. Don't think of it as a hyped up bread knife either, Spyderco's serrations are like a razor and cut like one to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
They make these things called speed dialers for spyderco waved knives (the spydercos that have a little piece of metal that catches and opens the blade)

I thought that would be perfect for you, but they don't make any H1 waved knives that I know of. Google "spydero speed dialer", the sheath is really cool.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dionysus686 and exodus125 have mentioned the company although perhaps not this exact knife. It has all the features I'm looking for, a serrated or partially serrated edge, smallish, fixed blade, a hole on the handle, and quality. Thanks FLYBYU

·
Registered
256 Posts

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/closeup.php?product=296

It's pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Disregard the MSRP, they can be found for much less on certain sites and ebay. I've had several Spyderco Salt models and they WILL NOT rust, also they hold an awesome edge, well worth the money, especially for a knife that may save your life one day. Also this particular blade comes in either serrated edge or plain edge, for your application I would recommend getting the serrated edge. Don't think of it as a hyped up bread knife either, Spyderco's serrations are like a razor and cut like one to.

Agreed, id recommend any spyderco, but that one in particular looks too much like a kitchen knife to me.:rolleyes:

I can attest to the saltwaterproofness of the spydercos. I will take my spyderco salt and have it clipped to my pants or shorts, go fishing, submerge it over an over completely in saltwater for 6 or 8 hrs on an off. then go home and just rinse it in freshwater and its fine. There was a time I forgot to rinse it for about a week and I thought for sure it would have rust, but it didn't. Like I said, the little or no carbon in the blade makes it impossible to rust. I think its evident that H1 is the way to go.

Also, a good thing to point out, the spyderco caspian has a rope groove, the other knives do not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.