Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, there is no polite way to ask this question. So I'm just gonna ask: What is the best way to store your waste in a disaster?

I'm a bit ignorant on this subject. But if the SHTF and I have to stay in my house for upwards to a year or longer, what in the world am I to do with my, umm, you know, poop & stuff?
I know the extra water in my tub & fish tanks can flush it down the toilet. But that water won't last forever.
And what about the trash from your canned food and paper plates?

I certainly don't want it to pile up in my house. I suppose I could walk it to the end of my property and put it there, so I don't smell it.

Anyone else thought of this? I tried searching the forum for the answer, but I couldn't find anything. So I am sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I've thought about it. I came up with the idea of the scoopable kitty litter in the square buckets.

If it works for my cat, no reason it wouldn't work for my waste just on a larger scale.

I think if you buy the kind in the square buckets then you have your own storage spot. You go in one bucket that is filled with the litter, when it is ready scoop it into a used empty bucket and put the lid on.

·
Iēsous
8,704 Posts
crappy question:D:

seriously though, a latrine works, an out house type system perhaps or is that considered a latrine?

a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag inside , remove bag and bury or burn

i suppose

·
89' Supra Turbo 12.1 1/4m
89 Posts
i've been thinking about this lately. i already thought of a field a few blocks away where i can bury garbage. far enough away that it wont bother me but not too close so people dont see me going back and forth with all my garbage . . . they'll want my food if the see i have it

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
Heres a simple way. First get a metal 55 gallon drum and bury it so only 1/4 of the barrel is above ground level. Use a piece of plywood with a rock/brick ontop as a lid when not useing it. When it gets 1/2 full, pour some diesel in the barrel and burn it. If you wish, you can build a little shanty around it for privacy. Just make sure you can easily remove the shanty for when you burn the waste.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have friends that have been doing the compost toilet for years.

They use sawdust that you get from a petstore. About $6/bale. They use a plywood box with a toilet seat on top, which surrounds a white 5 gallon plastic bucket. Several inches of sawdust go in the bottom, then waste is added (the usual way!). If it's just urine, nothing need be done most of the time. For solid waste, add enough sawdust to cover it up a bit. When it gets to the top, they dump it in the yard. It has already started to breakdown and become compost at that point (5 in their family) and doesn't smell bad at all.

This is their only toilet facility. They didn't have water to their house until recently. The compost toilet is in their bathroom. They use the same thing for BBQ'a and outdoor parties for their friends. She sewed a little canvas tent to go over a pvc frame to make a collapsible style compost Johnny-on-the-spot. I used it many times, and it didn't gross me out at all.

So for during disaster times, have the bucket, a cheap $5 toilet seat from Walmart, a couple bales of sawdust/pet shavings and TOILET PAPER. Use of wipes may not work as well in this as toilet paper, but wipes could easily be put in a paper bag and burned inconspicuously. This compost method allows you to "go" in the privacy (and safety) of your own home and does not require digging or cause pollution of ground water like many other methods.

The book Humanure, mentioned by PrairieGirl, is highly recommended if you want to take a serious look at this.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The 5 gallon bucket idea that 300mag said is perfect. In service we'd bury it or burn it in a trench with diesel fuel. It stinks but it is sanitary after that for sure! The point is to make it easy, to keep it clean, and to keep it away from you, the family, the house, the pets, and any water or lakes. Be sure to use liners to keep things clean.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dig a hole & sprinkle powdered lime on it, the lime will keep the smell down and break it down into the earth faster & safer than burning it.

ALTHOUGH burning it along with a few politricksters in it would be fun !:D:

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
The 5 gallon bucket idea that 300mag said is perfect. In service we'd bury it or burn it in a trench with diesel fuel. It stinks but it is sanitary after that for sure! The point is to make it easy, to keep it clean, and to keep it away from you, the family, the house, the pets, and any water or lakes. Be sure to use liners to keep things clean.
I'm buggin out with YOU then if you got that musch diesel! :thumb:

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dig a trench in the ground about 4 feet deep. You can straddle the trench and directly in to it. Cover it up with dirt from the hole. When it fills up, dig a new trench. That's how we do it for extended stays in the forest.
OMG I can't stop laughing. I know you are serious. But I would give the term 'bug out' a new meaning if I crapped in my back yard with neighbors easily able to see me! I live on an acre but have no trees in the back. I still can't stop laughing at the thought!

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So for during disaster times, have the bucket, a cheap $5 toilet seat from Walmart, a couple bales of sawdust/pet shavings and TOILET PAPER. Use of wipes may not work as well in this as toilet paper, but wipes could easily be put in a paper bag and burned inconspicuously. This compost method allows you to "go" in the privacy (and safety) of your own home and does not require digging or cause pollution of ground water like many other methods.

The book Humanure, mentioned by PrairieGirl, is highly recommended if you want to take a serious look at this.
Do you think you can use those cedar shavings for pets instead of sawdust? Would it break down the same? If so, this sounds the best for me.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
OMG I can't stop laughing. I know you are serious. But I would give the term 'bug out' a new meaning if I crapped in my back yard with neighbors easily able to see me! I live on an acre but have no trees in the back. I still can't stop laughing at the thought!
:D: Okay, now I'm laughing too, that would be very funny. But what's even funnier is that your neighbors would be out at their trenches too. Communal $hitting anyone?

Seriously though, we're talking SHTF, so you have to go somewhere. When our girls discovered modesty, we bought a camping shower stall for $20 from Wal-Mart and cut the bottom out.. We even built a frame and put a toilet seat on it. But then the spiders moved in by the roof vent. I swear they didn't go to the bathroom for two days!

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Check out:
The Humanure Handbook

You'll eventually run out of kitty litter and human poop can be used as a compost safely.
My wife told me after the War In Korea they would use there "poop" in the fields to grow stuff (rice) but everyone got worms from it and the goverment told them to stop useing it.
I personaly would not use it we don't eat the same things cows and other animals eat that we use as fertilizer and I think our bodys don't brake down things the way theirs do.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have one of those tents and i have a portable potty. i'll use the potty when i can't use the toilet anymore. i don't plan on leaving my home in a disaster, so i think i'll use the cedar chips in the potty and use as compose as Brandybuck said. if i should have to bug out, i'll use my little tent cover. but if i have to bug out, i think all modesty will go out the window!

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
hey guys, y'all inspired me. Typing from the can as we speak, from see Aut Haus! Same composting methods as above, we date and store 12 months, then dump on (distant) redwoods, they say you can use it in your garden, but um, no thanks.

Also, we use peat moss. Our indoor toilet is a basement composter, a sunmar water closet mulstrum. Problematic install, and I like the "lugable loo".

Check my blog for a picture I have already of the outside. I'll send it up in a sec, and take an interior shot tomorrow when the sun is up.

-g
(blog link should be in title bar)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts