Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people ask questions as to "how many guns should they own" or "AR-15 Or AK-47?" those people don't understand that they can survive through a SHTF scenario without the springfield armory in their basement. You also don't need an AR with the most expensive scope, flashlight/laser, ect. You don't need to waste your money on buying 30 guns and the latest accessories for them unless of-course, you have the money/time to waste or don't wanna eat when SHTF. You are only one person, you can only fire one gun at a time. In my opinion you only need four essential, basic, dependable guns. These guns would cover every role you would need to survive. Guns are tools, each with it's own purpose and use. I know guns break down but you can buy spare parts instead of buying a whole other gun that you dont need.

A basic 12 gauge shotgun, handgun, medium caliber rifle (.223/5.56x45-.308/7.62x39) and .22 caliber rifle. Shotgun for home defense and hunting. Handgun for home defense, hunting and backup combat weapon. Medium caliber rifle for Hunting and combat. .22 rifle for small game hunting and practice.

Even an SKS with a S&W .44 mag would be sufficient to survive. When you look into buying your guns look for reliability and a widely used caliber. My favorite would be the SKS, simple, enough power and reliable.

Unless you have the money to buy every gun you would ever need, stick with the basic 4-pack. The money you save on guns is better used on fortifying your house/car and stockpiling food, ammo and other material necessary for survival.

I know this will create an argument but be nice with the comments, if you you respect my post I will respect your replys but please I would like to hear your feedback on this topic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You say 4 is not an arsenal, but 5 or 6 may be. Hmmmm. OK, I have 4 and a backup for each. Is that an arsenal? I say no. To me, an arsenal includes, MG, grenades, mortars, RPGs and C-4.
im not saying any more than 4 is and "arsenal" im just saying 4 is the basic amount you need.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
I agree with letsgetreal, to you more than 4 is an arsenal(or overkill) but to many more than one is, to me an arsenal is something else. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I do agree with your logic that if you have those 4 you're pretty much covered across the board, however there is nothing wrong with owning as many guns as you want. I've been buying guns for 10 years and have no plan of stopping anytime soon.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I agree with his premise though. In my situation,I am well set up ,weapon wise. It would be money better spent on ammunition, food,water and medical preps. But that's just me. TP

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I completely agree, with a few additional thoughts. The weapons you choose should be of high quality, reliability, accuracy, and rugged. I dont mean high quality meaning expensive or fancy; but superbly enginnered and well made (Enfield, 1911, Garand, etc.)

I would prefer the primary fighting weapon be of high caliber, especially if it is your only true combat weapon. For instance the .223 vs .308: If you have only one rifle, the .308 gives better distance and penetration (which is needed in an urban environment more than anywhere else). Okay, bigger calibers may require more practice to master, but that is purely a matter of actually going to the range and doing it. Which is what everyone should do anyway, even with a .22.

Absolutely a .22 rifle is needed to keep the eyes in practice of using iron sights and the finger conditioned for pulling triggers.

A reliable sidearm is a must whether urban, suburban, rural, african safari, or grocery store environment. It is the daily chore companion, and should be worn at all times. By design, its job is to be right there when called upon in split-second notice. It is faster than a rifle on your back, is concealable, and requires only one hand to operate. It's for the "right here, right now" response that no long arm can provide.

I disagree that a shotgun is needed. Shotguns are more suited to hunting birds than fighting. A more accurate(bolt action) and lighter weight rifle than an MBR(reduced capacity) will give you plenty of meat for the fridge. I believe a pistol is better suited for in-home defence than a shotgun: 1. It ocupies only one hand where the other may be needed for opening doors, turning on lights, wielding a flashlight, calling 911, etc. 2. One hand operation means ambidexterous if other hand is injured. 3. In a struggle, the sidearm is still useable.

My perfect list.
M1A mil-spec with Tri-power ACOG
Steyr Scout in .308 and Shepherd scope
Colt Lightweight Combat Commander with Hogue grips and night sights.
CZ Training rifle.

This combination gives you a top-line MBR, Field/hunting rifle, Sniper/tactical rifle, training gun, small game gun, and a trustworthy sidearm. Remember, one excellent rifle wielded by someone who masters it wins over a safe full of guns owned by a novice.

·
Banned
159 Posts
I aggree , 4 is basicly all you need .
I strongly disagree with what Jeffrey said about a shotgun not being needed and is only good for hunting birds .
1 , whats wrong with hunting birds ?
2 , they've been used for hunting deer for many years and is the only gun you can legally hunt deer with in this state [ other than primitive , black powder rifles ]
3 If they are no good for fighting , how come LEO's and the military have been using the shotgun for many years ?
4 most people who have only one gun own a shotgun .
5 imo , the most versitile gun you could have

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I think of an arsenal as a supply of many of the same gun, thousahds of rounds of ammo, and plenty of mags to supply a small groups of <5-10 people. I base my low number on most familys i see have the father, mother, and three kids(assuming each kid is of age). I also know ALOT if hunters that have a bunch of different guns but just like most things they all have their purpous. A .22 isnt anElk gun. The 30-06 wouldent be used as a small game rifle...

backups are not included imo, they are just that...a backup or parts gun. Its no different than having two guns and enough spair parts to rebuild them time and time again...which isnt a bad idea.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been planning on the 5 pack path myself. I bought the 10/22 all weather model last week.

My next purchase will be a shotgun this weekend. Probably something with a shorter barrel, pump action, and plenty of accessories for it. After that comes a pistol in .40 or .45 most likely. After that will come either an AR or a Beretta CX4 Storm in whatever caliber my pistol is. After that will be which ever one of the last two I haven't purchased yet.

And in between all of them..... AMMO AMMO AMMO!

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I've been planning on the 5 pack path myself. I bought the 10/22 all weather model last week.

My next purchase will be a shotgun this weekend. Probably something with a shorter barrel, pump action, and plenty of accessories for it. After that comes a pistol in .40 or .45 most likely. After that will come either an AR or a Beretta CX4 Storm in whatever caliber my pistol is. After that will be which ever one of the last two I haven't purchased yet.

And in between all of them..... AMMO AMMO AMMO!
do you have a higher power rifle than that .22? If not i'd skip the CX4 and look at somthing like the Keltec U-16c.

·
survivalist in the making
153 Posts
Mine is based on family and significant other. Plus i stick with milspec weapons because after being in a combat zone ive seen weapons canibalized.
Do i need a .50cal no but could my group benefit from 2-3 ar15s plus some parts kits? Maybe they could.
I do agree with not needing all the doodads that go with the flare.

·
Obamageddon Survivor???
1,178 Posts
Do I need the entire Springfield Armory? YES :thumb:

But that has nothing to do with survival, I agree people just NEED the basics
a shotgun, a rifle and four wheel drive....

And having Mr. Colt at your side never hurts :cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was thinking in addition to or possibly in place of the 22 rifle a 22 caliber high powered airgun instead with tons of ammo that is availible super cheap, while it might not have the range of your standard 22 it would be a great small game gun and in the event of an ammo shortage it would be quite easy to make your own. I bought me one a while back and while doing target practice on a piece of plywood laying against my barn I realized I was shooting through the plywood and on some shots completely through the tin on the barn.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I completely agree with you only I would substitute the sks for a levergun. There isn't a reason not to have many guns however. Once you have the essentials covered the rest turn into a collection/hobby. Nothing wrong with that!

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I'm glad I can make my own choices and I don't have to listen to someone who thinks they know what is best for me.
I'm the only one that can determine my needs and what I feel is the proper balance of food, supplies, guns & ammo.
No one knows what I may need in the future.
Most of us have family members that might have to be armed as well.
I also consider my firearms a hard asset to be passed on as an inheritance.
Redundancy is an essential element of survivalism.
I'd hate to see a stack of ammo rendered useless because my only AR went KB.

For me and the family, 4 firearms of every popular caliber is more like it.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts