Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Off the leash
2,882 Posts
That doesn't surprise me at all. The one here locally hasn't been getting in a lot of new merchandise for some time now. They have some cheap Christmas paper and junk but the decent cleaning supplies, books, and health and beauty products are either way done or just gone.

I don't know if it's because they are getting ready to raise prices or just can't get stuff.

·
Registered
857 Posts
No surprise. Most of the dollar store merchandise comes from China. Somebody has to pay the cost of all those shipping containers sitting around, and it isn't going to be the businesses, it's going to be us.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I'm intrigued by some of the canned goods at Dollar stores for prepping, maybe a butane lighter but that's about it. My fatal flaw is that I compare them to 100 Yen stores in Japan like Daiso. (100 Yen is roughly equivalent to a buck.) The 100 Yen stores in Japan tend not to carry needless dollar crap but products that are usually well thought out and designed for practical living.
At least here though we have people of Walmart and people of dollar stores. Sorry folks, Japan does a lot of things better like 7-elevens, dollar stores and trains. Sad that we haven't learned a few things over the decades. Just my 02 cents. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff at Dollar Tree, some things I just like better, some are better prices. lately they have been downsizing things to keep the dollar.

some things are cheaper elsewhere. the salmon is cheaper in larger bags at Walmart, the kitchen and bath cleaners with bleach are 96 cents at Walmart.

but I will miss buying my Stax...my favorite chips and Walmart is like $1.29 for them...

but a lot of the cleaning supplies are still cheaper at $1.25, the febreze knockoff, carpet cleaner knockoff, and lots of other cleaners are like 400% cheaper, and I prefer their TP and kleenex to the thicker more expensive stuff at the box stores that clogs up the toilet...

·
Purrpared
1,041 Posts
Will miss the school supplies and seasonal decorations; I had an autumn wreath I made from garlands there that lasted eight years before a violent hailstorm took it out. Once the stuff they sell goes above a dollar there are other sources where for about 50 cents more I can get a better quality product. That store was always just for the price for us. Much like the dollar menu at Wendy's once the price rises there's no point to it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It started with the 5 and 10 stores back in the 50's.
Bonnesen's, which has been serving this Iowa community since 1951, is a true variety store. You'll find plenty of nostalgia-inducing hard candies and chocolates as well as cute little toys and other notions. But you'll also find plenty of useful household items, too, like kitchen gadgets and hardware, making Bonnesen's a beloved part of the town's fabric.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,294 Posts
Just went there today.... everything still a buck or less PNW

tooth brushes and paste almost empty... usually way overstocked and many items to choose from.

shelf boxed cookies, and other junk food low levels, other items chips in cans well stocked, as well as the bagged snacks.

It looked like specific items were low, they had gossners UHT milk all types and picked up 4 whole milk quarts.

freezers full of the normal crap, energy drinks looked normal as well as the liter and 2 liter soda.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts