Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know, a Lee Loader is a simple, inexpensive, entry-level reloading tool with the ability of being easily hauled in your BoB or within your shtf gear. They're available at most outdoor chains like Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, Cabela's, D¡ck's, Academy, local mom n pop shops, etc..

The Lee Classic Reloader is the perfect kit for someone who would like to start reloading one caliber without breaking the bank. Contains everything you need to begin loading (except a hammer). Kit includes Sizing Die, Decapping Chamber, Bullet Seater and Priming Chamber, Priming Rod, Powder Measure, load data, plastic case and complete instructions
actual size:

Cliff Notes video:

That old dude ↑ can really load 'em quickly!

Detailed explaination video:

This is a most excellent component to have on hand for you Mosin shooters

They're available for loading shotshells, too.

Even if you don't reload this is a MUST HAVE item to have on hand if you're serious about prepping. It's not unreasonable to suggest getting one for every different caliber firearm that you currently or forsee owning in the future. Along with a good supply of primers, powder, bullets, and a quality brand bullet mold, you're GTG

Once you shoot your own reloads you'll be hooked. It's very rewarding

FWIW, they're also available on eBay for $20-$35

·
Registered
21,867 Posts
Only downside is that I learned you can't do a full length resize using this kit, which means a no-go for semi-autos. But single shot, bolt/pump, or revolvers would be fine

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another useful purpose the Lee Loader may serve is (along with a kinetic bullet puller) is seating softpoint bullets in non-reloadable Berdan-primed cases for shtf big game hunting. Use the kinetic bullet puller to remove the military FMJ bullet, then replace with SP using the Lee Loader

Regarding imported brass cases:
Berdan= two flash holes (non-reloadable)
Boxer= one central flash hole (reloadable)

There's no such thing as "mildly corrosive". It is or it isn't..

I've never seen one of these before!

I may have to pick one up so I can try reloading out without breaking the bank
Awesome! Lots of useful reloading information available in books and online. A Lee press and scale costs under $50. Get started soon and don't be intimidated. Watch YouTube videos pertaining to the subject

Only downside is that I learned you can't do a full length resize using this kit, which means a no-go for semi-autos. But single shot, bolt/pump, or revolvers would be fine
This is true. That's why i titled it directed at the Mosin shooters. Glad i saved all of my reloadable S&B 7.62x54R brass over the years.. I started loading centerfire handgun using a LL

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :))
Thank YOU!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I reload and love it. Mosin ammo is so cheap I wonder if you really could reload it much cheaper than you can buy it? The one benefit already mentioned is that you could load some with good sp hunting bullets.

Where I really save the money is on non-Eastern block defensive ammo, especially hollow point and psp rounds for both hand gun and rifle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another useful purpose the Lee Loader may serve is (along with a kinetic bullet puller) is seating softpoint bullets in non-reloadable Berdan-primed cases for shtf big game hunting. Use the kinetic bullet puller to remove the military FMJ bullet, then replace with SP using the Lee Loader

Regarding imported brass cases:
Berdan= two flash holes (non-reloadable)
Boxer= one central flash hole (reloadable)

There's no such thing as "mildly corrosive". It is or it isn't..
Common misconception, Berdan primed cases ARE reloadable, you'll just have a fun time trying to find more Berdan primers :thumb:

·
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)
3,059 Posts
I save a bunch of money using one of these for my .22 Hornet rounds. Only problem I had was the depriming pin/tool would get stuck inside the casing on a few of the different (Hornandy) rounds.

Overall I'm glad I got one of these. I've saved hundreds of dollars so far!

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,834 Posts
The hardest part isn't finding Berdan primers, it is removing Berdan spent primers, usually you must resort to some sort of hydraulic method (using water pressure to pop the primer out)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You're buying brass 7.62x54r you are wasting your money on ammo, unless it's specifically for wild game hunting. The round is still so cheap to buy in bulk I personally don't see any advantage of having this tool to reload.

Reactions: Hammer5513

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,834 Posts
This interests me greatly... funny thing is I found a local range two days ago with a ton of brass nagant rounds laying everywhere.... i picked them all up...
Are the Berdan or Boxer primed? Are they brass? If they are steel and/or Berdan primed then you wasted a bunch of time...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A lot of guys reload berdan primers. You can buy them when you find them online or at gunbroker. You need a way to remove them and I know of 3. You can chuck them in a small lathe and drill a hole from the inside followed with a punch. If you do that, you can then use boxer primers but you might have to resize the pocket.

If the pocket is too small, use a pocket reamer. If it's a touch large, use a slightly oversized ball bearing (from Ace Hardware) and hammer to upset the brass inward, and then swage or ream it.

Another way is to simply drill a hole in the primer and use a pointed tool to pry it out.

The third way is hydraulic. You seal the top end of a Lee resizing die by welding, epoxy or a bolt, fill the case with water and run the die down with a press. The pressure will pop the primer.

Now you can either use berdan primers, or drill a hole in the center of the primer pocket to match a boxer hole, be sure of pocket size, and use a boxer primer.

It's extra work the first time, but I get an average of seven reloads on brass, so it's just once to fix the brass.

Berdan pry tool made from concrete nail.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of your useful input. The main focus of this thread was to allow preppers who might be in a situation where the only ammo they have on hand is (440rd spam cans) FMJ military stuff and might need to use a softpoint bullet to put meat on the table without having to track a deer for five miles in the snow or into dangerous/occupied areas because there wasn't a blood trail, or you thought you completely missed the shot. One advantage of having a kinetic bullet puller in conjunction with a Lee Loader would be to pull the softpoint bullets of any old .308-.311 dia cartridge (.30-30, .308, .30-'06, .300 Magnums, etc..) and load it into your 7.62x54R case (or vice versa). Same applies for .223/5.56.

Terminal ballistics of FMJ military bullets is sketchy and unreliable on big game. Sure you may use full-metal jacket for hunting in a pinch, but the bullet might not yaw and produce a pinhole-sized wound without leaving much of a blood trail, or will yaw (tumble), break into fragments and under-penetrate. There's a reason FMJ bullets are illegal for hunting big game in most states.

Not just nagant owners....psl owners can benefit, if you want to squeeze every bit of potential from the psl...
This Lee Loader isn't the best choice for autoloaders because it doesn't resize the entire case, just the case neck. It will work in a pinch though, your PSL/Dragunov will just have to be used as a single-shot for hunting

1 - 20 of 61 Posts