Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Verizon cel service is out in some areas.
If we needed to use our phones for ANY EMERGENCY, nope, nothing.
Zero phone service.
It will be an eye opener with the idiots coming through.
Buying a pay as you go SIM card to see if that will work for emergencies.

Let's see what items will be off of the store shelves!

·
Registered
75 Posts
There has been no Verizon service for 5 hours now. And no landline.
And now the games begin. No cell service also means no GPS, No credit/debit Point of Sales transactions and no 911. Transportation companies with online tracking are also SOL. The next 7 days are going to be festive. Anyone who thinks the S will HTF on Monday should wait until Tuesday...that's when it really affects Oregon.

Glad I live in Washington, don't plan to drive to town anytime soon.

Ez

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
How is the traffic on the local VHF/UHF repeaters? It's great being a ham when stuff like this happens.

SC cell is still good. I work for ems on Saturday, in Anderson, SC on Lake Hartwell. I usually work close to RW, but got switched up and will be farther out. I figure cell will get tough to hit, our 800 MHz system will get goofy due to volume by 911 agencies and the like, but Ham may be good. We have 8-10 good repeaters near my AO, and can get that many at ems. I'll probably take my spare mobile and run it in the QRV for a backup plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Wait--what is causing the outages? No cell phone service, no landlines?

Is it being appropriated by emergency services or what? Too many people trying to use the available service?

That happened here during hurricanes Rita and Ike. FEMA 'confiscated' cell phone services so they could use them for emergencies. Sure made communicating with loved ones impossible.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
And just the fact that no cell phone service or landlines are available seems a golden opportunity for terrorists or Antifa to perpetrate an attack.

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Verizon cel service is out in some areas.
If we needed to use our phones for ANY EMERGENCY, nope, nothing.
Zero phone service.
It will be an eye opener with the idiots coming through.
Buying a pay as you go SIM card to see if that will work for emergencies.

Let's see what items will be off of the store shelves!
It may be that 911 will work even if regular cell service is FUBAR. I'm basing this on domestic violence survivors have been given cell phones with no service plan for the 911 capability (often-times the abuser takes the victim's cell phone to prevent him/her from calling for help, but the victim can still call on the cell phone that is unknown to the abuser). Also, in rural areas, I have often been able to get ahold of police dispatch via 911, when I did not have cell service. Makes no sense unless 911 works differently or there are more/different/dedicated 911 circuits, but I'll take it.

A friend of mine in the path of totality said the locals have already stripped the shelves bare of bottled water in anticipation of shortages and infrastructure failures when the "mooncusts" "suncusts?" descend upon them. Some stocked up for resale at exorbitant prices, too. All those people descending on an area gives a whole new meaning to the term "sun eater."

·
Off the leash
2,532 Posts
We heard a couple days ago an announcement come across our scanner to emergency personnel that their Version service would be out for unknown amount of time. Haven't heard anything further tho.

We have AT&T and never have good service in our area anyway. :mad:

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I never expect my cell phone to work in rural areas. It's spotty at best when there aren't extra people using Google maps to get around and trying to stream Netflix to keep their kids entertained.

There's a reason I pick up a map of the state I'm going to be in at the first information center if I'm getting off the main roads. They're free and they work without cell service or electricity.

Your service may be out as they scramble to add equipment to the system in order to handle more load next week.

The local hole in the wall hotels in rural areas are charging $500-$1000 for a roach infested, smelly room. I'd rather sleep in a tent. But the camp sites are not much better. I think this state is going to be on the lower end of the estimates, but who knows.

Here's the latest alert that came through work.
Be Prepared for Solar Eclipse with American Red Cross Safety Tips (if you are planning to travel):

• Pack an emergency kit in case you get stuck in traffic or can’t find a place to stay. Include water, non-perishable food, a flashlight, battery-powered radio, first aid kit, medications, supplies for an infant if applicable, a multi-purpose tool, personal hygiene items including toilet paper, cell phone chargers, extra cash, blankets, maps of the area and emergency contact information.

• Be informed. Learn how officials contact people in the area you are planning to visit in case of an emergency.

• Let family or friends know where you are going and the route you plan to take to get there.

• Arrive at where you plan to watch the eclipse at least a day ahead of time.

• Check the weather forecast ahead of time and throughout the day.

• Create an emergency plan. Determine a location to meet in case someone gets separated from your group, and where to go if severe weather occurs.

• Because cell service may be overwhelmed, print out your directions.

• Know where you’re staying at night. Hotel rooms along the eclipse route are mostly sold out, and rentals are extremely high in some cities. Plan to camp if necessary.

• Keep your gas tank full so you don’t run out while stuck in traffic.

• Download free Red Cross apps to help you be better prepared. The Red Cross app “Emergency” can help keep you and your loved ones safe with instant access to large-scale event tips, weather alerts as well as the location of any open Red Cross shelters. The Red Cross First Aid App puts instant access to information on handling the most common first aid scenarios at your fingertips including heat emergencies. Download these apps by searching for ‘American Red Cross’ in your app store or at redcross.org/apps.
They forgot to add bring $500 for parking. :D:

·
Indefatigable
21,128 Posts
OP has the cell company or the landline phone co issued a statement on the outages? I would be very interested in knowing exactly HOW eclipse tourists have effected their service. I am sure you have a link and just forgot to add it - right?

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
So this whole thing is turning into some sort of cult-like event. Weird.

I guess it's a generational thing.
There are local public interest news stories on how to prepare your pet for the eclipse. Everything from getting sun glasses for you pets to putting them in a room before hand and dimming the lights to get them used to it. Hilarious:).

Guy called in to a local talk show and wanted to know where he could get glasses big enough to fit his donkey.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You'll be in my area then. Today there were a hundred people at a local pawn shop but glasses for Monday and they'd sold a lot of pistols in the last couple days too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
We had some Verizon issues yesterday (Central Oregon). Seems to be ok now. I haven't tried calling but text seems to work

Droid did it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
We're in Central Oregon and have Verizon. No issues at all yesterday or today.

I have no loyalty to any company but I've used Verizon for many years as I just haven't had any problems. If/when I ever do, they're history. :D:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts