Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate on an optic for my new varmint rifle I decided on the Nikon P-223 3-9X40 BDC 600.

From the Nikon website: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/p-223-3-9x40-bdc-600.html

• Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem /5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullet
  • BDC 600 reticle offers shooters unique open 
circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards.
  • Precise, 1/4-MOA Hand-turn Tactical-Style Turrets
  • Waterproof/Fogproof: Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed.
  • Fully Multicoated Optical System: Provides up to 98% light transmission and maximum brightness from dawn to dusk.
  • Zero-Reset Turret Feature.

When sighting in the Nikon P-233 I was undecided on the adjustment turrets. Why are the adjustment knobs exposed? Is there something wrong with putting the adjustment knobs under a cap like most hunting scopes are designed?

~~~~~Will add more to this post later~~~~~~

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,804 Posts
I put that same scope on my DPMS AR and it works well for the little bit I have used it. I am sure it has features I don't use. I zero all my scopes at 50 yards and use my judgement at longer ranges. All those years of calculus and I can pretty much figure elevations in my head once I see the trajectory for a bullet type.

if you want to get fancy, they have ballistics apps for smart phones where you tell it the bullet weight and a few things and it will tell you what to dial into the scope I think. I saw a couple youtube videos also on how to dial in AR15 turret scopes. Some people mount the scope rather high to clear the grab handle. Mine is mounted low on the barrel (no grab handle), so less corrections need to be made for the scope being 5 inches or whatever above the barrel.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,418 Posts
I like the fixed 3x over the 3-9. It has greater clarity and brings in more light. I guess depending on the size of your varmints, the 3x or 3-9x would work out just fine. Seems like the Nikon 223 3-9 is just a Prostaff with different turrets. For a little more eventually look at the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 with mil-dots and OA. The OA makes a difference when you really need to tweak things a bit. Although the Nikon glass will be clearer than an entry level Vortex to be honest.

The circles on the Nikon BDC are ok for getting to the kill zone, for larger animals, but for small vermin like ground squirrels at a greater distance I found it annoying and the BDC didn't really compliment my reloads or factory ammo my rifle liked, even though the velocities were inline with the BDC reticle literature.

Now the Nikon 223 3-9 sits on my designated hog and coyote 'truck' gun. I don't need precision with those vermin, just need to be accurate enough.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Those are excellent scopes for 5.56/.223 Remington firearms. I only wish they still sold it with the single piece scope base, with the two upper ring portions. That was a more rigid scope mount, and more consistent over time.

Probably doesn't matter for most, but some friends of mine that were used to bolt action rifles, felt they were not accurate enough. For a semi-auto rifle it works well. The apps make it so easy to take shots at several hundred yards.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are tactical adjustment knobs so you can make quick changes in the field. Not really necessary for a non-combat role. But I was thinking about this same scope.
Kentucky windage.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
Have several I picked up off of ebay on the cheap. For what they are I think they are a great value in a scope made in the Philippines.

I like the clarity for such a cheap scope, no noticeable fish eye around the edge of the view and reasonable eye relief throughout the magnifacation. Not a big fan of the BDC circles...... don't hate them just don't really like them. With the exposed turrets changing elevation is easy and they are zeroed so coming back is a non issue. I have only done this a handful of times but they seem to still shoot where I aim....... Please Please Please shoot the BDC at distance to see where your ammo/gun combo works. Anyone can slap one of these on anything from a 7" to a 24" barrel and can only assume that they gonna hit in different spots!

Its not a leupold. With that being said I got my first leupold in the last 12 months and I must say I see what everybody has been talking about!

In the same breath I really don't feel like putting expensive glass on a cheap rifle that's going to be banging around under the back seat. My rifle was never intended to make one hole groups at 100 yds and the nikkon works great.

would I buy again.............. for the right price definitely
would I suggest to a friend.. yes

·
Registered
888 Posts
Had that scope. Was making my way through thick brush and heard click,click,click....... Something snagged the turret and spun it. I got rid of the scope shortly there after. Leupold VX-1 is in a similar price range. Better optics. You can get a long range duplex reticle that has to dots for hold over. Not as fancy as Nikon, but works. I like the 2x7x33 VX-1 for my hunting rifles.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,826 Posts
i put one on my mossberg mvp in 223... only taken it out to 100 though, have yet to stretch it out to 300, but i expect its pretty close if your using m193 as the BDC is graduated for 55 grain vmax loads. i like the vertical adjustment knob as it has reference points for several distances.

·
What would Mal do
5,070 Posts
yep..nothing shabby about the 'P' series..good value scope.

I chose the 1.5-4x for my mini 14 ranch rifle.. I have no intention of using that rifle out much past 100yds and wanted a scope that allowed for quick eyes open tracking for coyote dispatch..so the 9x wasn't part of my consideration.

at the time I also didn't consider my mini accurate enough to worry about it...then i added the accu-strut to the mini and i'm still grinnin from ear to ear.

the rifle is now plenty accurate and the scope is an appropriate match for it enabling me to track quick moves at 1.5x and to get pretty much on the dot i'm aiming for at 100yds.

I thought highly enough of the P series to chose the P308 for my budget AR10 rifle that one does go out to 12x and the scope has been plenty good enough for these old eyes.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,067 Posts
I love mine. Very clear. I compared it side by side with the similar grade Vortex and it was a lot clearer and I enjoyed the focus range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a P-223 3 x 9 and a P308 3x12. Both have performed very well for me. I also have several Pro Staff scopes on other rifles and for the money they are hard to beat. I think they are excellent value. However, I have heard that Nikon customer service is not very good but I have not needed them yet on the 5 Nikons that I own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts