Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people that do NOT have Night Vision equipment and when I run into these people they always ask, “Why would you spend money of stuff like that?”

Over the years I have offered many different reasons why and they still don’t get it. So I go with the old tried ad try, Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. That they seem to understand…

I was wondering if you have any and what you tell people when they ask why you have it…

I have 4 units, all Night Owl, the new iGen, (which is a Gen III type) the new marine pro, the older marine pro and the new Star Gazer.

Now if you are preparing for anything that you may need to run, hide, fight defend, you need to get Night Vision to maybe give you an edge when needed…

Reactions: BretByron

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
If you've got a group of people living together on a farm it helps the night patrol guy look around without shining a light everywhere.

You also need it if you do any boating up and down the coast or rivers. Don't want to shine a light there either.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I have a low-end,generation-one ATM monocular that I got tossed in on some trade involving guitars with my brother, I seriously don't recall any more than that.
That answers the OP 3 main questions.:D:
Even though mine is a humble generation-one unit, and much of what I read says, "don't waste your money", this advice is elitist crapola. A GEN 1 nightvision unit, while lacking clarity, is about a thousand times better than no NV at all. These can be found all over for $100+, and I think we all should have one.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Upgraded to 3rd gen sets this year. Was part of my "got out of debt" gift to myself. :D: I have owned 1st and 2nd gen sets including 7B's, PVS5's, PVS4, PVS 2 and Patriot Pocketscope- ALL U.S. mil spec stuff. Never waste your money on Russian junk.

Even on a moonless night with overcast skies, you pretty CAN'T HIDE from a good 3rd gen set. One of our 14's is that new "Pinnacle" autogated technology, 72 line pair, very sweet.

That being said, I would NOT advise anyone to make a serious investment in NVG's before they first get their food supply squared away. NVG's are fun and might potentially save your family's life one day, but you still gotta eat!

Lowdown3

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Still hanging on to my Night Owl marine Pro. I got it at a absolute steal of a price from a co-worker. As for what I use it for, its mostly a hobby. After dark nature walks and owl watching. Nobody has asked me about nightvison before and I don't bring it up so thats not an issue for me. Most of my hobbies would raise a few eyebrows anyway so I don't give a hoot what others think.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Keep a gen 1 monocular just to keep from using a flashlight as it requires no batteries at all and a group of people using the methods of the blind with a hand on the shoulder of those in front can follow one person if needed.

We however will count on the defensive use of flares, both ground fired at the target and ground fired between the target and the targeted, and also parachute flares to foil nightvision used by others.

Flares mixed with smoke rounds, and night vision is toast. At least long enough to move and gain cover each time.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree 100% with getting the food first. Just at some point it is worth having one, like said above, having even a gen 1 is better then none at all... That is so true.

Because if and when you need it, you will be glad you have it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts