Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of discussion on the various generations of night vision technology, but not so much regarding whether it is best to get NV mounted on rifle or use a head-mounted set.

They are very expensive, so I want to be sure that I get it right the first time.

Does a rifle-mounted NV get placed in front of your scope, or does it replace your scope?

If you get NV on a headset, can you use it to look through a regular rifle-mounted scope? I really like the scope that I have, so it would be a shame to have to choose one or the other. I want a solution that will work in the day as well as at night.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most weapon mounted Nv are going to require some kinda of NV compatible optic in front of it to give you an aiming reticle..
As for head mounted, you will need some kinda of IR laser to be able to aim at anything as there is no cheek weld possible with some big honkin device hanging off your face so that just means more $$$
Something like the PVS-14 is the way to go if you want the most flexibility IMO, you can mount it on a weapon or get a head mount for it, best of both worlds..:thumb:

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
weapons mount, the headsets give me massive headaches.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
I'll take weapons mount any day of the week.... if something hapens I do not like night blindness when i need it most...

besides unless i am feeling like being in an up close and personal mood... I would rather pick em off with a suppressed weapon from a long distance...

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion on the various generations of night vision technology, but not so much regarding whether it is best to get NV mounted on rifle or use a head-mounted set.

They are very expensive, so I want to be sure that I get it right the first time.

Does a rifle-mounted NV get placed in front of your scope, or does it replace your scope?

If you get NV on a headset, can you use it to look through a regular rifle-mounted scope? I really like the scope that I have, so it would be a shame to have to choose one or the other. I want a solution that will work in the day as well as at night.

Thanks
I think you have to consider how you are going to use it. Are you going to only use it in a combat/hunting situation? Because these are instances when you will have your rifle. But what about situations that you will not be needing your rifle. Looking around at night, watching at night etc etc. Then consider that you can not use a rifle mounted system with your handgun,

Dunno. I say think about how you are most likely to use it and start there.

Is there a system that can do both?

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I have a dedicated AR15 night rifle with 2.5 power Yukon generation 1 night vision scope. With a very little moon light you can see very well and in total darkness the Infrared illuminator makes it almost as bright as day. The red cross hairs are tunable from off to barely visible to bright red. It is very handy for spotting from a fixed position. Walking, not so much. I am buying some binocular NV soon to augment my scope NV. A hand held IR illuminator would also be very handy.

Good hunting.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I agree with P, you really need both. It's hard to scout with a rifle mounted scope, and it's hard to hunt or engage a target with binos.

Also, having both gives you the ability to have two people looking.

Az

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
When I was in we used the Pvs 14 head mount with a paq 4 on our rifles, to counter losing your night sight I used my Pvs 14 on my non dominate eye. That way I still had my night vision and depth perception.

·
Alea iacta est, III
587 Posts
Weapon mount. If I needed to see into a dark area, I could illuminate it with the PEQ15 and scan. My weapon was already in the area I was looking. When we patrolled through palm groves, the rino mount snags on stuff all the time. Besides, having a PVS14 hanging off the front of your head really wears on your neck muscles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts