Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a 1911 with a fiber optic sight. they work really well in daylight, quite bright.

at night and low light, the fiber optic sight is less than desirable, i cannot see where the gun is pointing.

so anyway, i replaced them with trijicon night sights. love them. oh yeah, the vise makes the installation easier.

anyway, i was thinking, when things go bad, i would want night sights on all my guns.

what's your take on your sights?

thanks.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Realistically, you shouldn't be shooting at something you can't see and identify. My house is set up with remote control lamps in every room and outside. Critical ones are battery powered and solar charged. I carry a tac light on me everywhere, and I have a spare on my bedside table. (Although I prefer using my remote lamps as they do not give away my location) I will be lighting up the target area before shooting if possible.

I do have a couple of red dot sights for a rifle and a carbine. I also have a .45 with a red dot sight as well. In low light or nighttime situations, these things are a huge benefit. Much more so than night sights. But anything is better than nothing.

Az

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
i purchased a 1911 with a fiber optic sight. they work really well in daylight, quite bright.

at night and low light, the fiber optic sight is less than desirable, i cannot see where the gun is pointing.

so anyway, i replaced them with trijicon night sights. love them. oh yeah, the vise makes the installation easier.

anyway, i was thinking, when things go bad, i would want night sights on all my guns.

what's your take on your sights?

thanks.
I build 1911's and have been putting just a front trijicon night sight on them with standard rear sight. All I need is that front sight in low light cause I am not going to be doing any long distance shooting with a pistol at night.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13171/Product/FRONT-SIGHTS

Reactions: janit0r

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now you got me thinking. i should have a flashlight as an edc. hmmm

Realistically, you shouldn't be shooting at something you can't see and identify. My house is set up with remote control lamps in every room and outside. Critical ones are battery powered and solar charged. I carry a tac light on me everywhere, and I have a spare on my bedside table. (Although I prefer using my remote lamps as they do not give away my location) I will be lighting up the target area before shooting if possible.

I do have a couple of red dot sights for a rifle and a carbine. I also have a .45 with a red dot sight as well. In low light or nighttime situations, these things are a huge benefit. Much more so than night sights. But anything is better than nothing.

Az

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I dont have an issue wih sites in day light so i am ok with just trit. but someone that has difficulty finding them might like the TFO's. I persionally find myself hardly using the sights at "pistol combat" ranges anyway so unless i have to take an accurate shot, I fine a naturally pointing pistol to be much more important.

XS big dots are my fav.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I have the Sig lites on my pistol, line up the glowing dots and it's all good.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
now you got me thinking. i should have a flashlight as an edc. hmmm
not to derail but Yes you should. Check our Quark and Fenix...great value lights. My fav EDC light is the Quark Mini AA. My EDC will be the Mini AA and the fenix LD20 in my bag.

I went with the Fenix because of the their filter accessories but its too thick for an EDC for me so i went with the Quark for that...love them both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts