Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have some limited electricity and as a morale and entertainment factor planned into my plans an ocassional movie viewing. One set up is a small ac/dc 9 inch tv and a ac/dc VHS player. The other is a personal DVD player that is AC/DC/Battery powered. The DVD player can also be hooked up to the tv. My Library of tapes and DVD's is a growing collection of DVD's and VHS tapes I get at my local library. They have donation table and I get the VHS's and DVD's for a buck and some for $.50. Just got three Indiana Jones VHS's for $.50 each. I just keep my eye out and snag a couple a month that interest me of may interest someone else.
I figure that charging up a car battery all week with a solar panel and having a couple of hours at the movies is a good investment in the long run since the cable guy will not be coming around much in a post event.
A couple of bags of popcorn (can be part of the emergency corn for corn meal stock) is not going to impact the survival food budget and the trading of DVD's and VHS tapes is a possable trade item.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
the scene I picture is rather like the weekend movies the army bases in the field would show in Vietnam. :D: sounds like a decent morale booster

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
It's not a bad plan at all since morale will be a big factor in a post SHTF situation. My only concern is noise depending on the situation. So I'd say this is a situation permitting luxury, but still a good idea. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You'll go crazy if you don't relax. Stock up on as much as you can. I have a great portable DVD player with me in the truck and it plays a few movies on one charge. With the economy being what it is and freight being so damn slow I will need it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Tapes can go really bad really quickly. Also store some cotton buds and metholated spirits to clean the heads on the tape player as that will prolong both tape and player life.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
My laptop and an Archos 605 are part of my preparedness planning. These two items will keep all of us entertained for as long as we can keep power to it.

One of the things we still need is a solar panel and/or a small wind generator to keep the batteries charged.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
You could use a 12 volt solar charger for a deer feeder to charge a car battery, then use an inverter to convert 12 volt to 120 volt.

If you have a small battery powered TV, this set up could be used in conjunction with a C or D sized battery charger.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pair of headsets and a Y yoke. My portable DVD player has two headset outlets. The dog can provide sound security. If worst to worst I have a black and white tv that runs off c cells.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Initially I bought an ac/dc VHS tape player/recorder to go with my 17" ac/dc TV. However, I have only used the Tape about twice, so I sold it. It turns out much easier to just play DVDs on my laptop, even with a few people watching.. The TV has a couple of different video and audio inputs (S-Video, PC video...) so if you want to watch a movie on a bigger screen, just connect the laptop video o/p to the telly.

One hint: when I bought the TV, I made sure to get one with a separate 12VDC power supply that plugs into the mains. That way it effectively becomes ac/dc, because it's power is 12VDC. I can therefore connect it direct to my solar charged house batteries. HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts