Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let anyone who is interested in a good product to give
NIDO dry whole milk a try. DH is very picky about his milk and will not drink dry non fat milk. NIDO can be found at Walmart super centers in the Hispanic food section.

Be careful there are two different kinds on the shelf. NIDO Kinder is non fat dry milk with a bunch of additive, more like formula and cost between $15.00 & $16.00.

NIDO dry whole milk comes in two different sizes 900 gr that should run between $7.00 & $8.00. It also comes in a smaller 360 gr can that is between $4.00 & $5.00. It is vacumn packed in a real metal can with a shelf life of about 18 months.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Below are some links with information on this product.

http://www.nestleghana.com/html/brands/nido/about.html
http://asianmerchant.stores.yahoo.net/nidomilk.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9004052AAUHDkO
http://www.nestleghana.com/html/brands/Nido/index.html

Shelf Life

http://www.nestlenido.com/AllAboutNido/ProductFAQs.aspx

"
What is the shelf life for NIDO® Clasica?

24 months. This product should be consumed before the "use by" date.
What is the shelf life for NIDO® Kinder 1+?

12 months. This product should be consumed before the "use by" date. "

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found some large 3.52 pound cans at a super wal-mart. They were in the bulk foods section. Each can cost a little over $13.00 and will make about 13 quarts. That works out to about a dollar a quart or four bucks per gallon. I bought six cans and then went back to get 6 more. If milk prices keep going up, I figure it will be cheaper to go with the Nido.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks, Im going to look for this next time I go shopping.

I almost bought some of the carnation dry non-fat milk the other day. It didnt seem very well packaged so I didnt buy it. I thought it was overpriced too.

I can still get whole milk for $3.18 a gallon at my wal-mart.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I found some large 3.52 pound cans at a super wal-mart. They were in the bulk foods section. Each can cost a little over $13.00 and will make about 13 quarts. That works out to about a dollar a quart or four bucks per gallon. I bought six cans and then went back to get 6 more. If milk prices keep going up, I figure it will be cheaper to go with the Nido.
Thanks for price info. $4.00 per gallon price favors regular milk with a reserve of crummy tasting Carnation dried milk. Yech. If you mis the Carnation with regular milk its ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts

CountryKate: What city did you find that in? I'd like to stock up on a few cans that size! I live in West Texas, but travel all over. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in Oregon. I've found the large Nido cans at Hermiston and Ontario, which is right next to the Oregon/Idaho border. Both cities have a population of 10,000 or so and both have a large Hispanic population (for Oregon anyway). I did notice that in Hermiston the cans were a little over $13.00, while in Ontario, they were over $16.00. :eek: I just got the cans from Ontario yesterday and the Hermiston price was from June. I don't know if the price difference was due to location or if the price has gone up that much!

·
Registered
52 Posts
NIDO dry whole milk comes in two different sizes 900 gr that should run between $7.00 & $8.00. It also comes in a smaller 360 gr can that is between $4.00 & $5.00. It is vacumn packed in a real metal can with a shelf life of about 18 months.
the 900 gr cans are no longer made by Nestle as of fall 2007 per Nestle.

Good product that we use.

·
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
2,529 Posts
I thought for a long time that Nido was some kine of secret... but in the last year Ive seen more and more threads on various forums about Nido.

ive been using it for quite a while. It doesnt taste exactly like moo cow milk, but damn if it isnt as close as you can get!

I have both mixed it to drink straight out of the glass and used it in cooking and baking... It is a superb powdered milk!!!

EB

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Nido is excellent for baking as well as mixing into liquid milk. I "discovered" Nido when I was living in Florida and trying to find milk after one of the hurricanes. I saw some older Hispanic ladies getting very excited when this product was being loaded onto the shelves, and they were happy to explain to me how to use it.

My husband says it tastes "too rich" -- to me, that is like saying it is too delicious, lol.

·
Plays best, alone
5,083 Posts
Is there anything that is not as disgusting as Carnation, or are they all the same? I can pretty much quarantee I will not be having a reconstituted glass of cold milk after TEOTWAWKI unless there is an alternative.:xeye:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.