Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy goes to a lot of gun shows. He went to one last weekend and brought me two TA-312A/PT field phones. He got them for $5.00 apiece. He said “I thought you might like these” He knows me well. :D: They can communicate over 22 miles with field wire and 520 miles with #12 copper wire. :eek: They use D batteries as one of three power options. I figure they would be good for communications if phones go down when TSHTF. Well worth $10.00 IMHO. Now if I can just find 520 miles of copper wire and keep the looters from stealing it I’ll be set.:thumb:

Here is a link I found on the web that details them.

http://www.associated-ind.com/pdf/TA312.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the shtf and you need some copper, go to a cell phone site. The cables that feed the antenna are copper, they cut easily with a razor, and most have 80-150' runs. There will be some climbing involved, but the are only attached at the top and bottom and once cut, would give you enough the have comms with a neighbor house or a sentry post.

Nice find!

·
Registered
118 Posts
does it have to be copper wire? what about the wire used for cable tv?
i saw a few of those at a local surplus store, but they wanted 20 a piece. if i can talk him down i might get them, i have about 500 foot of cat 5 cable sitting of my basement that i could experiment with.

·
Banned
653 Posts
If the shtf and you need some copper, go to a cell phone site. The cables that feed the antenna are copper, they cut easily with a razor, and most have 80-150' runs. There will be some climbing involved, but the are only attached at the top and bottom and once cut, would give you enough the have comms with a neighbor house or a sentry post.

Nice find!

WHAT? 1 5/8 Andrews Heliax cable DOES NOT easily cut with a razor. More like a hacksaw....
This is one of the most common cables used at cell sites...
Andrews / Commscope comms line

You need a large pipe cutter or hacksaw to get through it.

Want wire for those, check the surplus stores for 5000 ft spools of military phone wire.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
They have other uses too but we will not talk about that....
It's OK...you can say nipple/nut/butt charger. :taped: (among other things electricity is good for)
Just so long as you aren't asking me the questions attached to the wires. :D:

Look at the stone tools in those cases behind the cool phonage. Cooooooool!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
was a signaller in the army, had experience with those..

good find, they are almost not possible to break..
You don't happen to have a spare manual lying around do you? I would like to know how to hook them up and test them but I don't want to do it wrong a mess something up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts