Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on rareseeds.com today and saw they have small and large "homesteader" kits for both northern and southern climates. The large kit even comes in a bucket! :D: I bought a few seed packs from them this year and had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with. I'm going to give one a try this summer.

Here is their description -
We offer 2 packages containing some of our best seeds, and offer each package in both Northern or Southern options. The perfect way to save money and acquire a safe, secure food supply. Most of the seeds in these packages will store 4-10+ years, if kept cool and dry. This is a great way to try many of our best varieties. We offer 2 sizes, for medium to large gardens and farms. These packages are also great for people getting started in market gardening. We have had our packages copied, but never surpassed in quality or price. Included are most of the following types of seeds: corn, beans, peas, cowpeas, carrots, beets, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, melons, watermelons, cucumbers, lettuce, greens, okra, winter squash, summer squash, radishes, turnips, huckleberries, sunflowers, leeks, amaranth, broccoli, ground cherries & kohlrabi, etc. Selections based on availability.

And the link -
http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Seed-Collections/

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
id like to know how many pounds of seed your getting. so far i have been able to make my own package up with more seed and cheaper than any packet ive seen so far.

im VERY leery of any seed company that doesnt tell you the amount your getting. is the bucket the size of a large 1 gal ice cream pale or is it a 5 gal bucket? for $375 it better be 2, 5 gal buckets. by them not telling you exactly what your getting, leaves plenty of room for them to cheat you. i think i would look around before buying

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id like to know how many pounds of seed your getting. so far i have been able to make my own package up with more seed and cheaper than any packet ive seen so far.

im VERY leary of any seed company that doesnt tell you the amount your getting. is the bucket the size of a large 1 gal ice cream pale or is it a 5 gal bucket? for $375 it better be 2, 5 gal buckets. by them not telling you exactly what your getting, leaves plenty of room for them to cheat you. i think i would look around before buying
Generally I would just let this slide, but this forum is full of outspoken people who would rather dismiss something new than educate themselves. I'm getting tired of it, so let me do it for you.

First, let me congratulate you on being able to make your own seed packages. It's great that you already have a garden and the time to harvest, dry, test and store your own seeds. I'm curious if you planted the garden yourself, or was it there when you bought the property, or perhaps it just materialized out of thin air? It has to start somewhere, and for most folks, buying seeds from a store is going to be that start.

Now, if you had bothered to look at the link and explore the website you would have found the answers to you questions. The large package includes "over 30 types of vegetables and over 275 varieties", "all in 300 full-sized packets", in a bucket. How many seeds are in a full size pack you ask? Well, lets take a look and explore corn, for example. Click Shop Online Now and Corn, and what do you know? The very first sentence is "125 seeds per packet". Call me crazy, but that seems like a decent amount of corn seeds per packet. Should you be motivated to explore other types of vegetables, you'll find that all descriptions tell you how many seeds per packet. I realized you asked for weight, but that seems like a ridiculous measure for a variety of items. And two 5 gallon buckets? Maybe you need to see how many of your seed packets will fit into a single 5 gallon bucket. I think maybe you just spoke without thinking.

I'll do a little math for you. 300 Seed packets for $378 dollars ($375 + $3 shipping) works out to $1.26 per pack. Even if you only use half the packets (for whatever reason), $2.52 seems like a very reasonable price for heirloom seeds.

Now, I realize you aren't told exactly which you'll receive, and that might be a cause for concern to AR type folks. If that's the case, then say so. Don't poo-poo it as a rip-off, especially when you weren't willing to look things over and post an informed response.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Generally I would just let this slide, but this forum is full of outspoken people who would rather dismiss something new than educate themselves. I'm getting tired of it, so let me do it for you.

First, let me congratulate you on being able to make your own seed packages. It's great that you already have a garden and the time to harvest, dry, test and store your own seeds. I'm curious if you planted the garden yourself, or was it there when you bought the property, or perhaps it just materialized out of thin air? It has to start somewhere, and for most folks, buying seeds from a store is going to be that start.

Now, if you had bothered to look at the link and explore the website you would have found the answers to you questions. The large package includes "over 30 types of vegetables and over 275 varieties", "all in 300 full-sized packets", in a bucket. How many seeds are in a full size pack you ask? Well, lets take a look and explore corn, for example. Click Shop Online Now and Corn, and what do you know? The very first sentence is "125 seeds per packet". Call me crazy, but that seems like a decent amount of corn seeds per packet. Should you be motivated to explore other types of vegetables, you'll find that all descriptions tell you how many seeds per packet. I realized you asked for weight, but that seems like a ridiculous measure for a variety of items. And two 5 gallon buckets? Maybe you need to see how many of your seed packets will fit into a single 5 gallon bucket. I think maybe you just spoke without thinking.

I'll do a little math for you. 300 Seed packets for $378 dollars ($375 + $3 shipping) works out to $1.26 per pack. Even if you only use half the packets (for whatever reason), $2.52 seems like a very reasonable price for heirloom seeds.

Now, I realize you aren't told exactly which you'll receive, and that might be a cause for concern to AR type folks. If that's the case, then say so. Don't poo-poo it as a rip-off, especially when you weren't willing to look things over and post an informed response.

well since you used corn as an example we will compare

http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/CatalogGrp.asp?prm=1

they dont state the number of corn seed you get like they do in most of their other seeds but look at the golden batan yellow sweat corn 1/4 lb for $1.75 i dont think 125 seeds of corn would come close to that and your company is chargeing $3.00 per packet .

since you invited to look at other veggies lets take a look at 1 more example of heirloom seeds

by your company summer squash 20 seed per packet of golden crooked neck squash your cost a whopping $1.75 for 20 seeds or you can pay $7.50 for 1oz of seed.

ok what i can get for summer golden crooked neck squash is 50 seeds for $.95 or for $1.75 i can get 1oz which is 250 seed per oz. which if i spent $375 on it at $12.50lb,that comes to 30lb of seed thats 3,600,000 seeds. oh! no! im going to need another bucket :eek:

like i said i would look around there are better deals and you dont get stuck with seed varieties you really dont want or will use
ill just go to the donut shop and get a bucket :thumb:

one way they can cheat you . lets say they are running low on seeds,they give you 29 packets of a variety of veggies and 271 packets of feed corn. if they dont tell you the exact amount of what your getting you could be getting everything they couldnt sell last year

·
Registered
169 Posts
We recently ordered the Northern small collection of seeds and it came in the mail just yesterday. We are VERY pleased with the selection. We expected that we'd get the cheaper varieties only but many of the more expensive of the seeds were included.
I don't know if its more inexpensive to buy in bulk but it was convenient for us to do it this way. The amount of seeds listed on the site per packet is what you get. Its not like they say you get 100 seeds but if you order from this 'collection' you get 30.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
In *theory* the insta-bucket-o-seeds sounds great, but I bet Cryptkeeper is right about the cost savings.

I've gardened for years and have discovered that there are things we just let go to waste when we grow them so an insta-garden is not for me.

However, for a beginner it would offer some sense of security because someone in the know (you hope) is picking your varieties etc.

One more tidbit of wisdom from me...and then I'll shut up...

I work in the movies industry and the studios are famous for offering you a package *deal* that involves a couple really premium titles, but ya gotta buy the other crap they are offering too in order to get the price. It's how they get rid of their junk titles...

Just a thought ;)

Good luck.

PS check out Territorial Seed Co - I love them !

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
In *theory* the insta-bucket-o-seeds sounds great, but I bet Cryptkeeper is right about the cost savings.

I've gardened for years and have discovered that there are things we just let go to waste when we grow them so an insta-garden is not for me.

However, for a beginner it would offer some sense of security because someone in the know (you hope) is picking your varieties etc.

One more tidbit of wisdom from me...and then I'll shut up...

I work in the movies industry and the studios are famous for offering you a package *deal* that involves a couple really premium titles, but ya gotta buy the other crap they are offering too in order to get the price. It's how they get rid of their junk titles...

Just a thought ;)

Good luck.

PS check out Territorial Seed Co - I love them !
lol kinda sounds like what our banking system just did recently lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
well since you used corn as an example we will compare...
In defense of Baker Creek, I have bought from them in the past and they have only been a pleasure to deal with. They answered correspondence promptly, shipped right away and sold good quality seed that matched the description and had a high germination rate. I haven't ordered their Homestead kits because I prefer to know what I am getting beforehand, but they are a small company with a good reputation who rely on word of mouth and repeat business to survive in a competitive market. I think if they filled their packs with dud seed or hundreds of varieties of the same vegetable they would just be shooting themselves in the foot. Word would get around pretty quickly, you know? The only negative thing I can say about them is that they don't update their site as soon as items go out of stock, and they refund money by stapling bank notes to the invoice. Not exactly the best option for someone in Sweden. ;)

If you have a look at their forum or their reviews on Dave's Garden you will see plenty of satisfied customers. Many of those people also post to other places I know of so they aren't just Jere Gettle's sock puppets. :)

You are right that you could buy seed more cost effectively in bulk, but I suspect that people who want bulk seed and people who want to buy little 'tasters' of everything are different markets. I don't think there is anything wrong with either approach.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
thats good to hear, that they are a good company even if they are a bit over priced. nowdays you just never know, and i dont trust many business on the web specially ones that do not tell you exactly what your getting. but at the same time most ppl who buy those bucket-of-seeds usually dont have alot of exp. in gardening, which if they dont know what they are getting, how can they know if they are getting a true value and can be easly deceived. when they offer stuff like that without details red flags go off, you just cant trust ppl now days.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Agreed. Always do your research. :)

One of the reasons I like BC so much is that their international postage is dead cheap. They made a huge loss on postage and packaging when they posted to me. I automatically trust them just because of that. :)

Territorial, which someone else mentioned, have a great range and also a good rep, but their postage is nearly as much as the seed itself, so I just can't justify ordering from them. I wish I could because they have some varieties I totally covet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
G,

You are right about Territorial's postage being high.
Lucky for me a lot of local garden centers stock them because they are a local company.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
If you are unaware, Baker Creek specializes in uncommon heirloom seeds. They stock many 'common' varieties but have a large percentage of varieties which you will not find many other places. Normal seed packets will run from $1.75-2.50 depending on type if ordered singly. This is not uncommon pricing for heirloom seeds now from just about every provider. The homestead packs are great for a single order. If you have a prerequsite for specific seed, then don't order it. I purchased the Southern collection earlier this year knowing that it was a hand picked selection of "what was available at the time" and not a predesignated selection. That didn't bother me because out of the hundred packs of seed I have, I will only be growing 12-15 of them at any given time.

If you are up for a surprise, order it. If you like heirloom seeds, order it. If you want specific seed, order single item packs.

Lastly, Jere Gettel and Baker Creek are "small" but well established and known in the industry. There are several print articles available about them, usually associated thanks to their Pioneer Town. If you aren't comfortable ordering from them, order elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
specializeing in specialty seeds, you can just about say that about all heirloom seed providers each one will have the common and the uncommon that just they sell.i cant afford to throw my money around like that , i have to be as cost effective as i can be ,and go with the most bang for the buck. i dont need any exotic vegetables, i just need plenty of the basics to eat. i can see paying for exotic seeds if your into gardening more as a hobby than to live off of.for me its not a hobby, its life.so getting x2 or x3 as many seed for the same cost and quality and still being heirloom.but after you get started you dont need to buy any cause you can make your own :thumb:.when buying seed thats what i do even if it takes me a whole hour or 2 to look them up and decide what to order. i wish i could afford to throw my money around like that, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and i have to choose the best i can to make my cash stretch.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
CryptKeeper, where do you plan on ordering heirloom seeds on the cheap? Single packs are 2-2.50 and the 60 packs which come in the "medium harvest pack" from Baker Creek come out to 1.50 per pack. Now, granted that 69 cents a pack is a good price, but I haven't seen any heirloom seeds anywhere going for that price. Perhaps if you were to find some 2007 or 2006 or even 2005 seed packs discounted below a dollar you could save some money there in large quantities. From my experience, those older seed packs are usually thrown in as freebies with newer purchases just so the vendor can get rid of them.

Do you have a supplier of heirloom seeds that is cheaper than $1.50 per pack? I'd like to peruse their inventory if so.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
CryptKeeper, where do you plan on ordering heirloom seeds on the cheap? Single packs are 2-2.50 and the 60 packs which come in the "medium harvest pack" from Baker Creek come out to 1.50 per pack. Now, granted that 69 cents a pack is a good price, but I haven't seen any heirloom seeds anywhere going for that price. Perhaps if you were to find some 2007 or 2006 or even 2005 seed packs discounted below a dollar you could save some money there in large quantities. From my experience, those older seed packs are usually thrown in as freebies with newer purchases just so the vendor can get rid of them.

Do you have a supplier of heirloom seeds that is cheaper than $1.50 per pack? I'd like to peruse their inventory if so.
i showed it on this tread about 4 post up but here it is again.where you save is buy more than just by the pack i perfer by the 1/4lb but the more you get the more you save.you need to notice the number of seed per packs also. as far as i know they are fresh seeds.

http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/CatalogGrp.asp?prm=1

VS

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/

here is another example:a VERY common green bean, blue lake bush green beans.

i can get blue lake bush green beans 1500 seeds per LB ill get 375 seeds in 1/4lb for $1.75

butler creek price 40-60 seeds in 1 pack $1.75

through butler creek your getting 30 vegtables types in 300 packs in all so if they divide it even your getting 10 pack per veggie
so at that good deal $1.50 per pack x 10= $15.00 for at most 600 seeds

to me its a no brainer, where and how im going to buy. but like was said in earlier posts shipping international may be a differnt ball game their shipping over seas is really good deal at BC pending on how much your buying you will have to do the math on shipping for internaiontal orders to see what the bottom line cost will be.

shipping in the U.S

BC shipping is $3.00 so lets say you buy the jumbo can $375+$3= $378 and by using the greenbeans as a base of how many seed you will get about 15,000 seeds total for $378.00

ok by picking what you get and buying by the 1/4lb at $1.75 getting $300 worth of seed and shipping is 15% =$45 shipping cost and i would get 64,285 seeds for $345. i dont think i need that many seed so ill cut in 1/2 and only buy 32,142 seeds for $172.50, but then again that may be to many seeds so lets 1/2 it again so now im buying 16,071 seeds for $86.25 . and these seed are for veggies i will eat :thumb:

one thing your not add to the $1.50 per pack is how many packs will you not use cause you dont like those veggies so those seeds go to waste. by picking what you buy, you will use 100% of the veggies you buy (you may not use all the seeds and can store the rest for long term storage BC say their seed will store 10 yrs, why cant we?they dont have magic seeds) :thumb:

·
Registered
288 Posts

im VERY leery of any seed company that doesnt tell you the amount your getting. is the bucket the size of a large 1 gal ice cream pale or is it a 5 gal bucket? for $375 it better be 2, 5 gal buckets. by them not telling you exactly what your getting, leaves plenty of room for them to cheat you. i think i would look around before buying
the issue is that if you buy these open-polinated rare heirloom seeds that are hundreds of years old, they are less likely to cross-polinate with the modern gmo terminator-gene seeds in your neighbor's garden, because they are less alike the modern veggies. for example, the original carrots and tomatoes were dark in color. all you really need is enough seeds to plant your garden twice over, as insurance, incase of a crop failure or frost. you can then use the seeds harvested for next year's crop. peas, beans, melons, everything.. quanity doesn't really matter, beyond 2 sets of seeds for your plot. what matters much more is the quality, productivity, and reliability of the seeds. you really aren't paying per seed, you are paying for the ability to grow these valuable seeds. once shtf, these heirloom seeds will be priceless, because everyone else will have the store-bought seeds, which will rarely give you more than 2 generations of fertility. just pay the nice man what he charges.. get the seeds before it's too late. your garden, unlike everyone elses will keep feeding you indefinitely.

·
Registered
413 Posts
the issue is that if you buy these open-polinated rare heirloom seeds that are hundreds of years old, they are less likely to cross-polinate with the modern gmo terminator-gene seeds in your neighbor's garden, because they are less alike the modern veggies.
Do you have any proof that heirloom vegetables will not cross pollinate with modern varieties of the same species?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
the issue is that if you buy these open-polinated rare heirloom seeds that are hundreds of years old, they are less likely to cross-polinate with the modern gmo terminator-gene seeds in your neighbor's garden, because they are less alike the modern veggies. for example, the original carrots and tomatoes were dark in color. all you really need is enough seeds to plant your garden twice over, as insurance, incase of a crop failure or frost. you can then use the seeds harvested for next year's crop. peas, beans, melons, everything.. quanity doesn't really matter, beyond 2 sets of seeds for your plot. what matters much more is the quality, productivity, and reliability of the seeds. you really aren't paying per seed, you are paying for the ability to grow these valuable seeds. once shtf, these heirloom seeds will be priceless, because everyone else will have the store-bought seeds, which will rarely give you more than 2 generations of fertility. just pay the nice man what he charges.. get the seeds before it's too late. your garden, unlike everyone elses will keep feeding you indefinitely.
did you even read the link i posted?? what i was comparing was the prices to another companies heirloom seed. they are the same thing just one company is over priced. i dont think you even read my other posts by the way your is talking.either that or your not comprehending it. if you do reread all of my posts again, you will see im not comparing it to walmart seeds. im pointing out how over priced that company is and you can get the SAME heirloom seed from a cheaper place. (i dont think i can make it any more clearer than that)

and if you cant store seed why have they spent millions on facilities devoted to nothing but a seed bank in long term cold storage at 0 degrees.i dont think they would be doing that if they couldnt germinate the seed at a later date.i would think in a freezer you could store them for 5-10+ years no problem and have WELL over 75% germination. i would vacuum seal them, but it is best to rotate like everything else.as long as they arnt contaminated.also that high priced company states you can store their bucket-of-seed in a dry COOL place for 10 years.:eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

and yes they will cross pollinate some of the GMO's are designed to contaminate all the other crops.that is partly why farmers are haveing problems with GMO's you might want to watch this

http://video.google.com/videosearch...o+monsanto&emb=0&aq=0&oq=the+world+according#

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
ok, lots of new issues brought up here. Not really germane to this thread, so I won't bother threadjacking it like has already happened. Instead, I will go back to the original subject.

Buy the seeds you want to. CryptKeeper seems to think everybody buys seeds by mass quantities. My observations of people here for the past year and a half does not jive with that. Said observations are of gardeners, not farmers. As such, gardeners buy smaller quantities, such as the 20-25 seed packs. If you have the land to plant seed by the quarter pound, I salute you! Invite me over for a harvest party. :)

Yeah, if you are buying seed by the quarter pound, obviously a bulk price is cheaper per seed than a *standard* seed packet of 20-25 seeds. Your arguments only seem valid for bulk buying. Maybe this is just a perceptual difference of individual buying habits.

At any rate, the new growing season is rapidly approaching so I suggest you guys get any orders placed with your choice of vendor for any seed you wish to grow this year.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
ok, lots of new issues brought up here. Not really germane to this thread, so I won't bother threadjacking it like has already happened. Instead, I will go back to the original subject.

Buy the seeds you want to. CryptKeeper seems to think everybody buys seeds by mass quantities. My observations of people here for the past year and a half does not jive with that. Said observations are of gardeners, not farmers. As such, gardeners buy smaller quantities, such as the 20-25 seed packs. If you have the land to plant seed by the quarter pound, I salute you! Invite me over for a harvest party. :)

Yeah, if you are buying seed by the quarter pound, obviously a bulk price is cheaper per seed than a *standard* seed packet of 20-25 seeds. Your arguments only seem valid for bulk buying. Maybe this is just a perceptual difference of individual buying habits.

At any rate, the new growing season is rapidly approaching so I suggest you guys get any orders placed with your choice of vendor for any seed you wish to grow this year.

that is true :thumb: the reason for 1/4 lb buys is to use some and to store some away in a freezer. because they are systematically shutting alot of heirloom seed companies down by buying them out and other means.and the things mansantos is doing, before to long almost all will be contaminated with GMO.also i dont see if your paying the same price why you would want to buy fewer seeds for the same money if they are the same quality.

in those jumbo packs you are buying in bulk from an over priced bucket-of-seeds.if you plant 300 packets(600-18,000 seeds) of seeds thats a pretty good size garden is it not,and a bigger question how much of that garden will they really eat from? some of the packets will be veggies they dont like.

if you would have looked you would have seen most are cheaper by the packets than the over priced company is.so you dont have to buy in bulk to get it for cheaper. i do admit, i have found a very FEW of BC packets to be cheaper but i did find some,only when comparing packet to packet price,but when you move to 1/4 lb or more, my company blows them away in value :thumb:

now remember the main subject of this tread is ,"the bucket-of-seeds is a good deal", im trying to point out its not and why its not. to me its a no brainer.:rolleyes:

you are right its their money to waste anyway they choose :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts