Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo declared a state of emergency in New York on Saturday. Now it is just a matter of time before people in major cities start panic buying.

New York
Los Angeles
Houston... etc.

Unless Coronavirus dies down fast, we are going to see millions of people panic buying truckloads of food - rice,beans, canned foods... the typical stuff.

We should all know what will happen next. The people who can not afford to buy in bulk will go to the store and the shelves will be empty. I suspect the poor, and those on food stamps will be affected the worse.

If people fight over popeyes chicken, how fast will they turn to violence when the stores are out of basic items?

~~ EDIT ~~ 3/11/2020

Fighting over toiler paper

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,916 Posts
It would not surprise me in the least; some folks mocked this (and some still do it seems) when their time would have been better spent making sure they could manage for a couple months (probably longer)

I "hope" it won't go the way it is looking, but IMO it is more likely than not at this point. Already been stories of a knife being pulled (over TP ???) or some such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure the general public is anywhere close to that level of panic buying yet. Most people seem to believe this is "just the flu." Most Americans don't even have enough emergency savings in their accounts for something like that. We as a society have become totally reliant on someone else fixing our problems in our times of need. However, judging by the current actions of government's worldwide I would hope this awakens our populous.

The problem is, if things go south, they are going to go bad quick and in a hurry. I don't foresee it being a slow change, rather a quick one. Unfortunately, I don't think these state of emergency declarations worry most people. However, the tipping point will probably come when a famous celebrity or high level VP within the US government succumbs to this illness. That is when I would hedge my bet for a higher level of panic.

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure the general public is anywhere close to that level of panic buying yet. Most people seem to believe this is "just the flu." Most Americans don't even have enough emergency savings in their accounts for something like that. We as a society have become totally reliant on someone else fixing our problems in our times of need. However, judging by the current actions of government's worldwide I would hope this awakens our populous.
Welcome to the community and good talking points.

So many people live pay check to pay check that most can not afford an unexpected emergency,

Then there is the issue people reliance on government. A few years ago I was on another forum when the topic of a new plague came up. A lot of the members felt a vaccine would be available in just a few months, so there was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think the question mark is going to be quarantines. And what will they will look like in the US.

Right now we seem to be on the "honor system". If you're sick, or potentially infected, you stay home for 14 days. We all know that system sucks and is not going to work. Eventually they're going to have to step it up a notch when the health care system can't keep up with all the cases.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be quarantining whole cities. The genie will be out of the bottle at that point. But I could see them banning anything that involves crowds or mass gatherings to slow down the spread. Grocery shopping may look very different in a couple of months. Maybe they limit the number of people in the store at one time. I can guarantee they will put strict limits on how much you can buy to prevent runs. I think it could get very ugly.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Sheesh....who comes up with this stuff? New surge of ad revenue slowing down or something?

No...no we won't see any of this over Corona. Even if it's not contained, even if EVERYONE gets it and a few million die in this country, it won't be enough to trigger rioting on its own.

It's not the big one. The IQ of this site seems to dropping everyday.

Keep prepping...Its coming some day...But not this day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It would not surprise me in the least; some folks mocked this (and some still do it seems) when their time would have been better spent making sure they could manage for a couple months (probably longer)

I "hope" it won't go the way it is looking, but IMO it is more likely than not at this point. Already been stories of a knife being pulled (over TP ???) or some such.
I know people that go to the store almost every day and the only thing they put in their buggy is what they are going to fix for supper that night or get a to go meal at a burger joint. Some people are going to be in for a rude awakening I'm afraid.

·
The Legendary
218 Posts
New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo declared a state of emergency in New York on Saturday. Now it is just a matter of time before people in major cities start panic buying.

New York
Los Angeles
Houston... etc.

Unless Coronavirus dies down fast, we are going to see millions of people panic buying truckloads of food - rice,beans, canned foods... the typical stuff.

We should all know what will happen next. The people who can not afford to buy in bulk will go to the store and the shelves will be empty. I suspect the poor, and those on food stamps will be affected the worse.

If people fight over popeyes chicken, how fast will they turn to violence when the stores are out of basic items?
Yes, the next few weeks are going to be interesting.

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sheesh....who comes up with this stuff? New surge of ad revenue slowing down or something?

No...no we won't see any of this over Corona. Even if it's not contained, even if EVERYONE gets it and a few million die in this country, it won't be enough to trigger rioting on its own.
I do not control the ads here.

I think you may be missing the point. It is not the Coronavirus that will cause food shortages, but the effects of people panic buying.

We are already seeing reports of empty shelves of dried foods. When dried foods run out people will start buying canned foods. When canned foods run out....

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Well, SOMEBODY makes money off everyone who comes here and the more panic, the better they do so forgive me if I am always going to wonder "Where is the money at" every-time I see extraordinary claims. No doubt Corona has at least doubled, or more the site traffic here. If not you, somebody is happy about that and wants to keep the train rolling.

I think you may be missing the point. It is not the Coronavirus that will cause food shortages, but the effects of people panic buying.

We are already seeing reports of empty shelves of dried foods. When dried foods run out people will start buying canned foods. When canned foods run out....
No, I get all that. I just don't think the panic is going to get that far. I don't think 99% of people are going to do anything until they see bodies in the street.

And so far, there is no indication that Corona is deadly enough to lead to something like that.

·
I am interrogative, yes.
1,160 Posts
This chills me as I do not live in a nice neighborhood. I doubt the people on my block have more than a few days of food in their homes, at best. Some are older retired people, some are drug dealers, some simply believe that the "government" (read: the rest of us) owe them things.

It's not just panic buying, it's the disruption of production and shipping and the empty docks that will lead to empty shelves. It will not go well here if/when the people in my neighborhood face those empty shelves for long.

·
Registered
637 Posts
One of the reasons I stock up is to avoid long lines and not fighting with another old lady or young mom over a can of soup. I think violence is coming. It might not be in all parts of my town but there some spoiled entitled individuals in my area. Stress and fear climb and a few more shortages and I expect to see some real temper tantrums.

Most are clueless about just in time inventory. And supply chain interruptions does not compute. Add med shortages and it’s going to get dangerous

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,579 Posts
There's a lot of hand wringing. Understandable. Disease is something you can't shoot back at. That's difficult psychologically.

Biologically.... One way or another corona-virus burns through. Survivors develop antibodies. Eventually humanity develops resistance (not immunity). Life goes on.

Socially, economically, politically... That's where it's most unpredictable. Every generation has crisis. Some worse than others. Response varies. Theoretically, this could Thanos snap 5% of our population and if everyone kept truckin' as normal the impact wouldn't be dire. Then there's the path of chaos. Disruption of food production, energy production, commerce, etc... Civility is a thin veneer.

I don't know what's coming down the pike. Keep a cool head. Handle it the best you can.

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, SOMEBODY makes money off everyone who comes here and the more panic, the better they do so forgive me if I am always going to wonder "Where is the money at" every-time I see extraordinary claims. No doubt Corona has at least doubled, or more the site traffic here. If not you, somebody is happy about that and wants to keep the train rolling.
You go to the grocery store and complain to the manager about making money from Coronavirus?

I am trying to be a realist. When you have millions of people panic buying shortages are sure to happen.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,916 Posts
There's a lot of hand wringing. Understandable. Disease is something you can't shoot back at. That's difficult psychologically.

Biologically.... One way or another corona-virus burns through. Survivors develop antibodies. Eventually humanity develops resistance (not immunity). Life goes on.

Socially, economically, politically... That's where it's most unpredictable. Every generation has crisis. Some worse than others. Response varies. Theoretically, this could Thanos snap 5% of our population and if everyone kept truckin' as normal the impact wouldn't be dire. Then there's the path of chaos. Disruption of food production, energy production, commerce, etc... Civility is a thin veneer.

I don't know what's coming down the pike. Keep a cool head. Handle it the best you can.
That is the "thing" for us here, it is what it is and you can't control any of it. If it's looters etc. you can formulate plans, with this, you can be exposed and not have a clue. Add to that it is almost a certainty that there is a great deal we don't know just yet.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,916 Posts

It is starting to already happen in several places that it rarely happens, see the grocery /panic thread for more details of that . Shortages of TP, bottled water canned goods etc. (cliff notes version)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think folks are overestimating the ability of ANY Govt to ensure a peaceful society when store shelves are empty.

It's not just the inner city ghetto rats that will strike out; it's the good natured, hard working, honest neighbor who can't feed his baby. We really don't know what he's capable of, or the lengths he will go to feed his family.

We're several weeks or even months out, but if it stays on the current trajectory it will get ugly soon enough.

Name that movie: "This is the real thing. This is what you've been trained for."

-jack

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I think the question mark is going to be quarantines. And what will they will look like in the US.

Right now we seem to be on the "honor system". If you're sick, or potentially infected, you stay home for 14 days. We all know that system sucks and is not going to work. Eventually they're going to have to step it up a notch when the health care system can't keep up with all the cases.

I'm pretty sure we're not going to be quarantining whole cities. The genie will be out of the bottle at that point. But I could see them banning anything that involves crowds or mass gatherings to slow down the spread. Grocery shopping may look very different in a couple of months. Maybe they limit the number of people in the store at one time. I can guarantee they will put strict limits on how much you can buy to prevent runs. I think it could get very ugly.
What I suspect will happen, is if you look at the CDC quarantine map, in an infected zone that area will be isolated from the rest of the country.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts