Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As the person responsible for my family’s emergency planning since fourth grade, I’ve been using Red Cross checklists for years, learned to pack solid emergency kits, and recently included apps in my preparation. To get an expert opinion about the best (and worst) app features out there, I spoke to two experts, Caela O’Connell, assistant professor at UNC-Chapel Hill’s Department of Anthology, and Mitch Stripling, an emergency preparedness expert and former assistant commissioner of Agency Preparedness and Response for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Fema, Harbor, First Aid, ARC Hurricane, MyShake (quakes), Zello (coms), EPA

I have no experience with these I'm just posting the article.
(hate to admit but I'm not sure how to use phone apps) :unsure:

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,535 Posts
NOT TO state the obvious
BUT
Apps and cell phone stuff only works as a life saver IF the cell system is still functioning.

Reactions: Sailorsam

·
Red White and Blue
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that might be our first clue when the apocalypse happens; cell phone and internet failures.

"What's our bugout plan Mark?"
"Dunno, I can't access my site."

·
Indefatigable
20,822 Posts
Not all SHTFs are widespread and not all will knock out electricity or cell coverage. I'm not one for phone apps even in the best of times, but if you are, they sound like good ones to have.

Reactions: Sailorsam

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
NOT TO state the obvious
BUT
Apps and cell phone stuff only works as a life saver IF the cell system is still functioning.
There are plenty that do not. I haven't read the article yet, but that's only if the app requires a cell system.

And there's plenty of PDFs out there that have great value. All you need is a $15 solar panel and a $15 battery charger to keep your phone running.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Durning Irma. No power. Even though I had the generator up, I recharged my phone (not smart phone) in the car. Land line useless. Cell phone never works well inside house, bad reception and concrete block, though I do know folks call and if it isn’t raining the voice mail is usable at a couple points inside.

Cell towers were overloaded due to everyone using it and maybe some were damaged. Towers have their own generators.

But texting worked, which even my smart phone neighbors were doing. Smart phones started working normally before my phone by about 12 hours, but were ‘slow’ for anything but calls.

So yes, the phones ‘worked’ but apps obviously weren’t able to for 2 days.

Apps would have been useful before the storm and until whatever point the system got overloaded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts