Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
This is a very cool forum, lots of knowledge and lots of great ideas, I'm glad I found it.

I bought a blue 55gallon water storage drum. I figure it can't hurt to have a bunch of clean water.
I'm a little confused about filteration.
1- Since I'll be filling this barrel with tap water, do I need to filter it when I take the water out to use? I have a berkey style homemade setup.
2- should I use some of the "water preserver" 5 year solutions, they don't cost that much and I don't mind spending the money if they're useful.
3- are there other purifying products I should put in the barrel or use after the water is taken out that I should consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.
Mine is city water, one of the best in the nation actually way up here in northern colorado.
The drum is food grade, the blue 55 gallon with two small opening on top.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you have a lake, stream or creek near you it is wiser to stock filters and purification devices rather than trying to maintain water for long periods of time.

However i guess if you live in the desert, you don't have that option.

·
Firefighter 129
498 Posts
There is a water fight already going on in parts of Colorado as well as Arizona. Clean your drum really good and put it where it will catch rain water. Or buy an above ground pool and fill it up. There are many great threads on water purification here on the boards. Welcome to the boards btw.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
There is a water fight already going on in parts of Colorado as well as Arizona. Clean your drum really good and put it where it will catch rain water. Or buy an above ground pool and fill it up. There are many great threads on water purification here on the boards. Welcome to the boards btw.
FYI, it's illegal in many areas to catch rain water -- for good reason -- so do check with local laws first, if you care about such things :)

·
reluctant sinner
20,080 Posts
There is nothing bad in my water. A long time ago before the well I would fill a 5 gal bucket from the creek for my wolf dogs (they live 12+ and 14+ years under my care). That water would grow green slime around the edge of the bucket. I found that a capfull of hydrogen peroxide in the bucket would keep the water crystal clear. I don't like chlorine and would use it rather than drink bad water but i think H2O2 is a heck of a lot safer.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
it was an honest question. i didnt know if there was some mold on roofs that would get washed off and if you drink it you die. but i dont think a guy catching 40 gallons of rain or filling 40 gallons out of the tap makes a difference so kansas is screwed either way he goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so let me see if I understand,
I should add a little chlorine/bleach/h2o2 to the barrel.
-How much? how do I measure the amount I put in
-When I take the water out, do I need to run it thru a filter? do I add something to it before I drink it?
Thanks

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
it was an honest question. i didnt know if there was some mold on roofs that would get washed off and if you drink it you die. but i dont think a guy catching 40 gallons of rain or filling 40 gallons out of the tap makes a difference so kansas is screwed either way he goes.
Actually, the law is a trickle ;) down from bigger policy. The entire run off from the continental divide is managed all the way down through the various reservoirs. In a drought, the mountain towns could really screw the greater Denver area, who in turn could screw the lower plains.

I agree that one person's rain catching is irrelevant, but it's a serious problem that needs cooperation from all.

I think the biggest wars between India and Pakistan have been about water?

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
so let me see if I understand,
I should add a little chlorine/bleach/h2o2 to the barrel.
-How much? how do I measure the amount I put in
-When I take the water out, do I need to run it thru a filter? do I add something to it before I drink it?
Thanks
everything you need to know about bleach -- including storage dangers -- here

·
Firefighter 129
498 Posts
FYI, it's illegal in many areas to catch rain water -- for good reason -- so do check with local laws first, if you care about such things :)
FYI it's not illegal in my area. FYI we also have wells. Wow, the government has really got ya'll by the gonads! I do care about laws, I worked hard to make sure I don't break any. I know thousands in many states that collect rain. I am aware about the water wars, if you'd comprehend my comment to the OP you would of understood as well. Is it illegal to own an above ground pool in the US now? Nope, it's not. That is a fresh water supply in my opinion. Helping the newbies here in this forum and learning is why we're all here right?

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
FYI it's not illegal in my area. FYI we also have wells. Wow, the government has really got ya'll by the gonads! I do care about laws, I worked hard to make sure I don't break any. I know thousands in many states that collect rain. I am aware about the water wars, if you'd comprehend my comment to the OP you would of understood as well. Is it illegal to own an above ground pool in the US now? Nope, it's not. That is a fresh water supply in my opinion. Helping the newbies here in this forum and learning is why we're all here right?
I meant no offense and was trying to do exactly as you state... help and share info. Some people don't know that there are water rights and laws, so I was just sharing the fact that there are :) your suggestion about a pool is a great way to hold extra water without ****ing off the local council.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.