1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kev,

I'll often see a post or a thread from a newbie saying,

"I don't know if anyone has already asked this question, but..."

Is there any way that we can add a section labeled, "Newbies, Read This First"? I think it will significantly cut down on doubles, triples and even quadruples of the same subject matter.

Is this do-able?

Claudia

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Hey Kev,

I'll often see a post or a thread from a newbie saying,

"I don't know if anyone has already asked this question, but..."
That is because a lot of sites want people using the search feature before they post a thread. The moderators of some sites even post comments like "next time use the search feature or search button" to questions that have already been asked.

Both of those are detrimental to the community.

1. People should be able to ask any question they want, regardless if its been asked before.

2. If the only thing someone can say is - "next time use the search feature", they do not need to reply to the post.

When I see people post that "I dont know if this has been asked before, but..." Or the famous "if this is in the wrong section, then please move it...." That tells me those people have had bad experiences with other forums. Those are usually the people that have been driven out of other forums by over bearing moderators.

Is there any way that we can add a section labeled, "Newbies, Read This First"? I think it will significantly cut down on doubles, triples and even quadruples of the same subject matter.

Is this do-able?

Claudia
Negative - I want those questions asked again and again and again and again.

When the title of the thread has certain "key words" in it, then google, MSN, Yahoo, ask jeeves and all the other search engines pick it up. If we only have 1 or 2 threads on a topic, those search engines are less likely to pick up those "key words." When a topic is repeated, over and over on a site, the more likely the search engines are to pick it up and give it a good ranking in the search results page.

I would like to see 10,000 threads with the words "bug out bag" somewhere in the title. Because if you do a google search for bug out bag we are not in the top 50 results. This means we need more bug out bag, kinda like we need more cowbell.

More Cowbell - Video

I will not tell anyone to use the search feature, mainly because I am too lazy to use it. If I want to ask a question that has been asked 5,000 times, then by golly I'am gonna ask it.

When you see those poor, abused people that say "I dont know if this has been asked ......", be kind to them. They are here because the last forum they were in made them leave. Lets not be harsh or rude, lets welcome them with open arms, more bug out bag and more cowbell.

:thumb:

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okey Dokey, Artichokey!

I just re-read my post, and it comes across like I was complaining when all I really wanted was to do my part in making this place as wonderful for everyone else as it has been for me. D'oh!!!

Oh, and BTW...this world most definitely needs more cowbell. ROFL!! :D

Claudia

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Thanks Kev! The internet is crowded with boards where moderator equals tyrant and where newbie bashing is national sport. I've always disliked that. Thanks for not letting this board be one of them.

Wolfe, proud member of the best forum on the web :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is because a lot of sites want people using the search feature before they post a thread. The moderators of some sites even post comments like "next time use the search feature or search button" to questions that have already been asked.

Both of those are detrimental to the community.

1. People should be able to ask any question they want, regardless if its been asked before.

2. If the only thing someone can say is - "next time use the search feature", they do not need to reply to the post.

When I see people post that "I dont know if this has been asked before, but..." Or the famous "if this is in the wrong section, then please move it...." That tells me those people have had bad experiences with other forums. Those are usually the people that have been driven out of other forums by over bearing moderators.

Negative - I want those questions asked again and again and again and again.

When the title of the thread has certain "key words" in it, then google, MSN, Yahoo, ask jeeves and all the other search engines pick it up. If we only have 1 or 2 threads on a topic, those search engines are less likely to pick up those "key words." When a topic is repeated, over and over on a site, the more likely the search engines are to pick it up and give it a good ranking in the search results page.

I would like to see 10,000 threads with the words "bug out bag" somewhere in the title. Because if you do a google search for bug out bag we are not in the top 50 results. This means we need more bug out bag, kinda like we need more cowbell.

More Cowbell - Video

I will not tell anyone to use the search feature, mainly because I am too lazy to use it. If I want to ask a question that has been asked 5,000 times, then by golly I'am gonna ask it.

When you see those poor, abused people that say "I dont know if this has been asked ......", be kind to them. They are here because the last forum they were in made them leave. Lets not be harsh or rude, lets welcome them with open arms, more bug out bag and more cowbell.

:thumb:
I just wanted to say that as a new member it definitely helps for me to open up when you see something like that. Im the type of person that when I don't know something I research about it. Which is my main reason for being here. I know that on alot of other forums I have joined, alot of the members are rude and self know-it-alls. They are ready to prove their knowledge by bashing someone of lesser knowledge. Thanks for the comfort

·
1,794 Posts
Old questions asked again often bring up a new perspective. They always seem interesting despite how many times they have been posted. I have never visited any other site and, after hearing the stories about them, I consider myself fortunate. I would not have remained a member in here for over a year if it were any other way. One has enough grenades thrown at them in life without willingly coming to an on-line site that will result in yet even more grenades thrown at them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts