Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: shot BB guns as a kid 'til I killed a bird. Stopped. Trained in military using M16 & M60 (loved it!). That was 20 yrs ago. Have not touched/fired a weapon since.

Now: Have a 12 gauge dbl Remington. Never used it.

Question/help:
I know if the situation is really bad, I will have to use the shotgun. No doubt. But what if you just want to scare someone off the property? To let them know you mean business? Sure, I can stick the shotgun out the window.
But what if everything is deserted, you've not seen people for days and out of nowhere, a kid (say 14 or so) comes around and doesn't heed your warnings? I'd hate to kill a kid, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

What other type of weapon would be useful? BB gun? Pellet gun? Air?
Can anyone explain to me the difference in these as my weapons knowledge isn't all that great. If I shot, I'd want to penetrate the skin but I'd also like for the kid to be able to dig out what I hit him/her with. And if they came back, I guess it would end with the shotgun.

Or should I just bypass it all and shoot to kill?

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should be more clear: In a SHTF scenario, if things were bad (I guess think Mad Max, or hopefully not that bad), it's not a question of making friends. It's a question of survival. You know nothing about this kid. You don't know if he's a scout for goodness knows how many others.

My original post is wanting to know the difference in the weapons I asked about, what are they good for, etc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If he's 14, kick him in the balls.

An air rifle is great to have for shooting pesky people that you want to scare, but not kill.. It is also great for shooting small varmints without drawing attention to yourself. I shot someone in the arm with 3 pumps of my Crossman 2100 from about 30 yards away and it went into his forearm. It went into his arm but he was able to pick it out. He shot first with his gun, so I was justified.. just for the record.

A real gun will come in handy for people who try to take things from you that are essential to YOUR survival. Thats when the shotgun comes in handy..

·
FNG
106 Posts
A pump shotgun with 00 Buck! If they dont go away when you rack a round in, they will when you pull that trigger! If they dont take the warnings seriously, and its a real threat, they deserve it. Plus you could always fire one shell at the ground near the feet. Thats a great second, and final warning. Nothing beats a 12ga pump shotgun for defensive situations.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I have a box of "rubber" shot (00Buck size pellets) around here somewhere. Not terribly expensive and less-lethal...

When we were kids we were told, though it never happened to me, that the farmer down the road would shoot rocksalt at kids stealing his watermelons.

One the rocksalt weighs less than lead pellets so there is less momentum to penetrate very deep. 2 the salt particles are irregular shape so they don't pattern very well (not so much range) and 3 if they do penetrate the skin at all they are going to BURN!!!! something fierce.

Allan

·
Oooo Crumbs!!!
348 Posts
key words here "less lethal" that lethal word is still in there. Get a copy of one of Massad Ayoobs books and then make an informed choice. I'd recomend either
complete book of combat handgunnery or in the gravest extreme, found both at my library.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I tend to take a grim approach, In shtf my code is as follows: You come on my property i will not be giving you help unless you are a trusted family member or friend, warning shots will be fired and commands will be given to vacate the premises, If they obviously heard me and still continue coming into my property or towards me, I will engage.

They could be trying to steal from me or cause me harm, i will not take chances.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Crossing your land ? - let him be. No need to draw attention.

Rummaging in your garden / shed / etc? A .22 into a tree or fencepost could be used, or a pellet/BB direct hit.

Approaching living quarters? Dead. Agressive posture in response to any warning you were nice enough to give? Dead.

BUT - a polite hello shouted from a respectable distance? To me its worth a parley, see if barter goods / services might be worthwhile. Just make sure someone watches the far side of your location.

·
Registered
871 Posts
if they don't pose a treat and are in need of medical attention i'll render what help i can and send them on there way, my goal is to try to avoid a combat senerio, i don't have military special ops training i do however have good survival skills and medical knowledge , blowing a persons brains all over the front yard with a high powered rifle is the last thing i want to do, for all those who have never seen a shotgun blast to a man's chest don't know what their in for, it's not the movies so be prepared for what you'll see.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This too, is what I want to avoid. My first question when I bought my gun, "which ammo do I need if I don't want a mess?" lol Unfortunately, they were out and I had to get the kind that WILL make a mess! Food for my outdoor animals I guess. yuck!

if they don't pose a treat and are in need of medical attention i'll render what help i can and send them on there way, my goal is to try to avoid a combat senerio, i don't have military special ops training i do however have good survival skills and medical knowledge , blowing a persons brains all over the front yard with a high powered rifle is the last thing i want to do, for all those who have never seen a shotgun blast to a man's chest don't know what their in for, it's not the movies so be prepared for what you'll see.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do not ever point a firearm of any sort - including air guns - at a human being unless you are legally and morally justified in ending that person's life.

You are legally and morally justified only if you or someone else you are defending are in imminent threat of death of serious bodily harm from that person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts