Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been on this forum for a while learning without spending and learning about possible sthf scenarious that may occur soon.

Ive become increasingly worried about my lack of preps, especialy food and water.

I dont have much money and wanted some of your expert advice at getting started cheaply and quikly.

I was considering buying a load of that value bottled water from a supermarket as it is sealed and should last quite a while.

Any sudjestions will be greatly appreciated.

(im 18, a student with a small amount of gov income and i like in the uk so i cant easily get a gun)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Welcome from Dallas Texas to our Community. Good to have you as a member here. Always good to see folks from across the pond. You are right it is very difficult to get any type of firearms in GB. That is unless you are a criminal or extremist. Look for others on this site from Great Britain. You guys need to band together or move to Texas. I have a bunch of neighbors from the UK. DO you have any kind of plan yet? You need to sit down and first thing figure out if the power went down what do you have that does not work. How do you fix those things. Example: Do you have a manual can opener? Do you have food for 72 hours? 3 weeks? 3months? Do you have water stored or water filters? Do you have materials to make your home a safe place from a dirty bomb? DO you have a bug out kit, bag, vehicle? do you have candles, flashlights, lamps and oil? Do you have a solar or wind up radio? Lots of stuff to think about. Use this forum to find friends in the UK and in other places. We truly are glad you are here. Stay with us. Larry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks larry...

I have very little in the way of preps. I will list what i actualy have and a list of what i hope to get very soon.. so hopefuly u guys can give me a bit of a leg up so to speak.

I HAVE:

Camping stove (butane with about 1 and a half small canisters)
Very thick warm sleeping bag
Tent ( popup with 3000mm hydrostatic head.. should be good enough for uk)
Waterproof trousers
Gaters (things to prevent water entering boot from above)
Waterproof lightweight coat
General clothing (needs more harsh weather gear)
Warm hats, gloves, scarfs, balaclaver etc for winter bugging out.
Walking boots (good condition)
Steel toe cap work boots (Bit worn)
Trainers
Few knives (tough but more for food prep than survival)
Axe
Disposable bbq
A few disposable lighters
1 box of safety matches
1 bottle of cooking oil (BBE september 2009.. 1 litre)
Few packs of dried tvp burgers (just add water) (BBE June 2009)
1 pack of bombay mix (was laying around) (250g BBE 7th Febuary 2009)

I definetly need in order of importance:

Water (any ideas on the best way of buying/storing this cheaply)
food (dont eat any meat besides fish so dont want to store anything i cant eat as i rotate...any ideas?)
Torch (is it worth getting a windup?)
Water purification tablets
More butane
more lighters etc.. maybe a magnesium firestarter

If you can think of anything else or have any tips im very thankful

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
The cheapest food to buy is rice, beans, ramen noodles but you need to look at info on long term food storge. There is some good info on this forum and also on Youtube just do a search for long term food storage or long term water storage,so be creative in your searches and you will find all the info you need and more. Also, don't forget to buy spices that you like, like dried onion, garlic, beef or chicken bullion cubes etc. For protection why not buy a machette or whatever size knife you feel comfortable with if you can't have a gun, a good sling shot would also work. Good luck and I hope this helps. Remember this forum is not here because we think that SHTF will happen tomorrow, we just want to be prepared in case something were to happen, so don't feel like you have to buy everything today or tomorrow...the main thing is to start and take that first step one bag of rice, lentils, beans, and next time a water can or first aid kit etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i Know i should not try and get everything at once, But also i know that i should at least have some basic rations of food and water NOW...

I need water.. any tips please
and food.. vegetarian or fish.. not meat
somthing that can be quikly and easily be cooked possibly instant ... by either being boiled or thrown in a fryingpan.. i know there are many threads on long term supplys..but i want basically the equivelant of a bob worth of food and maybe a few weeks worth of water ( as water is harder to last without)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Ask around to your fellow students and see if they can save their soda bottles for you. Empty soda bottles are great for water storage.

Try food co-ops and discount food chains. I'm not sure what all they have in the UK- but ask your parents or some other adults who regularly go grocery shopping where the best deals and cheapest foods are in town.

Ive been on this forum for a while learning without spending and learning about possible sthf scenarious that may occur soon.

Ive become increasingly worried about my lack of preps, especialy food and water.

I dont have much money and wanted some of your expert advice at getting started cheaply and quikly.

I was considering buying a load of that value bottled water from a supermarket as it is sealed and should last quite a while.

Any sudjestions will be greatly appreciated.

(im 18, a student with a small amount of gov income and i like in the uk so i cant easily get a gun)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
i Know i should not try and get everything at once, But also i know that i should at least have some basic rations of food and water NOW...

I need water.. any tips please
and food.. vegetarian or fish.. not meat
somthing that can be quikly and easily be cooked possibly instant ... by either being boiled or thrown in a fryingpan.. i know there are many threads on long term supplys..but i want basically the equivelant of a bob worth of food and maybe a few weeks worth of water ( as water is harder to last without)
If you're looking for specific foods- try tuna and chicken in pouches, rice and raw quick or rolled oats. Very quick, easy to make and very nutritious. Add canned veggies and fruits and you've got a good foundation.

Edited to add- peanut butter and/or a good quality oil is also necessary. (Must have healthy fats in the diet.)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replys... i consdiered refilling previously used bottles but was unsure on life..contamination etc .. does anyone know the lifespan of a bottle of cheap bottled water from a supermarket chain?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ramen noodle packets, brown rice, and sardines are good things. They all pretty well last forever except the Ramen noodles, and they last almost that long. If you can get good clean water and a jug, you can add a bit of bleach to keep it fresh and store it. You don't even have to get bottled. Don't think UK has Walmart, but they have 5 gallons for $1.25 (less than a pound).

Bulk is the key. You have the esentials already for survival it sounds like. You are on the right path. Make sure if you get water to get a new container. Old plastic absorbs oders and sugars and makes it unsafe, bleach or not. Canned salmon or tuna is good too, but don't forget the mercury levels in Tuna. It's not an everyday thing unless you get something like albacore. Even then I'd switch up a bit.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
thanks for the replys... i consdiered refilling previously used bottles but was unsure on life..contamination etc .. does anyone know the lifespan of a bottle of cheap bottled water from a supermarket chain?
Here in the States they have expiration dates printed on them- those dates are often years away from the purchase date. Just look around on the bottle- it's probably on there :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'd venture a guess as to several years. Longer than making your own, but still short. It doesn't have impurities, but it's the seal that makes the system weak. You can get carboys cheap if you look around.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for that.. was just looking for a rough estimate.. a couple of years seems worthwhile.. might buy like 10 or so bottles just to keep me going for a while if the water is shut off.. atm i think i should prep for if i cant get to the shop for food or cant get water because of a burst pipe..

then work on more longterm stuff like full economic collapse

·
Registered
102 Posts
get water filters

and purification tablets. get cheap water bottles that have filters $20 usd. and the purification tablets are easy to carry, small. then start acquiring things like lentils (can be sprouted easily for extra nutrition) or cooked, other seeds, you could plant them or sprout and eat them. just start small.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
May I suggest an addition to bottled water: A water filter. PUR makes one that supposedly takes stuff as small as viruses out, and I think there's at least one other one as good out there.

As for a torch [our 'flashlight'] there are crank and also shake models. Batteries at their best won't last charged for as long as you might need them [there are some precharged rechargeables that only lose 20% of their power after a year on the shelf, but they still lose], and you'd have to either a) recharge or b) replace them, both of which could be problematic, so you are wise to consider non-battery powered types as an alternative.

I don't have a lot of money to put toward stocking up on things either, but every time I go grocery shopping, I try to get something that adds to our preparations. I've found that a local chemist [we call them drug stores and they are more than just chemists here; carry a lot of soaps, lotions, greeting cards and miscellaneous stuff] often puts things on sale very cheap and I watch all the grocery stores' sale adverts.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
When you get your water purification tablets, don't use them unless you absolutely have to use them. Remember you can always boil water in a metal container (old can or canteen cup) to kill any bugs in the water. You can also use a few drops of bleach to clean your water for drinking. Save your tablets for when you can't light a fire and need to clean your water with them.

You might want to purchase some candles to use for emergency lighting purposes and even heating a small area.

Get some books or research U.S. Army manuals online on survival topics. Learn about snow caves, trapping, snaring and how to build a teepee for a shelter. READ as much as you can NOW before things get much worse and fall apart.

You might want to buy some small game traps or rat traps to catch rabbits and squirrels. Once you have them, do you know how to clean, prepare and cook wild game? If not, learn now.

Keep in mind that tools can double as weapons when needed BUT you need to practice with them and get good with them before you need them. Years ago in Europe one of the deadliest fighting devices was known as a war hammer or war mallet. By chance would you happen to have a couple of hammers at home? Over here one of the best hammers we have for combat purposes and survival purposes is a roofer's hammer. One end for chopping and the other end for whacking.

Don't forget about light wire and cordage for use in emergencies. You want cord that is about the thickness of boot laces and in 50 feet or 100 feet lengths. Parachute cord or paracord is what we use a lot of over here.

Make your own tender for starting fires NOW. I would suggest that you consider balls of cotton rolled around in Vaseline and stored in a plastic bag. I would make up 3 bags of such cotton balls with at least 50 treated balls of cotton in each bag.

You might want to also think about putting some old newspaper scraps in some plastic bags to help start fires. The key is to keep your tender, whatever it is, dry and out of the way of moisture.

Another thing to consider is that your ability to start fires may soon be limited when your matches get used up. Think about putting a magnifying glass somewhere in your kit so that on sunny days you can use that instead of matches to start a fire.

What have you got for an emergency shelter? I keep a couple of tarps around where I live to make emergency tents should the need arise. You can wrap up in them to sleep. You can use them to store stuff under or in them. A tarp's use is limited only by your imagination.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Guy, Morrisons and Lidl do 5ltr bottles of water for next to nothing, Lidl also do an ok cheap supernoodle (our version of ramen noodles) 19p a pack they also do a part cooked rice with 2010 UseBy date.

Farmfoods, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi and £1 shops will get you started on food and water preps for the minimum amount of layout.

Wilkinsons do a 120ltr water butt for around £15 and the attachment to your downpipe can be had for around £5, so you can either stick it in the corner of your room and fill it up from the tap or attach it outside for a constant resupply from the guttering.:D:

Keep an eye out in Yahoogroups see if theres a Recyclegroup in your area all sorts gets put up for offer its just hit and miss if you manage to snag anything, just recently we've seen camping equipment and handtools on ours I just havent been quick or lucky enough to have gotten any, the wife on the other hand has gotten stuff for her and the kids some of it brand new with tags.:thumb:

There's an interesting couple of articles on another site I visit regarding emergancy lighting for around the home, pm me for the link to the articles.:taped:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Couscous is pretty cheap and available in bulk, plus it cooks in boiling water in less than a minute which helps to save on gas/time as opposed to rice or other pastas. Add some dehydrated veg flakes, also available in bulk food bins. You could mix the two ahead of time and ziplock them for single servings on the run.

Designate a cupboard and add bottled water as you can. Used bottles can be filled with tap water for non potable uses but label those. And get a portable water filter like a Katadyn or MSR that fits in your budget.

Plan a route to take to get to relatives and discuss this with them as they should, and would be able to prep as well. Plus have some cash in a money belt to help you get there.

A fish bonker used as a baton works well to keep freaks at arms length. The police certainly like to use batons. Add a spike if things get really nasty or a machete if zombies are after you.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
You dont need a gun.
Half the basttle is won by having the basics, just listen to the Guys and you will soon be able to filter through the volumes of imfo that will come your way, soon you will see what is essential and what is not . Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you for all your advice. Youve all filled in the blanks i havent been able to find.. hopefully i wil be getting to morrisons this weekend, if not then next weekend...

my local shop would be a very bad idea for preps as it is very expensive so i would get less for my money, overwise its just over 7 mile walk to a supermarket :S not a good walk and dunno how much i can carry but i might do this for training.

Has anyone else tried this much? if the shtf and u have to walk to the nearest built up area to get extra supplys when u can, can u manage the distance and weight?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts