Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends, I'm so glad I found this forum. Hoping to learn alot and share with you all. Presently totally unprepared and in a bit of panic to find the items my family needs for the troubles ahead. O

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think what really brought it home for me is coming to the realization that our just in time delivery systems provide about 3 days worth of food at your typical grocery store... Any disruption in that distribution chain and you've got big trouble for the vast majority of people, especially big city dwellers... My primary short term goal is to stock pile at least 1 years of food for my family. I figure I have two options, buy freeze dried ready to eat foods, like Mountain House (which I can't for the life of me find a Canadian distributor), or stock pile bulk no name products like dried beans, wheat, canned fruit, vegetables etc... Hoping to hear any suggestions as to what you think is better and WHERE to get it... Seems online resources cater to our American friends only!

Regards,

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
At least some other Candians get it. Can't say the same for my girlfriend or many of my friends. But at 20 years old, who the hell wants to be a prepper?

Sorry, let us add some info.

First I went and bought quite a bit of canned goods and bulk products from Superstore. Now I just get extra groceries every time I am there. I have nowhere near 1 year's worth of food, but I do have food, water, and ways to prepare and consume it squared away. Remember, 1 years worth of food will do you no good if you freeze to death, are dehydrated, can't protect it, or it goes bad. Work towards overall preparedness, not just food. Get water, protection, fuels, and food, and work from a week prepared, to a month to 6 months and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with you that food is probably the number issue to focus on, and that supply chain disruptions are likely.

HippieSurvivalist (in Vermont)

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
At least some other Candians get it. Can't say the same for my girlfriend or many of my friends. But at 20 years old, who the hell wants to be a prepper?

Sorry, let us add some info.

First I went and bought quite a bit of canned goods and bulk products from Superstore. Now I just get extra groceries every time I am there. I have nowhere near 1 year's worth of food, but I do have food, water, and ways to prepare and consume it squared away. Remember, 1 years worth of food will do you no good if you freeze to death, are dehydrated, can't protect it, or it goes bad. Work towards overall preparedness, not just food. Get water, protection, fuels, and food, and work from a week prepared, to a month to 6 months and so on.
It's fine to be 20 and have fun - as long as you're prepared... It's like the grasshopper and the ant.

I've broken my preparations up rationally... Skills, supplies, equipment.

What good is a map and compass (equipment) if you don't know how to use it (skills). What good is it if you know how to shoot (skills) but don't have a gun/rifle (equipment) or ammunition (supplies).

I've also broken stuff down into have, need, want. It's good to know what you have, and what you need. Want is another thing altogether... Sometimes "want" is foolish - but sometimes something small can be a huge morale booster - like chocolate, or playing cards.

I'm constantly working on getting thinks out of the need column and into the have column.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't panic. that is rule number 1. Stop and make a plan and put it down on paper. Get started with preps for the first three days. When you get three days worth of supplies then go for two weeks and so on. Set goals so you can feel like you are moving forward. When you panic you will get frustrated and frustration will lead to quiting. Hang in here with us. It is okay to vent and it is okay to ask questions. Find the good people here and they will help you. Make friends on the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts