Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put out a small garden this year and it did not do well. We think bugs got to it. We also want to turn a spare room in the house into a greenhouse room. it gets plenty of sun and we would have grow lights. Has anyone had success doing this? It's cold in Michigan and a short growing season. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have south-facing windows in my house, so I use a 5-shelf unit to grow seedlings in the spring. I think you should try it.

Good luck :)

·
Do U Want To Live Forever
212 Posts
Just asking some questions. Michigan has a good growing season but sometimes it's the location of the garden and what you planted. If it gets too much shade during the day it won't grow and if it's in full sun it may burn up your plants. And if you don't protect it it's a buffet for deer and rabbits.

Soil and what your planting is important too...melons grow best in sandy soil..corn tomatoes and cucumbers like black soil...so it just depends. Have you though about aquaponics in that spare room?

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
This has been, generally, a poor year for gardeners in many areas.

Interesting idea about the use of your spare room, though. I haven't seen this done. However, I do have a friend that uses the attached garage of her home as an indoor greenhouse. She grows African Violets under grow lights and sells those plants to retail stores. Does very well with that, too.

·
OTP Rebel
997 Posts
My garden is doing OK ,I've done better and done worse ,like last year. 85 in the day ,50's at night with the heat on ,can't help the plants . Then the drought ,then the 6" of rain we didn't need .Then the hail killed the cukes just before harvest . Didn't someone say this would happen ?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
My garden is doing OK ,I've done better and done worse ,like last year. 85 in the day ,50's at night with the heat on ,can't help the plants . Then the drought ,then the 6" of rain we didn't need .Then the hail killed the cukes just before harvest . Didn't someone say this would happen ?
Mama said there'd be days like this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
our soil is so sandy we decided to use raised beds so we could add to it and get the ph right. everything sprouted and then died. We kept up with the watering because raised beds need it more. All of our tomatoes are gone. I tried growing lettuces indoors under lights in Jan and they sprouted and died. I don't get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts