Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined today. We live in Illinois, not far from St. Louis, but our town is still pretty small. We have a nine year old son, Richie. I was lucky enough to quit my job last year. I had to get out of that office before I went as crazy as the old bags I worked with. Now I just clean a couple of houses and an office to make some grocery money. I started homeschooling my son this year. They weren't teaching him much in school, except to love people from other countries and to follow quietly without thinking for himself. We're working really hard to get him caught up in reading and math. I just started preparing for disaster a couple of months ago. My brother has been getting ready for years. The thing that made me start thinking about it was that we had three really bad storms in our town really close together. The last one was terrible. It went on forever. When we finally came up out of the basement, there were trees down everywhere and people were just walking around outside in a daze. You could smell the smoke from houses that were burning and there were all kinds of sirens going, fire, police ambulances. It looked like a war zone. Streets were closed because of downed trees. Police were driving around crazy from one disaster to another. All the stop lights were out. Most of the businesses were closed. I was really shaken from the storm and then my brother came over to start helping clear away a tree that blew down in our yard and started talking about how crazy people would start acting after about three days without electricity. It really made me think about how I needed to prepare to take care of my family. Then I started reading and watching you tube survival videos. I think I've made a good start. I went to Sam's and bought a lot of bulk items. I also have a big supply of garden seed. I've gardened for years and my father has 40 acres in the country where we also grow some stuff we don't have space for here. I used to can a lot, and will start again. We're lucky to have a well in our yard and my father has a couple of wells at his farm. I still have a lot of preparing to do but I think I've made a good start. I'm getting our bug out bags ready-I hope we don't need them though. I'm really glad I found this site, Lots of good info here.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
welcome from texas. You need to meet Big WillieLL66. He is in stLouis. You are much farther ahead than you may think. You have a brother who is like minded. Family can be a really important group. It sounds likeyou have your head on straight. Meet some people on the forum who will help you. there are good folks here. read the threads adn let us hear from you. stay in touch. Make friends who have the same value system you do. God Bless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey becky,
make sure you find some seeds that are not hybrid ones. it should say right on the package. they'll do for one season but you need to find seeds that will produce active seeds in the crop you grow. hybrids wont.

google heirloom seeds and you will get plenty of websites and info on what that all means and where to get them.

if you are really gonna prepare, there are some things you gotta do right. this is one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand about heirlooms and hybrids. I've been gardening for about 15 years. My favorite source for heirloom seeds is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Missouri. I found them two years ago. I hardly order seeds from anywhere else anymore. Right now I'm trying to learn how to collect and save seed from everything I grow. It's actually much more involved and difficult than I would have thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.