Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would firing 00 buck shot through a modified choke be ok? Would it hurt the gun? What about slugs? I'm guessing slugs can only be fired through a smooth bore. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can petty much shoot any lead shot through any choke. Steel shot requires special chokes designed for steel.

You can shoot shot through a rifled barrel or rifled choke. It won’t work very well, but it won’t be a safety hazard.

There are some slugs designed for rifled barrels, usually they are sabot style. You can use them in ‘normal’ barrels, but they won’t be as accurate. However, there is no safety hazard.

I have not yet seen any manufacturer warn against using slugs in any type of choke, but I personally would stay away from full choke or special turkey (super full) chokes. If using a slug was a safety hazard in a particular style of choke, it would be on the box in BIG red letters.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
indeed, i have heard storied of ruined barrels after the slug and choke go flying downrange..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lead slugs and buck shot are fine in a modified choke bbl. They may pattern well, or not- try different loads and find what your gun does best with, then buy a lot of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts