Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I've been reading some of you threads from the outside and decided to make myself legal here. As you can see I live in central PA, a bit outside of Harrisburg. I grew up mostly in the sticks, left for the Military straight out of High School, spent a year in Bosnia, then got out and started my life. I am a senior manger in the environmental field, married with a couple young kids and a dog.

I have been watching whats going on with the world very closely since i matured and started a family. Recently a good friend of mine talked me into reading the book "1 second after". And WOW did that scare the hell out of me. I immediately bought and read "patriots". And wow again. The pace and the interest has really been picking up of how i'm going to protect my family if/when it hits the fan. I'm probably a lot like the rest of you here. Unfortunately I got a late start to this, and the money isn't pouring out of my ears, but i have started putting aside a little here and there, and recently made a few investments. I really need to get on the ball with food storage and can't wait to meet you all and hear what you have to say and advise. i look forward to being an active member. Thanks for having me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the heads up on lights out, will read next. its going to take me forever to catch up with everything on this site. look forward to meeting more fellow pa folks

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome, Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL (bug out location), if needed?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes...i have a ton to do and buy. i am proficient with my AR, and other firearms, and have a small store of ammunition, but i am lacking on the food stores and BOL. I have spoken with my wife about starting to stock up on non perishables and once we reach our desired amount start rotating them and using them before they get too old. purchasing actual survival food will come as money becomes available. we have even discussed a putting a christmas club or something alike, and once a year cashing out on food stores. i have a long way to go, but you have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there!

I am also from your area, although I am closer to York than Harrisburg. If you're looking for a good way to start food stores, might I suggest taking a drive to Sonnewald Natural Foods (in Spring Grove, PA)? They have a bulk food room that is awesome! They sell local produce (some can be expensive), and have a natural medicine section (we're not into that too much, but it's got a lot of stuff). The bulk food room is the reason to go, though. They have grains, dehydrated beans, granola, pasta, nuts, etc. It's been so helpful to us in starting our food storage. I also just purchased a couple of rain barrels there (recycled) for $20 each. I find that there are some items that are expensive (I generally don't shop much in the aisles, although they have local honey, raw milk, etc.), but the bulk room rates are very reasonable, and even comparatively cheap (oatmeal for 0.99/lb, quinoa for I think $3.19/lb).

Anyhow, welcome! (Sorry for the long post!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha...just posted on your intro page sunshine. thanks for the tip, never knew that place was there. i will definitely be checking it out. let me know before you buy any more barrels! i work in the environmental/haz mat field and can get that stuff cheap all the time. i live near lewisberry, so i'm not too far from you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
haha...just posted on your intro page sunshine. thanks for the tip, never knew that place was there. i will definitely be checking it out. let me know before you buy any more barrels! i work in the environmental/haz mat field and can get that stuff cheap all the time. i live near lewisberry, so i'm not too far from you.
I had to look up Lewisberry :) - although we've been here for over five years, sometimes I still don't know my way around! My son goes to preschool across the river near Columbia. I will definitely keep you in mind with regards to the barrels, and if you go to Sonnewald please let me know what you think (I think it's one of the best-kept secrets in this area!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts