Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heart and thoughts go out to those who were affected by the earthquake yesterday which has literally sunk and crashed all of Christchurch, New Zealand's second largest city.

The 6.3 earthquake, while much smaller than the one a few months ago (and some have termed it only an 'aftershock'), caused so much more heavy damage and loss of life - and was a major event which has devastated the whole country. No place in Christchurch is now, or will be for a long time to come I imagine, safe for habitation. Both old and new buildings demolished, the bustle of the city on what was a few moments before, a normal day, in mere seconds, turned to horror and rubble. No place to run, no time to get a bug out bag or run to the BOL. :(

This is a very real SHTF for all who survived and for all those who will help them to recover. And, even today, they have found only 75 bodies but know that hundreds more are still missing and are now presumed dead.

I do hope no one who is part of our community here was there or has relatives and/or friends there. Take good care of yourselves, kiwis! I have known, over the years, so many of you and you are all amazing people. I am sad with you all and hope that, as soon as possible, the phoenix will be ready to rise again, much stronger, from the ashes you are now surveying.

I waited all yesterday, sure that someone would post about this disaster and no one did - I thought I would add my thoughts and prayers to whatever thread was begun. People here are usually so on top of significant events .. did I miss the thread somehow? If I did, mods please move this post to whatever one it should be in and consolidate it all.

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
My heart goes out to them , I've been in similiar situations ,6.2 in the mountains and all the roads were blocked and the week end was full .
Homes were shifted off their foundations and most of the fireplaces went down .
We had after shocks for weeks fallowing ,some large some small , all disturbing .
They are going to need housing right away, schools and friends capable of taking them in . Also they will need storage to salvage what they can out of the mess. dealing with the dead will be the hardest parrt . Pray for them .

·
Registered
402 Posts
My thoughts are with the people of Christchurch. I visited the city about eight years ago and feel saddened by the images of destruction coming out on the news, Fortunately my friends who live in the subburbs escaped unharmed and their home sustained only minor damage, but many haven't been so lucky.

One thing that does surprise me is that despite the earthquake last september many residents didn't even have the most basic supplies stored away, and now virtually all utilities and food distribution is affected so people will be having a very difficult time of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts