1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
I feel for the townspeople and the elected officials. Sure sounds like they have a corrupt problem that needs some serious cleaning!!! I applaud them for wanting to fix it. But the question is... what are their options?

·
Grounded
1,501 Posts
As upset as I am about the suggestion of them declaring martial law until the new police force is able to take over (sound like Iraq to anyone else?), I, too, am glad that they are weeding out the corrupt. The possibility of martial law should not be taken lightly--if they decide to go this route (I'm convinced there are better options)--there needs to be very clear and very reasonable criteria that once met, the National Guard must back off. Not establishing this ahead of time would be like signing away what civil liberties still exist in NY; perhaps permanently.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Wow. This is such a slippery slope and yes, way too extreme imo. It's hard for me to believe that the problem is that bad that it necessitates martial law.

I'm not sure if he truly understands what real martial law is.

INTERESTING FACTS

Martial law is defined as: military rule or authority imposed on a civilian population when the civil authorities cannot maintain law and order, as in a time of war or during an emergency.
Hitler turned Germany into a Nazi dictatorship through executive orders.
Executive Order 10995: All communications media are to be seized by the Federal Government. Radio, TV, newspapers, CB, Ham, telephones, and the internet will be under federal control. Hence, the First Amendment will be suspended indefinitely.
Executive Order 10997: All electrical power, fuels, and all minerals well be seized by the federal government.
Executive Order 10998: All food resources, farms and farm equipment will be seized by the government. You will not be allowed to hoard food since this is regulated.
Executive Order 10999: All modes of transportation will go into government control. Any vehicle can be seized.
Executive Order 11000: All civilians can be used for work under federal supervision.
Executive Order 11490: Establishes presidential control over all US citizens, businesses, and churches in time of "emergency."
Executive Order 12919: Directs various Cabinet officials to be constantly ready to take over virtually all aspects of the US economy during a State of National Emergency at the direction of the president.
Executive Order 13010: Directs FEMA to take control over all government agencies in time of emergency. FEMA is under control of executive branch of the government.
Executive Order 12656: "ASSIGNMENT OF EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS RESPONSIBILITIES", "A national emergency is any occurrence, including natural disaster, military attack, technological emergency, or other emergency that seriously degrades or seriously threatens the national security of the United States. Policy for national security emergency preparedness shall be established by the President." This order includes federal takeover of all local law enforcement agencies, wage and price controls, prohibits you from moving assets in or out of the United States, creates a draft, controls all travel in and out of the United States, and much more.
Martial law can be declared due to natural disasters, Y2k Crisis, Stock Market crash, no electricity, riots, biological attack, .... anything leading to the breakdown of law and order.

This is the 'extreme' example, but I posted it for informational purposes.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Wow. This is such a slippery slope and yes, way too extreme imo. It's hard for me to believe that the problem is that bad that it necessitates martial law.

I'm not sure if he truly understands what real martial law is.

This is the 'extreme' example, but I posted it for informational purposes.
He may not, which is sad really. Even if things were to go over perfectly well and good the fact that martial law was declared for such a non-emergency situation will be used at a later time as evidence that its not such a bad thing to do. This would be a historical "in" for a future maniac to point to its success while implementing a stronger version than the last time.

Reactions: chibbers

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Why don't the fed's come in and clean up the police department? I don't see why civil liberties should be suspended because the mayor and police chief can't get theire act straight. It will probably never come into fruition, however just hearing the thought of martial law being imposed because the system is operated by Idiots really burns my ass as it should everyone. Once a trend starts, the sheeple will buy it up and use it everywhere. The use of martial law should not be taken lightly, by anyone at any time.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Once a trend starts, the sheeple will buy it up and use it everywhere.
Like keeping order on "Black Friday".
Oh nooo's Big sale at Macy's call in the guard!

Its a shame but I think we're a few more idiot stampedes away from this being brought up.

Reactions: Mama Bear

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Seems they should have a mutual aid compact with other police departments. Sounds like the corruption has been a problem for some time and should have been dealt with prior to it coming to this. Federal intervention is not the answer .

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Why the national guard? Is the whole area LE so corrupt that they cannot use County Sheriff's Deputies or NY State Police? Perhaps even mutual aid from neighboring departments?

·
Here To Learn :)
397 Posts
schenectady is not NYC or close to the city. You of all people talk about posting facts and fear mongering and scold people for not getting things right, yet you post NYC thinking about martial law????:cool:

Every one equate new york city as the city itself , not as a city in ny... clarification is key here... big difference between the two places...
The OP wrote "New York city" in the subject line - not "New York City".
Very subtle difference, with not capitalizing the "C", which indicates
a city in New York (state) - not New York City itself.

Nevertheless, I admit when I initially read the subject line, I thought
they meant NYC as well, at first. Then I clicked on the link and saw the
Schenectady story, which I had read about a few days ago.

I looked at the subject line again and saw the "c" in "city" was lower
case, and realized the OP meant a city in New York (state), not NYC.

Not sure if that makes sense, lol - but that's the way I read it.

As far as declaring Martial Law - they are idiots to throw out such
a term for such a minor problem. I highly doubt they know what
the term Martial Law really means, as another poster so rightly
pointed out.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Why can't they call in some help from the state police, neighboring town police forces, or others.

IMHO - Gvt is always just "itching" for an excuse to do the "Martial Law" thing....
Um- because they have their *own* jobs to do and often run short staffed?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Um- because they have their *own* jobs to do and often run short staffed?
Regardless, mutual aid agreements are in place when the "regular" department or agency is rendered ineffective due to and emergency or crisis.

If corruption is so rampant in this department that it cannot be trusted to honorably carry out thier duties and the use of troops is being considered, one would tend to believe that using mutual aid is a viable option.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
schenectady is not NYC or close to the city. You of all people talk about posting facts and fear mongering and scold people for not getting things right, yet you post NYC thinking about martial law????:cool:

Every one equate new york city as the city itself , not as a city in ny... clarification is key here... big difference between the two places...
I did not post "NYC" or New York City with "city" using a capital "C". I posted "a New York city". This IS correct English. There IS a grammatical difference.

I purposely wrote "city" in small caps to differentiate Schenectady with the Big Apple.

The dateline of the article and the first WORD of the story say "Schenectady". I don't see how anyone could confuse my post as something about New York City.

Please don't accuse me of wrongdoing when you are wrong to begin with madam. You are picking a fight where you have no accurate or valid argument.

Just curious, with a username like DILLIGAF, why do you GAF about my post? Or anything for that matter?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
first- there is plainly no a- second of all, how many times have any of us missed capitalizing a letter? I hardly ever bother to anymore. You might not have meant for it to be misleading- but I certainly went into the thread thinking NYC

Reactions: dilligaf

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
picking a fight?

no not really but how difficult would it have been to to put "a" in front of NYc... or " city in NY " makes things much simpler and people wouldnt have read it as NYC..
I didn't do that because I assumed that most people here were intelligent enough to pick up on the difference.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that someone who picks up animal poop for a living is lecturing a professional, paid writer on his craft honed over 30+ years?

Sorry, I apologize, that went a bit too far. But then again, so has your diatribe on a capital C vs. a lower-case c in my opinion.:thumb::thumb:

... and i dont GAF about it but if i read it as such and i see others read it as such then a bit of clarification could have made a bit of a difference ..

further more, i was going to come back and apologize for my own stupidity in reading it as such, but since you have such an attitude( all the time ) i wont bother :D:
Thanks. I'm glad that your reason prevailed. :)

BTW, I did clarify when the issue was raised here. But what I don't understand is the hostile way in which my wording has been challenged. In fact, I don't understand why there is SO much hostility in this forum. I believe that we can discuss and even disagree without hostile words. In past months I've largely ignored attacks like this, but no longer.

However, can we call a truce?

The original issue was a city government talking publicly about declaring martial law and considering using Federal troops as law enforcement as an option of first resort when re-organizing the local police department. That concept scares me. Perhaps someone from that area and culture can give us some background and insight into this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
"Schenectady's Corporation Counsel John Van Norden said, "If you abolish the police department you still have a need - not an obligation - but a need to police the community."

BS. Isn't it in the oath of a LEO to serve and to protect the citizens of the city/town/locale that they are employed in?

And who the hell is this Corporation that I keep reading about everywhere? Did Wal Mart take everything over?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts