Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am looking into building an ar 15 with in the next few months 5 at the most. i always heard it was cheaper and i feel i would get more satisfaction out of building my own rifle rather than putting a huge hole in my pocket and buying one. i have a few question that i know can be answered here.

-has anyone done this in NEW YORK
-on average what does it cost to build$$$$$$$$$$
-what do i need to register is it the top receiver or the lower
-i know all the parts can be found online is there one site that is better than others

my liberal state of new york doesn't like "assault rifles" so i dont even know if this build is a possible. if anyone can help me or clarify things i would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey i am looking into building an ar 15 with in the next few months 5 at the most. i always heard it was cheaper and i feel i would get more satisfaction out of building my own rifle rather than putting a huge hole in my pocket and buying one. i have a few question that i know can be answered here.

-has anyone done this in NEW YORK
Yes It can be done.
-on average what does it cost to build$$$$$$$$$$
Depends, I've seen them built for as little as $300 and the sky is the limit
-what do i need to register is it the top receiver or the lower
the lower is the registered part
-i know all the parts can be found online is there one site that is better than others
For parts of knowledge??

my liberal state of new york doesn't like "assault rifles" so i dont even know if this build is a possible. if anyone can help me or clarify things i would greatly appreciate it

Good luck!
Cityrepo61

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I too am interested in the benefits of building my own over buying off the shelf...although Texas is slightly more accepting in terms of what can be done. Can I save a significant amount of cash by building it myself? Good luck on your NY build...keep us up to date on your progress!

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
With prices climbing you can save some cash building it yourself if you can get around being scalped on the parts end. I have seen lowers going for 100% of what they were going for a little over a week ago. Hopefully the dust will settle and that will change.

Once you have a lower. Any where from $100 to $170 you need to get a parts kit and assemble your lower. You then throw a stock on it. Your choice there are hundreds of them out there. AR15.com has instructions for all of that, just do not be put off by some of the threads, they are killers.

For the upper you probably should not build it on your first go around. This is not the gun though and can be had from $350 to $600. You can even buy the upper through the mail.

At that point you are done. Have fun doing it.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
With prices climbing you can save some cash building it yourself if you can get around being scalped on the parts end. I have seen lowers going for 100% of what they were going for a little over a week ago. Hopefully the dust will settle and that will change.

Once you have a lower. Any where from $100 to $170 you need to get a parts kit and assemble your lower. You then throw a stock on it. Your choice there are hundreds of them out there. AR15.com has instructions for all of that, just do not be put off by some of the threads, they are killers.

For the upper you probably should not build it on your first go around. This is not the gun though and can be had from $350 to $600. You can even buy the upper through the mail.

At that point you are done. Have fun doing it.
Thank you for that...It seems to me that I would be mighty proud of my own build...even IF many people do it all the time like it was nothing...I think that may be the way I go...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.