Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start backpack camping in central Texas. I'm trying to find a low-cost sleeping bag solution as low-cost as possible :)
I am an extremely hot sleeper. I put off so much body heat it's ridiculous lol. Having said that and also living in Texas where it barely ever drops below freezing, I'm thinking a 30F bag would be plenty and also that I don't need anything expensive at all. I figure most of my camping will be done sleeping on top of it lol.
Could anyone tell me what they think of this bag?
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2579726#ShortReviewTitleBar

Also, if you have a suggestion of something better but not much more expensive I'd love to hear it.

Great site. Already read and learned a ton of info from here.
Thanks.
Wes

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have been backpacking for about 13 years and I have found that you are much better buying quality from the beginning then buying something twice.
I would try and stick to name brand gear. When picking a sleeping bag for backpacking the overall weight is very important as well as the stuff size since the bag will be carried on your back and you will want it to take up little space and not weigh too much.

This bag is a bit heavy but Slumberjack has a good reputation for building strong bags.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68537
Finding a bag under $75 that does not weigh much and stuffs down small could pose a problem.

I purchased a Marmot 15degree bag in 1995 and have been using ever since without a problem. It's a Chinook model that weighs around 2lbs.

There are plenty of bargains on sites like ebay also on used or discontinued gear also.

Another good site for cheap gear is http://www.sierratradingpost.com

Hope this helps

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I am in Texas like you...and like you I am a backpacker (more than car camper), so there are a couple things we have in common:
weight savings,
warmth but not too hot,
pack size (volume in a backpack),
cost for value.
I suggest following the thread started by Kev, our supreme leader here, and pay particular attention to my recommendations as well as Professor Cecil Feio...I covet his bag, although it's about 2x the price of mine. If I had a do-over, I'd choose the one he has.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=14244&highlight=lightweight+sleeping+bag

or

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for the info!

After look at that lite sleeping bag thread I realized Kev is in East Texas. Very cool. I was born and raised in East Texas, Athens to be exact.

That thread has some great info. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I'm sure I'll be able to make a decision afterward.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
That bag seems fine for the price. It's fairly heavy for a 30 degree bag, but in order to save one half to a whole pound of weight, you'd have to spend LOTS more money. If I lived in your climate I would thing a 2.5 lb 30 degree bag is adeuate, so long as your total backpacking set up isn't already ridicuously heavy, in which case you would need to spend some money to get the weight down.

If you are a hot sleeper, consider going with a foam sleeping bag pad (~1 lb and $12, along with a lightweight wool blanket. This might work well if you were in a tent.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small world! I went to that TVCC as well when I finished the first 2 years of my CJ degree.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recomend a nice fleece sleeping bag which are very thin and warm. I bought a ozark trail fleece sleeping bag and slept comfortably in 30 degree F a very little breeze. But if you are in a wet environment a fleece would not be helpful because when it is wet you will actually lose body heat instead of regenerating it and conserving it to your body

1 - 10 of 10 Posts