Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a new website out there I wanted to let yall know about, its called alloutdoor.com

http://www.alloutdoor.com/

It is not my website, but the owners asked me to be a guest author. I feel rather honored that the owners of the site asked me to be a guest author.

One of the articles I submitted - http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/11/assembling-noodle-catfish-bowfin/

Couple of other good articles besides mine,

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/11/cookin-out-review-roundboy-wood-fired-oven/

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/14/venerable-30-06/

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/12/hunting-ar-15/

Let me know what you think about my article, and how you like the site in general. The site is just getting off the ground and any feedback would be nice.

Help test the commenting system on the new site by posting your comments there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Interesting article and pretty good site. If they can maintain the quality of writing and the variety of topics it should go over well. :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just became aware of the new website too. But not because of word of mouth, or because someone wrote about it on this forum.

No, I learned about it because they sent me unsolicited e-mail.
And since I did not do business with them or ask them to send me e-mail, and they advertise on the website, and they get paid for "impressions" when my web browser takes me to their website where I see advertisements from their sponsors, that makes it Unsolicited COMMERCIAL E-mail. More commonly known as SPAM. Which is illegal.

Oh, and guess where they got my e-mail address? Most people have no way of knowing how a spammer gets their e-mail address. But me, I am an IT consultant, and I run my own mail server. When I set up an account online somewhere, I create a new e-mail address just for that account. That way, if someone sells me out to spammers like a filthy rat, I can not only tell where the source of the transgression occurred, but also stop the flow of spam.

The e-mail address that AllOutdoor.com sent their spam to was [email protected][myemaildomain].com.

Yep, that's right, THIS FORUM either has a security vulnerability which allows spammers to access your personal information, or the forum administrators are complicit.

Here's another interesting fun fact: The main article that AllOutdoor.com included in the spam, to draw people to its web site, was about the ammo shortage. In the article, they take "a certain online retailer" to task for price gouging. Everyone knows they're talking about Cheaper Than Dirt, and they say so in the comments.

But wait, what's this I see on my screen? An advertisement for CTD, right here on SurvivalistBoards.

Man, the smell of RAT in this room is overwhelming!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, In the time it took to read down this board, follow the link to the web site and begin researching the validity of Scoundrel's comments above I too have received the same e-mail.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,844 Posts
I just don't see the problem. If you don't like spam send it to your spam file. Kinda like if you see a program on tv, change the damn channel and quit bitchin about it.

Thanks Kev. Good article and interesting website.

·
Prepaholic
181 Posts
I just don't see the problem. If you don't like spam send it to your spam file. Kinda like if you see a program on tv, change the damn channel and quit bitchin about it.

I think the problem is alloutdoor.com data-mining this site for email addresses.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,844 Posts
I think the problem is alloutdoor.com data-mining this site for email addresses.
AND? Unsubscribe from them, that's what I did. Hell, just almost about anyplace you go to tries to data mine. I expect it. If I can see a unsubscribe/subscribe button I click the unsubscribe.

If there's not 1 then I expect to get spam from them. The first piece of spam I get from them I go to the bottom of the page I hit the unsubscribe. How hard is that?

·
Prepaholic
181 Posts
AND? Unsubscribe from them, that's what I did. Hell, just almost about anyplace you go to tries to data mine. I expect it. If I can see a unsubscribe/subscribe button I click the unsubscribe.

If there's not 1 then I expect to get spam from them. The first piece of spam I get from them I go to the bottom of the page I hit the unsubscribe. How hard is that?
It's not that big of a deal, I just never expected to get 3rd party spam from this forum. I've been a member of many forums for many many years and have never received 3rd party spam until now.

I find it kinda ironic that Kev cares so much about our privacy that he won't allow Tapatalk or a mobile version of the site, yet he'll allow a new website access to our email addresses.

·
Southern Hemispherian
457 Posts
I too have received an unsolicited email from alloutdoor.com today, and like some others here, I don't appreciate having my email address distributed to third parties.

Kev, what's the go - have our details been passed on or what? I had a read through your privacy policy, and can't see anything that indicates we're giving you permission to share our info with other organizations by signing up - could you clarify please?

·
Threadkiller
1,881 Posts

I realize its not quite the same, but many dont see the problem with NSA either. It all starts somewhere.:)

·
Skeptic
11 Posts
I don't see how data-mining would yield my email address. It's not in my profile. I hope SurvialistBoards.com didn't sell my email address.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just by coming here you have 7 company's tracking you. If you use firefox you should be using an add on called Do not track me.
You would be surprised at who tracks you where.
BTW I never got that email from alloutdoor.com and I even went to the site.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,758 Posts
I just became aware of the new website too. But not because of word of mouth, or because someone wrote about it on this forum.

No, I learned about it because they sent me unsolicited e-mail.
And since I did not do business with them or ask them to send me e-mail, and they advertise on the website, and they get paid for "impressions" when my web browser takes me to their website where I see advertisements from their sponsors, that makes it Unsolicited COMMERCIAL E-mail. More commonly known as SPAM. Which is illegal.

Oh, and guess where they got my e-mail address? Most people have no way of knowing how a spammer gets their e-mail address. But me, I am an IT consultant, and I run my own mail server. When I set up an account online somewhere, I create a new e-mail address just for that account. That way, if someone sells me out to spammers like a filthy rat, I can not only tell where the source of the transgression occurred, but also stop the flow of spam.

The e-mail address that AllOutdoor.com sent their spam to was [email protected][myemaildomain].com.

Yep, that's right, THIS FORUM either has a security vulnerability which allows spammers to access your personal information, or the forum administrators are complicit.

Here's another interesting fun fact: The main article that AllOutdoor.com included in the spam, to draw people to its web site, was about the ammo shortage. In the article, they take "a certain online retailer" to task for price gouging. Everyone knows they're talking about Cheaper Than Dirt, and they say so in the comments.

But wait, what's this I see on my screen? An advertisement for CTD, right here on SurvivalistBoards.

Man, the smell of RAT in this room is overwhelming!
It couldn't be that you signed up for their giveaway some months ago and have forgotten? That's how I got on their email list. And yeah, I had forgotten it too.

·
Southern Hemispherian
457 Posts
Just by coming here you have 7 company's tracking you. If you use firefox you should be using an add on called Do not track me.
You would be surprised at who tracks you where.
BTW I never got that email from alloutdoor.com and I even went to the site.

I use Torbrowser, which should pretty much kill any tracking.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts