Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting some groceries at my local fresh & easy in phoenix today and noticed a new product I'd never seen before.

Nothing turned up on the search on here, apologize if it's been covered before, or if I'm posting this in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Anyway, it looks like a capri sun type mylar pouch, individually packed with a straw. 6 pouches for $1.99, which is 2 quarts of water total. Not as cheap as bulk storage jugs, but might be good for emergency storage. Certainly less expensive than the other emergency water pouches I've seen before.

Obviously it's intended to go in a kids lunch box. I didn't see any expiration dates anywhere. I didn't buy any, maybe next trip I will and see whats stamped on the individual bags.

The funny thing about the product is that it's just tap water from Los Angeles. Hopefully purified more than just straight from the tap. But then again most bottle water like aquafina, dasani, etc are the same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It says it's purified right on the label, so it should not be straight from the tap.

What will they think of next? Purified air in a box?

People would be better off getting a filter or purifier for their tap and filtering their own water. Send the kids to school with refillable containers. Stop making more unnecessary waste.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
Wow, and only $4 a gallon. What a deal! :D:

They have been packing water in mylar packs and juice boxes for years under the name of Aqua Blox and Aqua Liters. I don't see the benefit over just storing bottled water for much less cost. Personally, I can't even justify the bottled water (which I think is the silliest concept I've ever seen anyway). I store in bulk containers. But I realize that everyone's needs are different.

I agree that having a filter is crucial. Nobody can ever store enough water, really. It's always good to have several sources besides storage. Though storage is also extremely important.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
I thought it said Nutria-kist. Never mind.:eek::

Al

Reactions: SGTDuctTape

·
Registered
781 Posts
It says it's purified right on the label, so it should not be straight from the tap.

What will they think of next? Purified air in a box?

People would be better off getting a filter or purifier for their tap and filtering their own water. Send the kids to school with refillable containers. Stop making more unnecessary waste.
It isn't surprising to see a filter salesperson pushing filters, but please don't discount the importance of having some ready to go packaged water. These types of packages are great for BOBs, first aid kits, automobiles, and more.

For everyday use I agree with you, but for disaster preparedness (which is the forum we're in) I think the best option is have have options. Have water ready to go, and learn how to purify it.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
People should have multiple ways of keeping hydrated. Having potable water that can be stored in a pouch that can be kept in a pack is a good thing, whether you have a filter or not.

A filter is good to have too - I was watching a "Mantracker" where he was chasing two LEOs. They were doing good, but one had his water pouch leak and he lost most of his water. They had water sources, but no filters. A simple water straw would have saved them some grief.

The nice thing about pouches for emergencies is that the water is typically pure and you don't have to worry about it becoming contaminated.

Sure, for everyday use refillable containers are better, but hopefully you don't have an need for emergency water every day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts