Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like all kinds of weird new crud going around. :eek:

Oh good, there’s a new virus in Brazil that scientists can’t even recognize

"Researchers in Brazil have discovered an entirely new kind of virus that is so foreign to science that not even its genes have been previously identified. The virus, which is described in a new research paper, was found in a Brazilian lake in the city of Belo Horizonte.

As ScienceAlert reports, the virus has been named Yaravirus in honor of a Brazilian mythological figure known as “Iara,” and it’s posing an exciting challenge for researchers who are working to better understand its genome. The virus doesn’t qualify as a “giant virus,” which the international research team has discovered before, but it’s still incredibly unique.

“Here we describe Yaravirus, an entity that could represent either the first isolated virus of Acanthamoeba spp. out of the group of NCLDVs or, in alternative evolutive scenario, it is a distant and extremely reduced virus of this group,” the researchers write.

“Contrary to what is observed in other isolated viruses of amoeba, Yaravirus is not represented by a large/giant particle and a complex genome, but at the same time carries an important number of previously undescribed genes, including one encoding a novel major capsid protein. Metagenomic approaches also testified
..."

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,722 Posts
Looks like all kinds of weird new crud going around. :eek:

People have no idea what is going on and don't care until it affects them personally.

For ten years I worked part time from mid Nov. to June at a couple different corn research stations where they develop new hybrid corn. It is biotech which is necessary to feed the many Billions of people but in the long run likely will not be good.

Where I worked was quite secretive and only the ones with the PhD's probably knew all that was going on. I only got hired because my cousin works there which he hates but he loves the big money.

I don't know all or maybe even half of what is going on but I try to keep up with some things. Most science fiction books and movies you see about AI, genetic engineering etc etc etc. are coming true.

The great god of Science will not save people. Medicine can be good and extend lives of those who cannot or will not live healthy but still very limited. It is much better to live healthy in a clean healthy natural environment. And what I try to do more and more such as when I finally escaped city life. And I plan to go more off grid than most. Already more than half way there.

People should not live in fear but they Should be aware and not have complete trust in doctors, the gov't and so much more. But live a plugged in life if that is what will make people feel safe, secure and comfy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
From the article:

"Only a relatively small percentage of viruses are actually dangerous to humans in any form."

That is, they are not dangerous until they mutate and make the jump to humans. Or, some moron ingests one.

I wonder how many other dangerous microorganisms were "discovered" by curious scientists, removed from some remote location and brought back to the lab to be studied...only to "escape" later.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely something to keep an eye on. Interestingly enough south america was one of the few places left untouched by COVID 19 (as far as we know).

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
From the article:

"Only a relatively small percentage of viruses are actually dangerous to humans in any form."

That is, they are not dangerous until they mutate and make the jump to humans. Or, some moron ingests one.

Since they are microscopic and therefore we can't see them,
you don't have to be a moron to ingest or inhale one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts