Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,642 Posts
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...x-ray-vision-and-is-all-about-the-urban-fight

With X-ray 360 degree vision. Looks pretty impressive. Do you think it is impervious to most urban attacks?
I don't know about completely impervious but if the right person decided to use what he had available, nothing is impervious. Red a book that was put out by Paladin Press called David's Toolkit: the citizen's guide to taking out big brother's heavy artillery. or something along those lines. When I find it again I will post the real name of it, but in the mean time it says that tanks can be overcome by front end loaders from a side attack. So if there is a will, there is a way.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,506 Posts
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...x-ray-vision-and-is-all-about-the-urban-fight

With X-ray 360 degree vision. Looks pretty impressive. Do you think it is impervious to most urban attacks?
URBAN means streets.
Streets mean sewers.
sewers mean places to travel through and places to set things

Unless the tank viso-ray can see through the road into the sewers it is vulnerable to IEDs just like any other army vehicle.

Ask the Poles about using the sewers to conduct warfare.

·
Proud American Patriot
2,401 Posts
Maybe those with military experience can answer this question: are modern armored vehicles vulnerable to incendiary attacks, as from molotov cocktails for example? I would think that at the very least if you could get one onto an air intake manifold it would kill the engine. But that's just speculation. How well protected is the crew from a fire burning on the outside of the tank?

I do think that as time goes on our big brother will be finding ways to pacify deplorables and other thought criminals, so knowing the best way to deal with armored vehicles could be valuable to freedom fighters.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,642 Posts
Maybe those with military experience can answer this question: are modern armored vehicles vulnerable to incendiary attacks, as from molotov cocktails for example? I would think that at the very least if you could get one onto an air intake manifold it would kill the engine. But that's just speculation. How well protected is the crew from a fire burning on the outside of the tank?

I do think that as time goes on our big brother will be finding ways to pacify deplorables and other thought criminals, so knowing the best way to deal with armored vehicles could be valuable to freedom fighters.
The WWII tanks this tactic would work but with the M1 Abram, it has it's own self contained system for the crew that purifies the air and then another self contained system for the engine. If I am not mistaken, that is one thing that was explained in the book I posted but it could have been another book I was reading so I am not sure, I would have to go back and check it.

·
Retired *****
18,291 Posts
It's a cool looking and high tech main battle tank but in what scenarios do the British figure it would be used? Maybe a Russian invasion of Europe? I guess that's a possibility but to use it within the cities of Great Britain means the war is already lost.

Who is the enemy they are preparing to fight?

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
It's a cool looking and high tech main battle tank but in what scenarios do the British figure it would be used? Maybe a Russian invasion of Europe? I guess that's a possibility but to use it within the cities of Great Britain means the war is already lost.

Who is the enemy they are preparing to fight?
Maybe a trip back to Belfast?

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
The WWII tanks this tactic would work but with the M1 Abram, it has it's own self contained system for the crew that purifies the air and then another self contained system for the engine. If I am not mistaken, that is one thing that was explained in the book I posted but it could have been another book I was reading so I am not sure, I would have to go back and check it.
There is no such thing as a self contained internal combustion engine. They all need O2 and cooling air.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,643 Posts
To answer the OP question, no. It's probably very tough, but simple leftover 155 ordnance mines or inexpensive EFPs can defeat it or at least kill the crew inside with concussion injuries.

A quick search online will reveal videos of simple IEDs and RPGs defeating tanks. Even if the armor isn't defeated the concussion blasts can disable or kill the crew inside.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
The only upgrade on this is the vision kit, no RWS, AWS or passive side armor kits.
Lower hull front is probably still MBT cheese equivalent. ( its a weakpoint of the chally 2 ).

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,677 Posts
The US is going with small drone tanks for urban areas instead.

Ripsaw M5 is an electric remote piloted vehicle that can be belly slung under a Chinook, or slid into a C-130, for very forward deployment.

The guesstimate is they will assign them one per platoon of dismounted infantry, along with a couple smaller drone units that mount a 50 cal on an open topped tracked sled for carrying excess troop gear.

Ripsaw M5

Likely choice for the smaller EMAV drone.

So the typical dismount light infantry platoon will add a 2nd officer to platoon command. A warrant officer to man the drones offsite and be able to help command without as much battle fog to distract him. Platoon commander and platoon sergeant in the field will just have a voice in their ear that helps with overwatch. M5 will be out front with a line squad. 2 line squads on the flanks. Weapons squad and platoon command in the center. A couple of the smaller drones being rear security with some real punch that could swing out to flanks in case a flank meets a vehicle threat. The smaller drones will be used to carry extra ammo and gear, plus double as evac platforms.

Your average US dismounted light infantry platoon is going to end up with some real punch. Ripsaw cannon, two 50cals on the drones, plus 2 AT missiles mounted there as well, and organic weapons of the weapons squad, like a mortar team, a couple MANPADS, and a couple of the new caseless ammo replacements for the M240. It will all be quiet because the drones are electric on rubber treads. Until the LT says Light 'em Up!

A mud hut Hadji village isn't going to stand a chance.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts