Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FOX ON THE RUN
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it from a friend for 300 who got it in a trade. According to the s/n its a 1950 model. (1686XXX). The lever action is pretty tight and the barrel doesn't look shot out. Those of you who know more about them let me know what yall know about em please. Also there is just a tiny amount of surface rust on the receiver and I understand that the receivers are not blued. Whats the best way to remove said surface rust?

Attachments

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Nice score! A pre-64 for only $300? Why can't I have that kinda luck? I had to pay that much for a 6,000,000 range serial number Model 94 AE that dates to about right before the shut down. Definately not the same quality as the one you now own.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Bought it from a friend for 300 who got it in a trade. According to the s/n its a 1950 model. (1686XXX). The lever action is pretty tight and the barrel doesn't look shot out. Those of you who know more about them let me know what yall know about em please. Also there is just a tiny amount of surface rust on the receiver and I understand that the receivers are not blued. Whats the best way to remove said surface rust?
They're blued but the process is not what you're used to thinking about as normal refinishing/bluing.
Part of the problem is because the receiver is not your modern "hard" steel.
To "blue" them, they plated the receiver with iron and then blued them.

Realistically, I'd clean the gun really well. Then use some turtle wax, the paste, and go to town on the gun. You'll keep it from getting any worse and not destroy the value.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have collected, studied and shot these for 45 plus years. I carry a pre 64 model every day in my vechiles, so I do have some experence. Whilibird must have different research than I, as from all my research, pre 64 models werent iron plated just post 64 models. From all my research, the reciever had a high nickle content and even when blued, the reciever was easily worn because the bluing didnt adhere well to nickle. Anyhow these are great guns, easy to pack, and light. Many real outdoorsmen who carry rifles on a daily basis, carry a 94 carbine because of the above mentioned assets.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
WOW! A pre 64' for $300!

Man are you lucky. Take very good care of it and it will do the same for you.

Lucky!

·
FOX ON THE RUN
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well took it down to the range earlier today. i was consistently high and left, no doubt just user error, guess that means i'll have to have some more range time on it (and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all) the only thing i may change is i'd like to but a set of fiber optic sights on it. (without drilling and tapping the gun) and maybe a nice rubber butt pad. nothing that cant be changed back obviously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts