Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I grew up around my grandparents who gardened every year until their passing a few years ago but never took an interest until recently.

While at Sams club I found a 3'x7' raised bed garden kit and decided to give it
a try.

I have always been interested in preserving the past by practicing primitive
skills and was wondering what seeds were better to start with. Modern or
Heirloom.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
MachineMacabre
480 Posts
Welcome, there are tons of information about gardening here. Good to see people carrying on the flame.:cool::thumb:

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Just as well jump in with both feet and start out with heirloom seed. The price between hybrid and heirloom isn't much different, but heirloom probably takes more work. You're not going to feed an entire family from a 3 x 7 bed, so grow some things you all like. If you've got kids, get them involved in the process.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,524 Posts
Any open pollinated seeds are good because they let you save seed for the next year. Hybrids don't breed true when you save their seeds. Some hybrids can be a little easier to grow, but not being able to save their seeds is a dealbreaker for me.

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts
welcome to this forum,
best bets would be to start with a few simple crops like beans and spinach and cucumbers and the such. little effort involved. decent yield for a few plants. also invest in plants like rhubarb that keep producing year after year (and usually more each year).

practice will make perfect (or close to it)

and keep at it. best of luck

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Forget 'modern' or 'heirloom'. What you want is open pollinated, i.e., not hybrid seeds. There are still open pollinated varieties being developed now; it's not just 100 year old tomatoes and the like.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
If I was a first time gardener, with a 3'x7' plot, I'd plant all Hybrids.:D:

Sorry to buck the consensus, but the OP would probably be more content with a higher yield than saving seed.

It would help to know the types of vegetables you like.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
someone told me you cannot plant tomatoes and potatoes near each other. Is that true and if it is why not???
My potatoes are usually harvested by the time I plant tomatoes, so they never get a chance to fight with each other.:D:

·
566 Posts
pstboss,
...ditto...I grew up in a family who always had vegetable gardens...and like you, never had an interest until last year.

My (limited) experience
1. raised beds or containers, if your yard dirt/space is lousy & it's the quickest - but not the cheapest - way to get a garden spot ready
2. in this case, count on failure, but try your best - google a lot - take notes - print instructions off the 'net
3. don't try to grow everything your 1st year - pick 2 or 3 items - use the cheapie seeds to learn...buy the heirloom/non-hybrid for later
4. with the small raised beds or containers, check out square foot gardening - some folks say it's a crock, but I'm going to try it this year - can't do worse than I did last year

...and best of luck to you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts