Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished building my square footage raised planter bed, and am wanting to start planting. What can I grow in the winter months? The winter temps here average in the low 20's, with the once in a great while dip into the single digits. We get snow once or twice a year, and it never sticks for more than a week at the most.

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
I can’t think of any garden veggie that actually grows at 20 degrees. There are number of veggies that are more suited for cool autumn and early winter temperatures. Turnips, cabbage, collards, & kale, will withstand a few frosty nights. You can extend your growing season inexpensively by using cloches or cold frames (small portable green houses) in your raised beds.

Fall is a good time to plant garlic, shallots, and flower bulbs. Winter is the time to sit by the fire with your seed catalogs and your graph paper as you map out your spring garden. Happy gardening.
VW

·
Registered
806 Posts
hmm - better fill in your location info, at least in generalities. And make clear when you are talkig Celcius and when you are talking Fahrenheit. Its the only way to get useful info about gardening.

·
<< This Space For Rent >>
72 Posts
And when it's too cold for you to grow outside in the raised beds, you can start seeds indoors and have lots of plants ready to go when the weather gets warmer in the spring.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts