Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silent Observer
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was wondering if there are any people here on the forum from the Western North Carolina area (Nantahala, Bryson City, Asheville area) who know of any store where you can go in and buy sacks of wheat.

I've been reading other posts from people saying they just go to their local feed stores that sell wheat in sacks that is much cheaper than buying online and having it shipped.

South Florida has no stores like that anymore, but I will be in NC this summer and hope to buy some. I looked online for feed stores in these areas, but they mostly appear to be Sthil tool stores or, just gardening stores.

Maybe I'm not looking under the proper type of store?

Any info is appreciated.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I live in the area you mentioned. Unfortunately, I am of little help in that regard since I have not found any myself yet. However, they HAVE to be here somewhere. A lot of people in the 'countryside' have animals. I did find that searching the Asheville area using 'feed and seed', 'feed & seed' does not reveal much (since there is a small place down the road from me that used to be a feed and seed store, but, is called "Feed & Seed" and is now a 'nightclub' of sorts so it comes up over and over).

You might try under animal feed supplies. I think I found a few (a while back) that might be what you (and I) seek using that approach (skipping the 'seed' part that is) but I have not yet explored further since most appeared to be in outlying towns and I live closer to Asheville.

TSC sells some animal feed, I know. There is a TSC in Asheville. We also have a local 'organic' type foodstore in Asheville (2 stores) called Earthfare. I noticed just the other day that they now seem to be selling bags of rice, and, I believe, other grains (though I am not sure about wheat) in 25 lb bags at least. This is new for them so people must have asked for that - and I hope they continue and begin to stock even more things in large bags. You might check them out. They have a website I think and you could even call them. There is a coop in town too .. French Broad Coop .. which may have either that sort of thing (haven't checked yet as I don't get down there much) or have a source you could further investigate.

·
Registered
33,828 Posts
Hello all, I was wondering if there are any people here on the forum from the Western North Carolina area (Nantahala, Bryson City, Asheville area) who know of any store where you can go in and buy sacks of wheat.

I've been reading other posts from people saying they just go to their local feed stores that sell wheat in sacks that is much cheaper than buying online and having it shipped.

South Florida has no stores like that anymore, but I will be in NC this summer and hope to buy some. I looked online for feed stores in these areas, but they mostly appear to be Sthil tool stores or, just gardening stores.

Maybe I'm not looking under the proper type of store?

Any info is appreciated.

I couldn't find any that carried it, I had to go to a LDS cannery to get it

·
Silent Observer
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - even though there doesn't seem to be any wheat locally to be had - at least I can focus on other avenues.

Very helpful - thanks :thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Thanks guys - even though there doesn't seem to be any wheat locally to be had - at least I can focus on other avenues.

Very helpful - thanks :thumb:
Have you looked to see if the Mormons have a cannery nearby? They have good prices. You can also pack it in buckets or cans with O2 absorbers there pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts