1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
313 Posts
cool , bullet for underwater uses .the russian spetnaz uses them for years ( altough they where big as darts) . now the real innovation will be to find an optical device to compensate the water refraction ( aproximatly a 1.33 refractive index) that can be operated in field ( or sea in this case) conditions by a regular special force soldier.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Shooting from underwater? I'd be more worried about the gun than the ammo.

Reactions: robbiec

·
Registered
313 Posts
Shooting from underwater? I'd be more worried about the gun than the ammo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS_Underwater_Assault_Rifle

in this gun , the bolt can move because the rear end of the reciever is open.

all cartridges , by definition are sealed so that there will be no water between the bullet/dart and the primer , therefore the powder can explode and push the projectile.

im sure all the parts recieve an extra coating against sea water corrosion , like the mossberg mariner shotgun but much more durable

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
I'm curious about the distance it can travel in water. Supercavitating or not, water is heavy.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,554 Posts
I think the idea is that the bullet only 'sees' a very tiny cross-section of the water it travels through; that being the cross-section of the very tip of the bullet where it meets and cavitates the water. The rest of the bullet experiences very minimal resistance at it travels in the cavity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval
That reduces friction where the water would have normally touched the bullet. But there's the drag incurred by pushing the weight of the water aside. That's what has me curious.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Well kudos for the ingenuity...

but just how rarely does anyone need a waterbullet, and just how much more rarely are there going to be a big pile of the things laying around when they are called for?

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
the russians have a missile/torpedo that uses supercavitation to give it extremely high speeds but its an active method. it isnt mentioned in the article how the bullet achieves supercavitation. im curious how they get the bullet to do that...passively or actively and if its actively thats gotta be a PITA to do.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I could really see a need for these at the mall. If terrorist make it past my main guards and kidnapped the mayors daughter and threatened her virginity.....hell, I could hide unsuspectingly in the dolphin fountain. When they come near to sit or steal money from the fountain............pop pop pop. It would be all over. The mall would be safe, virginity still good, and I would probably get promotes to sgtmaj of the national mall special tactics and. Weapons teams. I'm going to order some. Hope the shoot good out of my Kaiser defence with monolithic upper. Makes me happy I bought that water proof aimpoint last year. I think ill practice in the kids pool in back yard first. Maybe jumpin the pool and shoot some whole chickens or melons with a tactical snorkel on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts